Preamp - does brand make any real difference?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beachtraveler, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member Thread Starter

I have a cheap phono preamp running from my older Technics tt to my Denon AVR2300W. I don't want to spend a ton of $$$, as we just bought a Paradigm Sub10 that set us back a cool thousand.

Any suggestions on how to spend the least amount on the preamp and still get decent quality sound? Any recommended brands?

2. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I don't know what your price range is, but a phono preamp makes a huge difference on the sound of your rig. It's one of the biggest difference makers in my system. Get a cheap one now and upgrade later, or get the best that you can afford.

3. Beachtraveler

Define "cheap". I have what was called a "cheap" one from the seller. It's a no-name brand I believe, I'd have to check. Are there any good ones in the under $200 range, or am I looking at significantly more to upgrade to match my current setup? I saw reference on another thread to $2-3k preamps! :sweating:That's not realistic for me when my entire set up cost me around $3500-4000.

4. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I have not heard one, but a lot of people here are really fond of the one by Lounge Audio. My understanding is it's around $300 and it's said to sound better than some costing more.

Pro-Ject, Music Hall, and Rega make inexpensive ones as well.

russk, Helom, chili555 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Check Audio Advisor or Music Direct. They have a bunch of phono preamps around your price range.

bhazen and Beachtraveler like this.
  6. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

7. stefanb

stefanb Forum Resident

8. Beachtraveler

Another question is, are they all the same set up, or could my system require a certain type of preamp? The Denon does NOT have a phono jack, but does have RCA cable jacks (I use the CD ones). The turntable has non-removable RCA cables, so I'm stuck with that set up for the time being.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My old preamp just went wonky so I hooked up a spare nad integrated. No phono. I will probably get a mani. But Longue gets a lot of props here.
    P

10. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Bellari tube phono preamp? About $275 new, maybe a used one?

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Preamps are the one thing I'm always puzzled about. My HK system has a phono setting - two actually - and a bunch of frequency settings, and of course, a mono button. So, would I get any meaningful upgrade by going to a separate phono unit?

Beachtraveler likes this.
  12. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

13. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Hagerman Bugle 2. It's awesome.

Leigh and Mr.Sneis like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm not sure I completely understand the question or questions. Not all phono stages are the same, they sound different but essentially do the same thing. The exception would be if you get one that has compatibility with a Low output moving coil.

You can use any rca input from the phonostage output to the receiver as long as it isn't a phono input. The fixed rcas on the table are irrelevant.

The real question is "how much time do you spend listening to records?" If it is only a couple hours a week, get the schiit. If more, spend more. I would much rather put $1,000 into a phonostage than a sub woofer.

15. mrvco

mrvco Well-Known Member

I bought the Schiit Mani on a whim and have been very happy with it (Rega P3, Dynavector 10x5). I liked it better than the well regarded phono stage in the Rogue Audio Sphinx v2 (which I no longer own). I haven't felt the need to spend more, but if I do, I'd keep the Mani as back-up.

Wounded Land likes this.
  16. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Phono preamp can make a huge difference in sound quality. It is up there in the top categories that determine the sound of a system, but it is always secondary to the speakers and source.

17. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Does the brand make a difference?

Hell, yes.

Does how much you are prepared to spend make a difference?

Uh, yeah.

What's your idea of a "good" phono amp?

For about $200 you could be looking at either Pro-Ject or Cambridge. Still, lots of potential contenders.
    Take the time and effort to find something that would make you happy.

TarnishedEars and Beachtraveler like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Beachtraveler, buy something in the price range that makes you comfortable. Do not get hung up on brand. There are lots of good products out there in the sub-$200 range and there are also pure hype products that get pushed by various dealer website and catalogs. Focus on getting the features you need, narrow it down to 2-3 units, order those, and make up your mind based on how it sounds in your system. Then return the ones that you decided not to keep.

19. Beachtraveler

Good point. I probably spend 2-4 hours a week listening to vinyl, so I don't want to make a HUGE investment in a phono preamp. I'll check out the Schiits (lol), and see what they've got in my price range.

displayname likes this.
  20. Beachtraveler

To be honest, I'm not sure what my idea of a good preamp is. I guess one that makes my vinyl sound better and one that doesn't require that I crank the volume up 50% higher than I do with other audio components. As usual, it appears that there are so many options out there and everyone has a different take. Wish I could hear them all on my setup before buying!

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You are going to have to adjust the volume no matter what. There are some phono pres with adjustable gain, but cranking up the gain to insane levels will just result in noise and distortion. Not good. Most manufacturers spec their phono pres to run with something like high 30s to mid 40s db of gain for moving magnet carts. If you need LOUD LOUD LOUD your best bet is to get a high output DJ cart, assuming your table can take it. Most MM carts have output around 4-5mv, which isn't a lot. One of my friends uses a set of DJ carts that output around 8mv and are very loud. He also runs a DJ mixer in place of a phono pre.

My advice would be to run just enough gain on your pre (assuming you get one with adjustable gain) to make things work without extra distortion.

nm_west and KT88 like this.
  22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Wow, what a mess this thread became in a hurry. Probably six contradictions here. What you are asking for is what nearly everyone is looking for; the best performance for the lowest amount of money. You'll never be able to decide based upon such wild variations in response from a large group of people. More responses will just introduce more absurd options that you'll never be able to see, hear, afford, etc. In a moment, the "go vintage" crowd will enter... good lord.

Look, you live very near a large metropolitan area. There must be a minimum of four or five decent audio shops in and around the Portland / Vancouver metro area, all within an hour to you. Thousands of members here would kill to be in your shoes. Just locate the shops on a map, take a day, drive there, and look at what is there, talk to the staff, listen to any gear on display and make your choice based on solid, real world experience backed by local service. Pick the shop that offers the best gear and friendliest advice and establish a relationship with someone whom you can trust when you need to make future purchases and get advice. Let them know that's what you want and they'll show you what they've got.
    -Bill

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is solid advice but might be overkill if your just looking for a $200 phonostage for your avr.

I would however follow this advice and call ahead to make an oppointment. As you well know and the op may not, not a lot of guys are working at the audio shop. It can turn into a frustrating experience for everyone involved.

displayname likes this.
  24. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Well, there is no free lunch. It is not so much about the brand, per se, than about the quality, and that definitely varies.

TarnishedEars and Helom like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

No matter what, you are not going to get a $1,000 preamp quality for $100.

I if you want a good solid SS preamp, for a little bit of money, go for the Emotiva.

One of our members had one for sale for $110, shipped. It was just listed over a week ago and is now the listing is marked as sold, but without any further posts on the thread.

I had intended to recommend this unit to you.

But Emotiva has the same preamp new, the

XPS-1 HIGH PERFORMANCE PHONO PREAMP, new for $179.

[​IMG]

This is a nice SS phono pre. I doubt that you will find anything better on the market, new, for this price.

I have the same unit, but it is on the inside of a 4-selector RCA remote controlled analog switch box, it is wired to the 4th selector switch.

It is currently being used on a restored Vinyl Nirvana, Thorens TD-160 Super TT, with a Ortotofon 2M Bronze and Black cartridges.

My next purchase, will be a move to tubes, as one of my systems is pure tubes, but the tube phono pre-amp that I will be purchasing, will be over $1K.

I believe that the Emotiva will be a good choice for under $200, it should serve your needs well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.