Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But also from that report:

The superhero feature maintained the #1 position and has now crossed $680 million worldwide (it topped the foreign box office for a second consecutive weekend, racking up $85.1 million).

From a worldwide perspective, the film has already surpassed the entire global returns from films such as Man of Steel ($668m), Thor: The Dark World ($644.6m), Iron Man 2 ($623.9m) and Iron Man ($585.2m) on the all-time list where it currently ranks #84.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

David Cannondale? The guy from Whitesnake??? :laugh:

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Never rode him.:eek:

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Now we're firmly in TMI territory!

5. shokhead

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very likely, it looks great. Can't wait to see the latest photorealistic character CGI and how convincing it is.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The reviews on Jungle Book have been extremely positive, and they're projecting it'll make as much as $75M this weekend, which is huge:

‘The Jungle Book’, ‘Barbershop: The Next Cut’ To Ignite Weekend Box Office – Preview »

I was surprised that it would be this good, given that a) this is a story everybody knows, b) it's already been filmed at least two or three times, and c) it's a massive VFX extravaganza where basically the kid is almost the only living creature in most of the movie. But the reviews have been about 80-90% positive, and the trailers have looked pretty good. The funniest thing so far about it is apparently there's a credit at the end of the film that says, "Filmed Entirely in Downtown Los Angeles," which they did, on a massive green screen stage.

I'm glad for Jon Favreau -- he's a good director who's had mixed success lately, and it's good for him to get a big hit film again.

9. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident

It turned out better than I expected too. Go to see it in 3D if you can ( it works).
    Watch out for my Bare Necessities sequence....

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

From what I understand, it's one of the rare 3D movies out these days that was actually shot in 3D, as opposed to "retrofitted" in post.

11. Vidiot

David, the entire movie is green screen, so it just doesn't matter. All the CGI VFX had to be dimensionalized, so it's a moot point.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Really, people are predicting Jungle Book is going to be a hit? Looks dreadful to me.

MikaelaArsenault and svoegtlin like this.
  13. shokhead

There are always outliers!

14. Vidiot

The reviews have been surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting it to be good, either, and the trailers look a little too "plasticky" and fake to me. But the success or failure of a movie like this is going to hinge on how good the story is, how believable the characters are, and how well the movie connects with the audience. If they did all that, it'll do well. I'm not anxious to see it in a theater, but there's clearly a market for it.

15. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Has anyone commented on the similarities in Disney's The Good Dinosaur, Pete's Dragon and The Jungle Book? A kid dressed sort of like Tarzan is taken care of by animals. I actually still do sorta want to see Dinosaur despite the reception it got, the others not so much.

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Is there Audience? for this the big question and like Pete's Dragon..
    I didn't ask for it I didn't for a Jungle book remake..
    Sad..

17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The biggest concern for Disney is how to handle talking animals. In cartoon features, talking animals work well most of the time, the exception being talking dinosaurs. What concerns me most about the new Jungle Book is that in spite of how good it looks, the talking animals might take the audience right out of the fantasy. What most emphasizes awkward or campy characterizations are certain accents of voice actors hired to portray specific animals. In any live action fantasy everything on film should contribute to the suspension of disbelief. Anything which interferes with that usually makes the feature less appealing for an adult audience.

:cheers:
    Cat

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Land Before Time was an excellent portrayal of talking dinosaurs.

19. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

That was Universal, not Disney. Disney's track record with talking Dinosaurs is a little more fossilized. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Surprised Deadpool wasn't on the list. Best super hero movie I've seen.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Problem with this one is we already know the story. It looks like pretty much a straight re-make of the animated adaptation.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am no marketing wizard, but it seems possible that you could be outside the large and lucrative demographic they are targeting.

23. Vidiot

Well, I doubted Titanic right before it was released, because I said, "hey, there's no way this can be any good -- we already know the story, and everybody dies at the end!" Shows what I know.

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I want a My Little Pony live action movie dam it.:laugh:
    Vidiot is brony.. brony .com..:D

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Well it looks like it's going to be close to $90 million for the opening weekend, 95% critics/91% fan approval on Rotten Tomatoes, A+ Cinemascore rating, it's a hit financially and critically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.