Preamp Advice (All-around, not simply phono)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JamesRR, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream Thread Starter

Did a quick search and noticed a lot of threads on phono preamps - but wanted to ask people's opinions on decent preamps overall. Looking to spend no more than $1000 - planning to connect turntable, tuner, CD player. Was eyeing the NAD C 165BEE but there seems to be a number of people who've had mechanical issues - power buttons not working, that sort of thing.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

2. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

what features are you looking for? just a preamp? phono included? dac built in?

3. JamesRR

Yes, phono input. No built-in DAC needed. No need for USB, etc. The basics. If it has these, fine, but I don't have a need for them.

4. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

5. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

SS only?

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Remote required?

7. JamesRR

Doesn’t have to be SS
    No remote necessary.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

9. JamesRR

10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

It has as many inputs as you specified. A bit of mission creep, maybe? :)

Cannot imagine why you would need or want treble/bass controls.

Have you thought about going secondhand (trade in from a dealer), that would open up a whole other works of higher end options.

TEA FOR ONE likes this.
  11. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

When I had separates I had a Yamaha C-4. It was very feature rich, but also had a bypass for the tone controls. Obviously it is an older, used product, but if you find one in good shape it is a gem worth snagging and servicing IMO.

12. JamesRR

Id consider another older unit in good shape. I’m replacing a Sony ES preamp that’s got various issues but no one will fix anymore, though, so that’s why I was leaning to something new.

13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I was just thinking that I bought my Simaudio Moon 340iD (integrated, but the principle is the same) as a dealer trade-in (12 months warranty) for less than £1.5k compared to it's UK retail price of around £4.5k.
    The other advantage is that, having known the dealer a long time, I am confident that I would get good support even if something went wrong outside the warranty period.
    And that Simaudio support their legacy products better than Sony appear to do.

14. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

15. CX2000

CX2000 Well-Known Member

Another oldie but goodie (YMMV) is the Yamaha C80 orC85. Two phono inputs (MC & MM), tone bypass, 2 sets of pre outs, and if you want tone control, a parametric tone control (freq and bandwidth). A newer Yammie pre would be the CX-1000 or CX-2000. Highly touted by some but a bit above $1k would be the C-2x.

16. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I'd consider a used Croft Micro 25 with built-in phono stage. I've owned mine for around 5 years and love it. Plus, being hard-wired with tubes, it's upgradeable in a number of ways, which is probably where I'm going next, since it's low on disruption and high on value for money if you're in for the long term. It would have to be well matched to the power amp and you'd also need to reverse polarity on your speaker cables since, I'm told, a single Croft component will invert phase.

17. I have an NAD C165 BEE Preamp for over seven years and haven't had a problem with it. The phono section is great and it is paired with an NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier. I have a turntable, universal disc player, CD player and a tuner hooked up to it.

RDriftwood likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

19. JamesRR

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some nice looking units here.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Anyone know if the Akitika PR-101 is any good? Available for $450 as a kit or $650 fully assembled. I think there is an option for adding a phono pre as well.

No experience with this unit, but it looks decent for the money and might fit OP's needs.

21. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Quad Artera Pre - new 2019 product. I'm hoping to demo this in a few weeks. Might be just above your budget but thought it may be of interest.

Artera Pre – Quad (Quad website)
    Quad Artera Pre-Amp Brings Back Tilt Control To British Legend | StereoNET United Kingdom (online article - overview)
    Quad Artera Pre (2019 analogue preamp) (forum thread started by me - not much more than online info currently available elsewhere)

Just Walking likes this.
  22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What model Sony do you have? Their ES and earlier preamps are worth fixing for a multitude of reasons. You may want a second opinion about the correctness that no one can fix it.

23. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

The StereoNET article about the superb looking Quad Artera said that the tilt control was a Peter Walker creation. Although PW created some landmark designs, the tilt control was first published in Wireless World in March 1970 by R. Ambler. That was later modified by Peter Baxandall, published in Talbot-Smith, Audio Engineer’s Reference Book, 2nd edition, 1999, noting that he had developed it in 1979.

It was Baxandall's modified version that Quad adopted in the (later model) 44 and 34, and returns after decades of no tone controls in the Artera Pre. So alas not PW's design at all.

The tilt control is a very subtle one, tilting the frequency response either up or down in 1dB steps to a maximum of 3dB pivoted around 700 to 800Hz. It's real purpose is to shift the tonal balance precisely and subtly to compensate for overly bright or overly dull recordings.

2channelforever and RockAddict like this.
  24. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Although not for the Artera, there is a comprehensive technical review of the 1980's Quad 34 preamp here Quad 34 Preamp Review . The relevance being that is shows measurements of the tilt control, which will be identical in the Artera.

25. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Used. Threshold FET Two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.