Predator 3D ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Anybody seen it yet ?

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I got it on BD and watched it. It was good- the 3D effects are subtle. I hadn't seen it in years and didn't own it on BD and it was $10 at Best Buy, so it was worth it.

alexpop likes this.
  3. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

So why bother converting it to 3D if it is only subtle? It's like colorizing a movie but only using the color blue.

I have yet to see a post conversion 3D film that didn't look like crap. The process is no where near perfection.

4. alexpop

10 bucks is a bargain .. There are around 25 EUR ( 30 bucks)here.

5. alexpop

3D
    There's been mixed reviews from excellent to crap. :)

6. Raylinds

It definitely did not look like crap, it's just that nothing jumped off the screen at you. If someone owns the 2D Blu-Ray (assuming there is one), I don't see the need for the 3D.

7. alexpop

I'll be getting it anyway for the curiosity factor.

Larry Mc likes this.
  8. SonOfAlerik

I don't understand the idea in this age to film in 2D will all intention on turning it into 3D in post. No post conversion will ever look as good as true 3D.

I had heard that Fury Road was going to be filmed in 3D then Miller decided post was the way to go. Seriously? I think not. I will see the 2D version when it comes out.

9. Raylinds

I don't disagree, but in this case they weren't filming in 3D much, if at all when Predator was made, so I don't think the original intent was to release a 3D version 20 something years later.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Titanic" looked good, IMO. And "Gravity" was post-conversion...

Larry Mc and alexpop like this.
  11. SonOfAlerik

I agree with Predator 3D wasn't the "in" thing in '87. But if you are going to convert it why not go all the way and make it really 3D versus subtle changes? I just don't see the reason to bother.

12. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

The look of Predator has always been problematic because DP Donald McAlpine shot it so dark.

Some insight on the 2D version:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=3366900&postcount=683

"...Predator has a long back story related to the post-production of the film. The final editor was, in fact, not the credited editor. After some pretty rough and unimpressive cuts, an uncredited editor (who happened to later become a pretty decent director) was brought on to try and fix what wasn't working. In all this work, there were a lot of editorial tricks that were employed to finish that film. Shots were flopped, wide shots were zoomed to create mediums, medium shots were zoomed to create close ups. These tricks contribute to the look of Predator..."

I have not seen the 3D BD version, but the effect might be sublet because more film grain might be present if it wasn't.

Later, Chris

alexpop likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Jurassic Park was really cool in 3D. I think it just depends how much effort they put into making a 2D film into 3D.

Larry Mc and Derek Gee like this.
  14. alexpop

image.jpg

Larry Mc likes this.
  15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Jurassic Park 3D was amazing, as was the 3D conversion of "The Wizard of Oz". Best looking copy of Oz on video!

Derek

Larry Mc and The Hud like this.
  16. alexpop

View attachment 329385
    Guilty pleasure.
    The opening 3D Predator spaceship is kinda neat. I'm not parting with this blu ray in a hurry. Once you see the 3D version you won't want to watch the 2D again.If they every make another Predator film i think Jason Statham would be ideal to star in it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  17. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Pacific Rim was also a post conversion and it's awesome in 3D

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Yes! Seen Pacific Rim and it was a lot better than I initially thought. Been meaning to get the 3D version.

19. alexpop

3D Dark ?
    Yeah. It is on my Panny ST55.
    But, doesn't detract from the enjoyment level. Wouldn't mind a 2D/3D conversion on Predator 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.