Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

At least it looks interesting...and it's not a sequel, remake or reboot...so that is almost cause for celebration. Of course if it tanks, then it will make non-sequels/remakes/reboots even harder to get green-lit.

Vidiot, Deuce66 and mikeyt like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Brad Bird can do no wrong in my book. Every movie the guy's ever done has been decent if not extremely good. At least as Progrocker above says, this is something new and different compared to the usual comic book movies, sequels, teen romances, and car chase films out there.

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Interesting. What is the target audience?

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I like his stuff, too, but didn't we just see this "you don't know who you really are" premise from the Wachowskis, and the "only you can save us" plot driver is as old as the hills. Still, as they say it's all in the telling.

John K.

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

This looks like an interesting film. The target audience? Preteens and teens and tech friendly people. That's why it's a young teen looking girl instead of a twenty something male. George Clooney instead of anyone else to bring in the moms and dads. It looks like an optimistic geek driven adventure film. I'm going to be disappointed if it is some dystopian futuristic Terminator 3 film. :)

Vidiot and robertawillisjr like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Can't we force the Coen brothers to deliver a movie every six months? I need something to look forward to . . .

7. progrocker71

Of course actress Britt Robertson is really a twenty-something, 25 to be exact.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

How about this one?

9. progrocker71

Adam Sandler = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

robertawillisjr and Quark1134 like this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If one could force the Coens to do anything there would have already been several sequels to the Big Lebowski. Since apparently there's a Little Lebowski running around, probably desperate to escape the Boarding school Maude stuck him in, it's time for the Due to set aside the White Russians and conspire with Walter to liberate him....

11. sega3dmm

sega3dmm New Member

You might be surprised how much money it might make in surpassing your expectations, because Paul Blart has developed a small, but vocal cult following on the internet.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I liked the first film, thought it was a fun takeoff of Die Hard.

13. progrocker71

Kingsman: The Secret Service has now crossed $300 million worldwide.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Ehhhhhhh.... :sigh:

robertawillisjr likes this.
  15. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Avengers Ultron is screening tonight in LA for a bunch of people. Disney is allowing tweeted reactions but no real reviews till about the 19th. I'm sure it's going to be mega.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Very glad -- I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Totally over-the-top, nutty film.

They're now predicting that The Avengers: The Age of Ultron is going to hit $200M for its opening weekend in a few weeks. I'm betting right now this will be the movie to beat for 2015 and will handily hit $1B by the end of the year.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/avengers-age-of-ultron-tracking-for-200-million-bow-1201406880/

17. progrocker71

Kingsman is now at $380 million.

I think it's going to be a pretty big year overall.

18. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

The church scene was totally totally over-the-top.

jerol

19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

lol, "this new superhero cluster flick" ...

No question Avengers 2 gets to (or near) $200 million for its opening weekend. There has been nothing with that kind of appeal in the theatres in months. The question is, what kind of legs has it got? I think it's safe to say anything south of $500 million domestic is going to be considered a disappointment, but it's hard to capture lightning in a bottle twice, and nothing has gotten anywhere near that in two years. Actually, the last $500 million film was the first Avengers, wasn't it?

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

What are the expectations for Ex Machina?

21. progrocker71

It's an independent British film opening in limited release, so they'll use the per-screen-average to help determine whether to expand it wider or not.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that's right, there's only 4 in the modern era that cracked $500 million in domestic gross $ (Avatar/Titanic/Avengers and The Dark Knight).

23. Vidiot

The first Avengers defied expectations and made $1.518 billion after all the dust was settled; Iron Man 3 made $1.2 billion; Captain America: The Winter Soldier made $718 million; Thor: The Dark World made $644M. It's fair to say since this movie has all those characters in it again, there's a good chance it'll do at least $700M. But if the estimates are that it'll make $200M domestic the first week (the third-biggest opening in history), then my guess is it'll ultimately get a lot closer to $1B.

24. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

The word is from the screening Avengers 2 is awesome ( but we knew that). I'm going with 215 million opening.

I still think Star Wars 7 will out gross it after both runs

The Ex Machina movie is supposed to be excellent. This year's Snowpiercer.

bru87tr likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My expectations are very high (which has nothing at all to do with box office takings).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.