Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Collector Man, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Put it on a double bill with Annie. :eek:

2. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I suspect if it gets good word of mouth and reviews, it will do just fine.

I could be really wrong...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The "Sweeney Todd" movie was reasonably successful, so "Into the Woods" could potentially do about the same. I think it might have broader appeal too, with the fairy tale characters.

lbangs likes this.
  4. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I agree. Plus, this is obviously aimed even more at musical fans (a la Les Miserables) than Sweeney was.

Man, I hope it is better than the Les Miz film...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To my surprise, I actually kinda liked "Les Miz". I'm not a musicals guy but I thought that one was okay! :shrug:

http://www.dvdmg.com/lesmiserables.shtml

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I'm glad you enjoyed!

The pacing killed it for me, especially the cursory breeze though the beginning, but I'm still hopeful for Into the Woods.

Honestly, I've always been a huge Sondheim fan...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

7. Oatsdad

Did you see/enjoy the stage production of "Les Miz"? Wonder if that might make a difference since the movie was my first - and only - exposure to it...

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Oddly enough, I caught one after watching the film first. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the movie. I think several of the set pieces worked far better on a stage than they did on the screen, and the pacing didn't seem quite as rushed.

It was a college production; I've certainly never seen the play on Broadway...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

9. Oatsdad

Cool! Seeing the movie actually made me semi-interested in viewing the stage show, which is unusual for me. Like I said, I'm not a musicals guy. Actually, I saw a bunch when I was a kid because my mom loved them, but since 1978, I believe I've gone to 2: "Wicked" (took my then-girlfriend as a birthday present) and "Phantom" (was in NYC for Thanksgiving, tickets were $25 and figured "why not?").

If I'm ever in NYC with time on my hands and tickets are cheap, I might give "Les Miz" a look...

lbangs likes this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The problem this is no longer the age of the musical movie anymore
    you can't recapture what one was. when musical's were big.
    Most these are forced. I don't care for Wicked i'm not sure
    if Frank Baum if he was alive today? would he liked his works turned the musical
    like wicked.?

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Annie, asking for a early Golden Raspberry Award.

12. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Some of them do well at the box office, even if the genre isn't as popular as it once was.

We'll find out about Into the Woods soon enough, but I suspect a profit will be made.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I love classic Hollywood musicals from the 30s to the 50s but don't have much interest in the genre after that. However, I like both Anna Kendrick and Emily Blunt so I'm sure I'll give Into The Woods a chance...but probably later on home video, I don't see myself paying theater prices to see it.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I am a fan for sure! she looks fab as a blond!

15. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I'm predicting Mortdecai will bomb. It's January placement pretty much already seals that deal.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Then it belongs on next year's thread...

17. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Oops! You are correct. Time flies...

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Saw Les Miz on Broadway- much better than the movie. I saw Into the Woods with Vanessa Williams on Broadway, and it was fantastic. I never knew she had such a good voice. I'm hoping the movie of ITW does well as it's a good story with great music.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm surprised the Annie billboards around LA haven't been plastered with "now available for download" signs. :shake:

ZAck Scott and Captain Groovy like this.
  21. Oatsdad

The big question about "Annie": can it be worse than the 1982 film? Possible, yes, but man, that's a tall order! :D

22. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I don't normally go to Walmart, but they are having a promotion of several $6 blu-rays that include on them a coupon for a "free" ticket to Exodus. It's a good deal, but perhaps indicates that Fox is worried about the film to be giving away tix like this? Anyway, some of the blu-rays are good stocking stuffers, like the DC of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, which is one of his best imho. I snagged two free tix myself for myself and my wife, and am planning to see Exodus this weekend....

http://www.exodusgodsandkings.com/#home

Ridley Scott has said that the early cut of Exodus was c. 4 hours long, but "worked" !! The theatrical version is c. 2.5 hours.

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I shouldn't laugh, but a close friend was the music supervisor on it (of course Jay-Z and the gang did their thing, but she was on the Director's side of supervising).

Charles Strouse should be sh*tting in his grave, even if he isn't there yet...

FYI, I have not seen the film, nor have I heard any of the new music. I hope for the Director's sake, this film has charm. And does well. I, I.. well, it's not my kind of movie.

I doubt they have dedicated the remake (of a remake of sorts) to the late, great Geoffrey Holder...

Jeff

24. Oatsdad

I wouldn't view this as a negative indicator of the movie's quality - there've been plenty of these "free ticket" tie-ins over the years. It's business and has nothing to do with the quality of the movie itself! :)

benjaminhuf likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Why in the world would they dedicate the movie to Geoffrey Holder? Just because he was an actor in the 1982 version? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.