Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Those are not my thing, but the trades are very excited about the per-theater-grosses of a new indie film called Heaven is for Real:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...review-20140416,0,1805763.story#axzz2zUdm5AZX

I was skeptical about it, but I have to admit, I found the trailer very emotional moving. But... not really my thing. Note that Noah wound up with $290M worldwide (on a budget of $125M), so I think it's done OK but not as much as they'd hoped for. I think the studio execs were praying for Passion of the Christ money ($611M), and it doesn't look like it's gonna get halfway there.

2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Transcendence

Domestic Total as of Apr. 20, 2014: $11,150,000 (Estimate)
    Distributor: Warner Bros.Release Date: April 18, 2014
    Genre: Sci-FiRuntime: 2 hrs. 0 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13Production Budget: $100 million

Oh boy....

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

alexpop and mikeyt like this.
  5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Well, I was going to go see Transcendence at the IMAX on Cannery Row but I don't know now. Hopefully some folks here will go see it and share their experience.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Critics really hated it...

Usually like Depp but he's been on a cold streak lately...

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think "Neighbors" could be amusing. I actually had passes to a preview the other night but skipped it - I'm lazy in my old age! :D

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I don't know that they hated it...the Tomatometer reading is kind of anomalous. It is not like the movie got universally terrible reviews, it is more that the movie got universally mediocre (2-star) reviews. Relatively few critics are saying it's worthless; rather, they're almost all saying that it's interesting to look at and think about but doesn't work as a human story.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

PH416156 and Larry Mc like this.
  10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Nice word, I don't see it much..:)

Maggie likes this.
  11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He may be loosing some of his fan base by playing this "Keith Richards" persona in his daily life. My wife doesn't like him as much because of that.
    He's over 50 years old and very rich so wearing that hat and dressing like he does my alienate his older women fans and look phoney to younger
    folks, who knows?
    I'm not saying that I feel that way, I'm just thinking out loud for the sake of conversation. I still like him as much as I always did.
    (Ed Wood, Nick of Time, Finding Neverland, From Hell, and Donnie Brasco are movies he made that I really like)

alexpop likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think Depp's suffering from over-exposure. It wouldn't hurt him to take a few years off. I doubt he's hurting for money.

13. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

As much as people love him, I don't think Johnny Depp has ever been much of an audience draw.

Captain Jack Sparrow
    ? Certainly, but Depp? Not much.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

mikeyt likes this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Depp does the bandana/horse's hat bit to hide the plugs he gets every couple of years.

:shh:

Larry Mc likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My mother loves him and sees everything he's in.

Larry Mc likes this.
  16. Depp is possibly the most reliable box office draw at the current moment, especially in the right vehicle. A whole generation of women think he's the best thing since sliced butter.

17. Vidiot

Four bombs in a row tells me Depp's reliability may not exist anymore.

Cousin It and lbangs like this.
  18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Or it may indicate that the "star" of a film isn't nearly as important these days as the film itself, the story and whether or not the trailers make people want to go out and see it. I think the success of all the superhero films helps prove this, since none of those films really have any huge "stars" in them, the characters they are playing and the Marvel name are the star in those films.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Too many Tim Burton years.

20. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Nowadays especially, there's a huge difference between being a sex symbol and being a box office draw.

I mean, The Tourist covered both genders, but...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

21. Vidiot

That's a sobering problem. Though I gotta say, Robert Downey Jr. really is the star of Iron Man, and I think if you slapped any old guy in there, it wouldn't be nearly as successful. Not so sure about Captain America or Thor, and the audience clearly doesn't care about Hulk (though I gotta say, Mark Ruffalo was the best yet in Avengers).

mikeyt likes this.
  22. progrocker71

Yes, but we have discussed this before. Robert Downey Jr.'s career was in the toilet before the first Iron Man film came out. NOBODY went and saw Iron Man for Robert Downey Jr., they went and saw it for the Iron Man character and the Marvel universe. When the movie was a big hit it resurrected his career and made him a marketable star again. But the important thing is that the first Iron Man could have been released with all no-name actors and I bet it would have been just as big of a hit.

Jennifer Lawrence was not a huge star prior to The Hunger Games, people did not go see the film to see "Jennifer Lawrence", they went to see the novel they love on the big screen. AFTER the film was released Jennifer Lawrence was a huge star.

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Lawrence was nominated for an Oscar as Lead Actress for "Winter's Bone", released well before "The Hunger Games". Her star was on the rise well before "The Hunger Games" even started shooting. I agree that most folks went to see "The Hunger Games" because they liked the book, but that film alone did not make her a huge star.

24. progrocker71

I know she was nominated for an Oscar, however the general public really had no idea who she was (Winter's Bone only played in 141 theaters upon release and made $6 million at the box office), so she was more well known by critics and film buffs than anyone else. She was also in X-Men First Class prior to The Hunger Games, but again nobody went to see that movie "just for her".

Prior to The Hunger Games she was a critics darling, after it was released she was also a bona fide international star.

mikeyt likes this.
  25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm not sure I agree with this part. The movie was so fun that I agree it would've still been a hit, but I think what really puts Iron Man over the top is the magic that Downey brings to it and that's what had people returning to the movie and talking about it. I think Iron Man and Downey Jr. have something of a symbiotic relationship.

Dudley Morris and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.