PREACHER from AMC - The Next Biggest thing on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Maybe.

I've been waiting on this since I first heard that it was in development with HBO.

The comic, itself, is arguably way more important than any other comic book adaption to TV. The comic paved a lot of ground that had therefore never been trodden...and now it's up for television to do it justice? Well, from the trailer it seems to deviate quite a bit from the comic, yet it captures the spirit. If hits most of the major beats, though, it should be a whale of a show.

http://screenrant.com/preacher-tv-show-trailer/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)

Mr. H likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Saw the promos then
    forgot about it , any good ?

3. EVOLVIST

Hasn't started yet. It's expected Mid-2016, which I take that to mean the summer.

Scope J likes this.
  4. EVOLVIST

Mr. H likes this.
  5. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Preacher pushed the boundaries in every direction, not the least in its kaleidoscopically colourful language. I can't really see how an AMC series can capture the insanity of the comic, even though that trailer is certainly promising.

I know a Preacher TV series has been pursued for well over a decade, and the success of The Walking Dead on AMC is almost surely the major reason for it finally being made, but...I dunno. Some titles simply find their best expression in the funny pages, and too much of their essence is lost in their translation to other formats.

Nevertheless, it looks promising...

EVOLVIST and Mr. H like this.
  6. EVOLVIST

I see what you're saying. There have been changes, and even though they didn't have to, they consulted with Garth Ennis at every turn. To my knowledge Garth didn't bat at an eye; he approved everything (take that as you will).

Also, it should be pointed out that Sam Caitlin from Breaking Bad fame is a showrunner. I hope that's as much of a plus as I think it will be.

Lastly, we'll see how the language and some of the more risque parts pan out, but I know AMC has been in talks with the FCC over language content, and from what I gather it's AMC's choice now.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The pilot is directed by the unlikely team of Seth Rogen and his co-directing/writing/producing partner Evan Goldberg.

8. EVOLVIST

Which I find fascinating in that surely the trailer is from the pilot...and it looks so good!

Then again, it's usually easier for the comedian to transfer to drama than it is for the dramatic actor to transfer to comedy.

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

The description makes it sound simultaneously compelling and a possible mess. Some interesting concepts and characters, but so much going on that it could turn into a mess if not handled carefully (I'm looking at you Heroes).

10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I used to be a big fan of the Sandman and Constantine comics, so this sounds like it could be right up my alley. Here's hoping they have some strong writers.

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

For folks that like the comic, I hope they get a great TV adaptation.

I sense that saying the comic "is arguably way more important than any other comic book adaption to TV" might be a bit of hyperbole, only because I had never heard of this comic book before. Or maybe it's not so much hyperbole than not having a lot of good "comic book to TV" adaptations to compare.

It appears the book had a five-year run that ended 16 years ago. It's striking me much more as a somewhat "cult" item based on the descriptions of its following I'm reading. It seems to have a strong reputation among some comic book aficionados.

The premise doesn't sound terribly interesting to me. Ironically, the *premise* of "The Walking Dead" sounds far more interesting to me, while this TV adaptation of "The Preacher" could easily be better executed as a TV show compared to "The Walking Dead."

12. EVOLVIST

Perhaps we should forget that this show is adapted from a comic book. Whatever fans of the comic it turns-off (and it will - those strongest members of the "cult"), will not matter, because most of the viewers will either dig the story, or they won't. I think the comic will have very little to do with it.

The Walking Dead, it's easier to capture that audience, because it's still an ongoing series. It's very tied to the book. Still, it's a very flat story compared to Preacher, in that Preacher has a tremendous amount of layers.

I think Preacher will rise or fall based on people's willingness to accept a strong story, regardless of the comic, that will slaughter sacred cows, defile certain beliefs, and break certain cornerstones that the US was founded upon.

If well executed, it could very well be the next biggest thing on TV, provided that the viewership embraces the aforementioned twisted spin on religion.

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

After Buffy/Angel/10 seasons of Supernatural/Blood Ties/Dresden Files/Lost Girl/Constantine/Lucifer etc. etc. I'm kind of tapped out of black eyed demons etc.

What's new to see here?

wayneklein likes this.
  14. EVOLVIST

John Wayne.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looks interesting.

Good time to start up as most series will likely be close to done.

16. EVOLVIST

17. EVOLVIST

A new teaser for Preacher. May 22nd.

Mr. H likes this.
  18. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Here's hoping that it is the next big thing. Should get my graded copy of number 1 back from CGC just as the pilot airs :) $$$$$$$

Beyond the fact that I'm hoping because it will drive up the price of my number 1...I've always loved the Vertigo Comic line from DC. I hope the TV series will be just as good as the comic book was. It's the only thing that DC/Warner Brothers hasn't F'd up yet. BTW, that Fox TV series Lucifer is very loosely based on another DC comic that is in the Vertigo line and the character premiered in my all-time favorite Vertigo series Sandman.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So he's playing himself? Ugh, another reason I'm disinterested.

GodShifter and smilin ed like this.
  20. EVOLVIST

Haha! Actually, I don't know the exact specifics, but it turns out they didn't cast Tom Cruise. Somehow they took archive footage of him and, for lack of a better word, "pranked" him on the show. In other words as the British would say, they're taking the piss out of Tom Cruise in Preacher.

Deesky likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, that's much better then, but the show's still not my cuppa tea, gov'ner.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Oh, I loved the Sandman comics. I need to read those again!

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, the preview looks great.

24. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I'm hoping that if Preacher does well that some cable company might bring back Constantine. That was a really good show that had a lot of little easter eggs for us comic book geeks :)

25. EVOLVIST

I found a great little Red Carpet Preacher Q&A from SXSW. It's really pretty enlightening about the series...but of course it's also a bit of a sales pitch, so we shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.