Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Which truly is sad because it seems to have generated a lot of positive reactions among genre fans. It reminds me of Dredd a few years back, which fans absolutely loved, but it didn't make enough money to spawn a sequel.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of Transformers and Marvel movies in the pipeline because the only thing people seem to respond to in large numbers is a known character.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Something happened to him after Almost Famous. I think Vanilla Sky is a solid movie, but after that period everything he's done seems to have been a misfire. Elizabethtown is a film I revisit every once in a while thinking that I'll grow into it; it's just bad. We Bought a Zoo was holiday fluff, though I think was a modest commercial hit that likely allowed him to make Aloha. And now Aloha seems to be a big mess. It's been two decades since the pinnacle of Jerry MaGuire and Almost Famous. I'm not sure if he'll return to form.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mad Max isn't a "known character"? Dredd isn't a "known character"?

A Marvel movie with characters unknown to most folks was one of last year's three biggest hits...

4. Oatsdad

I just re-read my review of "Elizabethtown" - which I called "silly, stupid and almost unwatchable" - and stated I hoped it didn't show a filmmaker in decline. Maybe it did! :sigh:

Vidiot and mikeyt like this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Your prediction came true, I just can't get into Cameron Crowe I like Vanilla Sky.
    But, I can't see myself watching it again. I remember , We Bought a Zoo.
    I did enjoy it. If he want's make statement he should go independent.
    Do something original , it might make some buzz?

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The last Mad Max movie was 30 years ago and he hasn't been on the radar at all since then.

Judge Dredd is known to a handful of comic fans in the US that either follow the UK comic books or the few that are published here. I don't think anyone remembers the Stallone film fondly.

Marvel is a known name. The big heroes, such as Spider-Man, The Hulk, and Captain America are pretty well-known outside of comic fandom. There have been numerous animated TV shows since the 9os that have kept the attention of kids, and many adults grew up reading the comics far at least a short period. Guardians of the Galaxy was very much sold as a "Marvel" movie, so people had some idea of what they were in store for. It also had some excellent trailers that had a lot of humor and a cute talking raccoon with a gun.

I never saw the Fury Road trailer, but I'm sure there was no humor in it.

7. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i don't know how they will do financially but Jurassic World and San Andreas look like stinkers to me.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The family just left to see San Andreas today. I stayed home. Even though I like the Rock and most everything he is in, this movie didn't appeal to me. I was still on the fence about seeing it, though, as of this morning. But, after reading various reviews from various critics' and fans' websites, I decided to skip this one, for now. If the family comes home and says it was "Great" and that it would be something I'd like then I might go see it by myself at a later time.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

San Andreas is the type of movie that I'll eventually catch on Netflix for free when I'm really bored.

Coricama, Deuce66 and mikeyt like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

What will be a Success: Any simplistic over blown bull **** with loads of special effects.

Eric B. and Coricama like this.
  11. progrocker71

Explosions, actions scenes and special effects are easier to sell to China and Russia, simplistic plots and dialogue are easier to translate.

12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Just came home from seeing "San Andreas". The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for disaster films but I went in with low expectations.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It's interesting that, to some degree, it seems like "Jurassic World" is getting less attention and discussion for such a big-budget, "tentpole" sort of picture. I dig the original and tolerate its two sequels, so I'm predisposed to be interested enough to see the new film (and have no problem saying if it stinks).

Nothing from the trailers screams out "bomb!" nor that it will be a critical stinker. It looks like it could easily better at least the two sequels, although that admittedly wouldn't take much. The trailer is just about what one could possibly expect from another film in the series. Yes, you have to stipulate out the outset to the idea that people are idiots for trying to make another park in a movie universe where the events from the original film have already taken place.

But after decades now of horrible "dinosaur" themed movies (good grief, now "Carnosaur" seems like one of the highlights), it might be nice to see one where the budget will allow for something of some level of quality. Folks are still suggesting the director used a good amount of "practical" special effects and didn't go all-CGI. We shall see how accurate that is....

14. progrocker71

Pre-release tracking (and advanced ticket sales) for Jurassic World have been very positive, they are predicting an opening of around $100 million.

15. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I just come home too from seeing it..I don't regret seeing it, i have fun of course but the movie is pretty absurd, also the american flag at the end...pure nationalism...

7/ 10.

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm a sucker for disaster movies too, so San Andreas is a no brainer for me...I mean, it can't be any worse than Earthquake from 1974, can it? :laugh:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I was surprised: the trades predicted San Andreas was going to have a $40M weekend, and now they're saying $45 million. It's overperforming higher than expected. But the reviews also say it's a dumb, dumb movie.

I think the timing on the movie is excellent, and it'll make money just because nobody's seen a "giant dinosaur kills people" movie in some time. Even Jurassic Park 3 made $370M, and it only got so-so reviews. I suspect JP4 will make a lot more than that.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have read some reviews and... it looks like it's a great disaster movie, in the sense that the plot and the dialogue are disastrous but the visual effects are praised. So I may check it on the big screen, I'm usually in for visually impressive movies.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Michael likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Disagree. The Mad Max movies have gotten multiple reissues and remain cult faves.

Look at it this way: if "MM: FR" had been a movie with no connection to the MM universe and featured a new character, would it have gotten as much attention? I seriously doubt it - the Max name got it attention right off the bat it otherwise would've lacked...

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! like that matters to many including me! Nothing will curtail me from seeing a movie I'm interested in.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Ridley Scotts The Martian . It will bomb, I seen this type of movie at least four times.
    We do studios keep giving him money, when he's had more bombs the Spielberg?

24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The name garnered initial interest but the first teaser generated enormous buzz across the young, 30 and under, male demographic. Being part of the Mad Max franchise drew in certain fans and the slightly older audience who were familiar with it but I believe the campaign would've worked even if it was a new franchise. The movie's quality and word of mouth would've carried it either way, as it's doing now. It didn't open huge but I'm thinking that like Kingsmen it'll be go the distance.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The Kingsman: Secret Service did surprisingly well -- $400M+ worldwide. The difference is, that movie only cost $80M, and Mad Max: Fury Road cost $190M. Huge difference. The latter has made about $240M so far, but it's going to have to go north of $500M before it even starts to be profitable.

I said that about Star Trek: Nemesis, then watched it with a couple of friends the day it opened in a near-empty theater. Huge, huge bomb, horrible reviews, made no money, plus it was so bad, it basically killed the Star Trek franchise for quite a few years. So it is possible for a movie to be so stupid and so bad, you wind up hating it.

I take it you like every single dumb movie you go to see? I must be more discriminating, because I dislike a lot of them. I can do the "leave your brain at the door" approach to a point, but when the stupidity goes off the scale, it's hard to forgive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.