Predator (1987) coming in 4K

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

According to the Digital Bits website, the original Predator, starring Schwarzenegger, is going to be released as a 4K version in August or so, to correspond with the release of the new Predator movie: John McTiernan’s original Predator is coming to 4K UltraHD from Fox, likely in August

Since the previous blu-rays of Predator looked like piss and tasted like it as well, this is great news, if FOX will take the opportunity (surely they will) to release a decent blu-ray version.

This is something to get "pumped up about."

2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

It shows up as 4K on my 4K Apple TV. I purchased the movie from iTunes a while ago when it was 1080. Yea certain scenes leave much to be desired. I have not watched the "4k" version yet.

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I love this movie!!!!

I have it recorded off Cinemax! (Analogue cable) and its gorgeous :) (I had the official CBS/FOX tape but it l00ked like crap)

Vahan likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, the 4K version is already available via streaming on the Apple TV 4K. I have it, and it’s very nice!!

townsend likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I hope they get this right. This movie deserves a lot better than it has been treated on disc.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The old 1980s video release had grain the size of canned hams. I hope they can get that under control.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Still a lot of grain in certain scenes.

8. The Hud

Do you think Predator can look good, or are we stuck with what we have got in the past?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nowadays, we have access to a lot of processing power we didn't have 25-30 years ago. I'm of the opinion that a little grain reduction can do amazing things without damaging the source. Basically, you don't "turn it up to 11" -- you turn it up to 4 or 5 and let some of the grain get through, but remove the worst of it. When this is done as a non-real-time process, you can fix ultra-grainy films like Predator and make it look sharp and clear and enjoyable, with just enough grain to remind you it was shot on film, but not so much grain that it's annoying. It takes good judgement and experience to know how hard (or how light) to process it.

We can fix that in post. The key to me is to adjust the grain reduction scene-by-scene and even shot-by-shot if necessary. A lot of the movie may not need any grain reduction at all, but some of the dark scenes will need some help. It can be done... all Fox needs to do is just spend the money.

townsend and The Hud like this.
  10. The Hud

If they do spend the money, I hope the BD included with the 4k BD will be the new version as well.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3D Version ?
    Is is not very good, but if you love this film you still gotta have it, completist thing. :D

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It already looks good :) The new 4K remaster (you can watch this right now on iTunes) is an improvement from all previous home video releases.

The Hud likes this.
  13. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

That reminds me of The Greatest Story Ever Told Blu-ray. How did that release get to look like that, being it was large format? I would say it has a clear snakeskin effect over the image.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Haven't seen it and don't know. It was shot in Ultra Panavision 70, which is anamorphic 65mm negative, and I would hope that they scanned the o-neg on a 65mm scanner for the home video. There aren't a lot of those around -- I think Fotokem might be the last place in LA that still has one. eFilm may have one as well. Is this problem on every shot or just some of them? I'm wondering if it's a filtration issue.

Blu-ray.com doesn't mention a "snakeskin" effect, but it does say this:

The worst thing about this transfer, aside from damage to the master itself, is abundant flicker, registration differences and a lot of artifacting, including low grade noise, shimmer, aliasing and moiré. Grain is largely intact but in some of the opticals becomes dangerously close to noise levels...

The Greatest Story Ever Told Blu-ray

All this stuff is fixable if they just want to spend the money. Density flicker is a really annoying problem with old film elements where all the color dyes are unstable.

DaveySR and budwhite like this.
  15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The scenes of the Predator jumping along the rocks still look bad IMO. Dutch falling over the 1st waterfall also not so good. Also a lot of grain in some early scenes where they are in shadows. Many of the scenes look great though. We’re differnt film stocks or cameras used throughout the movie?

16. The Hud

Predator - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Ultra HD Review | High Def Digest

Good news is that the 4K BD of Predator is getting good reviews--best the movie has ever looked on home video. Not perfect, but worth the upgrade for fans of the movie.

Bad news is that the regular BD is the same Ultimate Hunter BD that has been out forever. It would have been nice if they would have gone to the trouble to give us a new transfer here as well.

Also unfortunate that they didn't upgrade the audio to Atmos, but I guess this leaves the door open for another version down the line. I guess they think me owning this 3 times already isn't enough. Oh well...

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

The cheap ass failure to not also release an improved blu-ray is simply inexcusable to me. :doh:

The Hud likes this.
  18. The Hud

I would argue with you if I could.

19. The Hud

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I watched the 4K disc in 1080p, and it looks great.

It has been awhile since I've watched Predator on disc. I have watched it on TV several times, and they cut a lot of violence out of the TV version. The "R" rated cut is much better! Such a great movie!

20. alexpop

Blu Ray ?
    The 3D conversion picture wise is not that great, novelty at best.

21. alexpop

Don't know what this new The Predator(Predator IV)going to like, as is the original is still the best, a lean mean killing machine movie.

Pecking order..
    Predator
    Predator 2
    AVP

22. The Hud

Predators?

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Yeah liked that one( like them all lol) I'd place Predators after AVP ..with the cheapo budget AVP requiem ..last.

The Hud likes this.
  24. alexpop

What I've seen of the few trailers for Shane Black's :The Predator i think I'll place it below AVP Alien Vs Predator ( Paul WS Anderson )..if it's better than that..,the big WOW factor !!!!!!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is a grainy, grainy, grainy film. Good movie, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    JCRW and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.