Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You're not alone! I enjoyed the first Thor, Iron Man, Capt. America movies (haven't watched the sequels yet) and appreciate the mythology of super hero movies. I collected comics back in the day and loved the Avengers, et al. But, dang, that first Avengers movie was pretty darn boring to me as well. I wanted to like it but it was just so predictable and flat to me. Not going to see this one in the theaters. Will likely rent it or catch it on DVD.

2. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

so Get Hard has made 85 mil domestic and 100 mil worldwide. is that break even? or a bust?

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Get to see Winter Soldier soon. It's better than the first Capt. A.

John K.

Simon A and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. Bobby Buckshot

Thank you. It's on my list as well as the Thor follow up, although I've heard that one doesn't hold up as well as the first. Still have to see it b/c I like the first Thor so much. I thought they did a really good job with that one.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

So interesting. My feeling is that there is far better entertainment on television this days than the rehashing of old franchises, over & over & over again. It all can't be about uber-visuals & sound, is it?

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I know many people, ages ranging from the teens to the 60s, excited about Mad Max. I may well know a non-representative group of folks, though, and of course, the older people are likely to wait for a video release. That trailer threw my disinterest out the window. It looks great, with an edgy, nervous energy in the editing. We'll see.

I am also a Bird fan, but every trailer for Tomorrowland I see is worse than the previous one. I think at least in terms of quality, this one might break his streak. Maybe great Pixar directors shouldn't tackle first installment of Disney flagpoles...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

mikeyt likes this.
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I agree with you about the trailers. Those charged with promoting this movie can't seem to make up their mind what it's about. That said, there was one trailer a week or so back that seemed a lot more coherent and did finally make me want to see the movie for a reason other than Bird directed it. I suspect it will be a minor hit once it's better known.

John k.

8. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

agree with ya...regarding both movies. and Clooney bores me.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

You would think we would eventually hit a breaking point: one too many superhero/tentpole movies. I don't think this year will see that happen, but I do believe it's inevitable.

They went very, very, very orange & teal on the look. Just sayin'.

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hey, I believe the whole film takes place in the desert, so for once the orange looks appropriate :D

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'll happily watch San Andreas on home video no matter how bad it is, I like watching stuff getting destroyed. Won't get me to the theater, but they don't need me anyway.

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

San Andreas....filmed almost entirely in Australia. :biglaugh:

Bryan likes this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

From the trailer I thought it was almost entirely "filmed" in cyberspace.

Dudley Morris and Bryan like this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Reminds me of the Simpson's episode with "When Buildings Collapse"

15. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Mad Max: Fury Road is currently sitting at 99% at Rotten Tomatoes.

I've no idea if that will translate to ticket sales, but I've never seen a wide-release action film score like that.

Never.

If hoards can make the tears-in-your-goatee slop of Furious 7 a hit, surely this one can wrangle a few viewers...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Eh, it's OK spectacle I suppose, but these CGI-athons are all too easy and common these days. A hi-tech cartoon is less visceral than seeing something you know risked the life of a stuntman and got blowed up real good. :)

17. progrocker71

Avengers: Age of Ultron has officially passed the $1 Billion mark.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's pretty insane!

Others have been into the 90s, though. "Dark Knight" had 94% and "Avengers" was 92%.

It's not an "action film" per se, but "Toy Story 3" got 99%. "LOTR: Two Towers" earned 96%...

19. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is going to slay everything in its path. The release of the last trailer set off a giant nerdgasm. Grown men admitted to crying during it. Toy lightsabers are sold out everywhere already. It will be huge.

20. progrocker71

Kind of an interesting neck & neck battle at the box office this weekend. You have the testosterone fueled Max Max: Fury Road, up against female-centric Pitch Perfect 2. PP2 was the winner on Thursday night bringing in $4.6 million compared to Mad Max: Fury Road which earned $3.7 million. Both films are predicted to make about $50 million this weekend.

With a budget price tag of $29 million, Pitch Perfect 2 has a much shorter road to profitability.

21. progrocker71

So according to Box Office Mojo, Pitch Perfect 2 is racing ahead of Mad Max at the box office.

Mad Max pulled in roughly $17 million on Friday compared to $28 million for Pitch Perfect 2. They are estimating PP2 coming in around $64 million for the weekend, MM should end up around $41 million. PP2 is also performing well in overseas markets coming in #1 in Germany and Australia and still has 30 additional markets that haven't debuted yet.

If you want a good laugh this morning check out the Facebook comments to any article about the weekend box office, you wouldn't believe how many "manly tears" are being shed by geeks bemoaning the fact that mighty, manly Mad Max is being bested by a "chick flick" made for a fraction of the budget.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even if it doesn't do great in the US, methinks the "Mad Max" movie will compensate worldwide - it's the kind of movie that plays much better overseas than something like "Pitch Perfect".

I have no dog in this hunt, as I never liked the "MM" movies all that much...

23. progrocker71

I will eventually see both films, I just think it's interesting watching a "dude pic" and a "chick flick" go head to head at the box office. I think the overseas numbers for PP2 are going to surprise people as well.

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

PITCH PERFECT 2 zoomed to $64 million, more than $20 million ahead of FURY ROAD. Wow!

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Pitch Perfect 2 geared toward young girls with low esteem.
    Like High School Musical etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.