Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The dude flick also apparently has some sort of "feminist" subtext so I'm not sure it's a fair matchup.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Nice try on the cynical stereotyping, but I think you're underestimating the appeal here, the first film brought in a wide range of ages...and I also know quite a few guys that enjoyed it.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I just see sequel vs. sequel, myself. New stories, please :)

4. progrocker71

It would be great, but as long as these sequels and reboots keep raking in mass amounts of cash you're going to see more and more of them and the original stories will be in the arthouse cinemas.

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I was not really fussed about seeing Mad Max: Fury Road, but with all the good reviews it is getting I'm now keen to see it. And that seems to be an attitude on this board as well. A lack of buzz until the movie just opened can't be good for opening weekend box office.

--Geoff

6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Or not be seeing them, as it may be. The arthouse cinemas aren't exactly doing gangbusters either.

7. progrocker71

One of the many great things about living in Los Angeles is having lots of independent theaters to go to.

8. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

After watching the trailer this weekend, I thought it looked pretty good and was planning on seeing it. But then after the new Mad Max, the movie that followed the trailer, San Andrews all of a sudden it didn't seem so exciting anymore.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:rolleyes:

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Yeah, I'm still not really excited to see it, but the reviews have convinced me I should...

11. progrocker71

That's my reaction to 99.9% of his posts.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

You put but a person like Rebel Wilson, in it it looses any respectability it was suppose to have?
    Maybe you should watch Josie & The Pussie Cats and Bratz The Movie.
    Back to back . Then you tell me about quality. which nethier of these movies have.
    Wide range ages .... This how the world ends not with whimper but,
    A screeching sound from Rebel Wilson.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I fall in the spectrum of wide age range. :) I liked the first movie, despite not being a fan of Wilson.

14. progrocker71

You're so cynical and negative all the time that frankly, you're not worth my effort.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I do think it requires some degree of empathy--or at least a tolerance for the fact that people are different--to understand how Rebel Wilson can have appeal to a broad range of people.

John K.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

17. Mirrorblade.1

Even is someone disagrees with you it's not there fault they are wrong.
    When a truth, shines brighter than ego.

18. Oatsdad

What the who now?

Vidiot likes this.
  19. progrocker71

Weekend actuals:

1. Pitch Perfect 2: $69,216,890
    2. Mad Max: Fury Road: $45,428,128
    3. Avengers: Age of Ultron: $38,859,900

20. progrocker71

Pitch Perfect 2 has reached $187 million worldwide so far which is over 6x the production cost.

Mad Max: Fury Road is at $200 million worldwide, still has a ways to go before it reaches profitability.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Very true. Mad Max reportedly cost $219 million, so on the low side it'll have to make close to $500M just to break even. My guess is that it'll get there, but only just barely.

22. progrocker71

The new Cameron Crowe film "Aloha" is getting trounced by critics. It is currently sitting at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Variety: "Unbalanced, unwieldy, and at times nearly unintelligible, “Aloha” is unquestionably Cameron Crowe’s worst film. Paced like a record on the wrong speed, or a Nancy Meyers movie recut by an over-caffeinated Jean-Luc Godard, the film bears all the telltale signs of a poorly executed salvage operation disfigured in the editing bay."

Hollywood Reporter: "As with another major miss by the writer-director, 2005’s Elizabethtown, the new film has the awkward feel of a repository for everything but the kitchen sink. The chemistry is mostly forced, the story without an emotional core. And though Crowe’s facility for language can be striking, here it never moves beyond self-consciousness. The cast will entice audiences, but Aloha looks destined for a relatively quick hello-and-goodbye in theaters."

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I'm sad about this because I know people who worked on the film who had hoped for good things. I also thought it might be refreshing to have an adult romantic comedy pop up in the middle of a summer filled with action flicks and comic-book sequels. And Cameron Crowe is a very bright man and a good writer. It definitely looks like a misfire.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

But, I know you have bought advance tickets to Gem & Holograms.:shh::eek::D

25. Mirrorblade.1

I think the adult comedy with taste... is going bye, bye....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.