Preamp for Dynaco ST-70 Clone

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by slovell, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions for a tube or SS preamp for my ST-70 clone. Budget's around $500 to $600.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

There are a million potential choices. You need to narrow things down a bit. Like, do you need gain for a phono, or are you doing CD/Digital only? One input ok, or multiple?

jeff

3. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Dynaco PAS would be the natural partner - also lots of modifications and parts out there for this preamp. A stock PAS - especially with aged parts - can sound rather "tubey" / overly warm, but a new power supply cap, plus coupling caps really helps.

I recently built a "new" Dynaco PAS that has all new parts, including the chassis, for ~$500. It's a really good sounding preamplifier.

SS alternative: Adcom GFP-565

4. slovell

No phono, I've got a Jolida JD9. I'm using a Marantz AV-7005 prepro with Adcom amps for everything at this time. Once in awhile I hook up the ST-70 to the Marantz for a 2-channel setup. I love the sound from the ST-70, much smoother and more detailed than what I get out of the Marantz. What I want to do is put together a 2-channel system using the ST-70 as my amp. I want to hook up my tubed Jolida JD100 tubed CDP and my JD9 phono pre to a tubed preamp thus giving me an all tube stereo setup. I've also considered selling the ST-70 and buying a tubed integrated but the ST-70 sounds so nice I'm reluctant to go in that direction. Decisions, decisions.

5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Schiit Saga, $349
    Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Your Jolida Jd9 has a ton of gain. You don't need any extra gain from a conventional preamp. The Saga uses a single 6SN7 for buffer duties if you need it, and can be ran completely passive if desired too. Schiit's Freya at $699 is pretty close to your stated budget too.

slovell likes this.
  6. slovell

Would a Jolida JD5T be a good match? I've been offered one at a very good price.

7. slovell

The JD5T sounds outstanding matched up with my Dynaco ST-70 clone. This is a killer preamp for the cost.

33na3rd likes this.
  8. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I have a original ST-70 that I power up once in a while. For a pre-amp I use a Vincent 31 (hybrid tube). They seem to compliment each other okay.

[​IMG]

slovell likes this.
  9. petercapo

petercapo Member

Hello slovell:

Exactly which version of Stereo 70 "clone" do you have, please? The original Dynaco Stereo 70 can be used with any preamp. Yours can also probably be used with a wide range of preamps. But, believe it or not, depending on which modification yours has, you may or may not be able to use it with an original Dynaco PAS preamp, which can be sensitive to a lower amplifier load that results from at least one of the "mods" I can think of...

Thanks.
    Peter

10. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Well I know you already bought a Jolida JD5T and are happy with it, but I'll add my two cents.
    I think a used Conrad Johnson PV10 is a good match. I picked mine up for $600 on the Bay, without phono.
    The PV10, especially the B version, punches way above its price. I'm currently comparing it to the more expensive Conrad Johnson 17LS, and I'm beginning to think it's a bargain.

11. slovell

I'm happy with the Jolida JD5T with the cloned Dynaco. I've got more gain than I'll ever need. I got a deal on the Jolida ($379 new in the box) that I just couldn't pass up. The sound is really tight but maybe a tiny bit tizzy in the top end but that could just be the reissue Genalex tubes I put in the Jolida breaking in. Overall a good match and a steal at the price. The only downside is the lack of tone controls but as of now that really hasn't presented much of a problem.
    Sam

12. slovell

I don't really know which version it is. I bought it on a whim off Fleabay a few years ago. I do know that it's completely scratch built on a generic chassis and the only Dynaco part used is the center transformer. The two outside transformers are Edcors and it has adjustable bias trim pots next to each power tube, it also has a VTA board. If I can figure out how to post photos here I'll put up some pix of it.
    Sam

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.