Predicting the Movie Bombs of 2012

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And it's the Wachowskis plus another guy, so...

I'll wait until I see at least a trailer before making the call, but let's just say I don't think they're going to tag the movie with "From the Makers of Speed Racer and The Matrix Part 3!" :sigh:

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yes. to no.1
    Yes. to no.2
    Yes. to. no. 3
    Yes to no..4
    Yes. to no. 4
    Ice Age 4 will destroy batman:winkgrin::thumbsup:

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I understand having good and bad feelings about future movies, but I don't understand why a person would, wish, hope, or be happy if a movie flops. Kind of like hoping someone you don't even know gets sick and dies.

4. Mirrorblade.1

Those guys are hacks . Speed Racer destroyed already
    edge of cliff carrier

5. Mirrorblade.1

I think it's sheer disgust of over decade hollywood
    blockbusters force fed on us which usually worse the
    silk purse out of pigs ear.

a lot of anger of time and money wasted on something
    that suppose to be entertainment. Ends being some kind of new
    torture.

Sick and Die hmmmm..... lets see who on my list this week:laugh::eek::D:righton:

That black toad root better work this time.:D;)

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I've seen this trailer twice and can't believe how bad it looks.

7. Vidiot

I actually hope most movies are hits because it's good for the film industry, it's good for the studios, and it's good for regular people who want decent entertainment.

This is no different a game than saying, "hey, I hope such-and-such a team does well in the series." It's just handicapping the players.

I readily admit that there are movie ideas out there that get sold, and I'm perplexed that anybody wants to make them, let alone see them. Magic Mike would be on that list. I don't get it. But then, I'm also the guy who didn't get Rock of Ages (the third biggest bomb this year).

Yeah, is Great Gatsby weird or what? I mastered the Paramount version for home video years ago, and that wasn't exactly a fun movie experience. I'm skeptical that a high-tech look will work for a 1920s period piece -- but I applaud Baz Luhrman for taking a big risk, trying something different, and not going with the usual stereotype.

8. Mirrorblade.1

You got find these people who invest in these kind movies.
    I often wonder about who funded Dude Wheres My Car.
    then I get a headache.

Stop funding pieces of crap.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The only filmmaker I wish would fail consistently is Michael Bay. His films are an insult to the artform.

Unfortunately, it seems there are many brain dead ticket buyers out there that continue to support the utter garbage he ejaculates onto multiplex screens.

Fingers crossed that he has a monumental flop sometime soon.

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah stupid people enjoying things that you don't, how dare they!

11. I don't care for Michael Bay either but his films aren't the problem--there have always been big, dumb movies designed for mindless entertainment. They have their place now whether or not you enjoy them is one thing.

The problem I've had is the success of Bay's films have inspired other films of the same type, but, again, he's making the films he wants for an audience that enjoys them.

In the 1950's and 1960's he would have been making films like "It Came From Beneath the Sea". It's much the same audience except that audience has grown up.

12. Vidiot

Yeah, there is that problem. Once a type of film is a huge blockbuster hit, then there's the inevitable imitators that start coming out -- which are often not even as well done. Almost 15 years ago, a friend of mine referred to this as "the Armageddon-izing of Hollywood."

13. progrocker71

I have no problem with "big, dumb, fun movies", I have a problem that Michael Bay can't even get those right. Actually I should have called out Roland Emmerich as well because they are both equally clueless.

I'm all for escapist entertainment, but it's possible to make intelligent escapist entertainment. It's just not possible for these two hacks.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Did you guys know this already came out in early June? 'cause I sure as hell didn't. I enjoyed the first one and was actually looking forward to it. It was directed by John Gulager who won the last round of PROJECT GREENLIGHT and got to direct the little horror film FEAST, which I also enjoyed. The trailer I saw a while back and it looked funny. Then . . . . . nothing. Look at the stats from Internet Movie Database, what the hell happened?

Budget
    $20,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend
    $182,237 (USA) (3 June 2012) (86 Screens)
    PHP 3,424,936 (Philippines) (3 June 2012) (60 Screens)

Gross
    $370,904 (USA) (17 June 2012)
    $315,374 (USA) (10 June 2012)
    $182,237 (USA) (3 June 2012)
    PHP 3,424,936 (Philippines) (3 June 2012)

Weekend Gross
    $31,116 (USA) (17 June 2012) (11 Screens)
    $36,910 (USA) (10 June 2012) (78 Screens)
    $182,237 (USA) (3 June 2012) (86 Screens)
    PHP 3,424,936 (Philippines) (3 June 2012) (60 Screens)

If it had been on the same number of screens as the first, it may have done similar business as the first, but on 86 screens?

15. Vidiot

It is kind of stunning that the Piranha sequel only made about $400K in the U.S. And that's a real, real dumb film -- but at least it's intentionally dumb and makes no apologies for it.

I tell you, Independence Day is one of the most monumentally stupid, well-made films I've ever seen. There are so many steals, rip-offs, and pastiches from other movies... I don't know where to begin. And yet it has some very good moments, plus it was a huge success -- and generally entertaining, once you get past the really stupid logic problems that make no sense.

16. progrocker71

Yikes, I think Independence Day is PAINFULLY BAD, aside from a few impressive special effects sequences it has no redeeming qualities at all. Horrid script (painful *****ing dialogue), performances, direction...just landmark lazy, moronic filmmaking.

17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

There is actually a very small target audience for this film, and I'm squarely in it. I love Baz, respect Leo and I hated The Great Gatsby when I read it, so I have absolutely no loyalty to any "original vision". I'm ready to rock.

But - I'll never see it in 3D and probably won't see it in the theater in 2D either, so take the nickel or whatever you're gonna get from Netflix, guys, and welcome to the 21st Century.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

My sentiments exactly. Even if a movie is "big & dumb", you should still be able to enjoy yourself while watching it, and be entertained.

My other problem with Michael Bay is that he's making a career out of raping my most precious childhood memories. First he gives us the god-awful dung heap that was Transformers, and now he's planning his Ninja Turtles reboot/remake... what's he going to do for an encore? Build a time machine and go back to the early 90's to sabotage my first kiss? :rolleyes:

19. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Active Member

I like a dumb action movie as much as the next man, but this new Spiderman reboot looked awful in the trailer I saw the other week, looked like an MTV video and is probably too soon for a reboot ?

20. Vidiot

Doing huge business in Asia right now, and I think it'll be very successful this coming weekend. Reviews are between positive and a little mixed, but good overall.

I like the look, but I think the trailer comes across as a little bit frenetic.

21. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Active Member

I cannot help but think that a decent gap and a proper" re imagining" , like they did with ROTPA , would give more scope for sequels / ££££/$$$ ?

22. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

No love for a good bomb flick?

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It barely got a release! Look at those stats listed: it only ran on 86 screens in the US! Not sure why they put it out there in such a limited fashion...

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Not a prediction since it's been out for a week or two, but "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" (starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightly) appears to have sunk.

alexpop likes this.
  25. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I added the bold for emphasis:

Guess these two predictions of yours are off the mark, since these two films opened this weekend to better-than-expected box office returns. Ted brought in about $54 million, over double what many had projected; and Magic Mike brought in around $39 million, also better than expected though not by the margin Ted saw.

I'd say with those opening weekend numbers, neither film is a bomb. In contrast, Rock of Ages opened with a box office around $15 million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.