Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Vampires & Zombies.

2. I still expect Ghostbusters to make a ton of money.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't - bombs away on that one.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yep unless there is zero else out in the movies and I mean zero.

Deuce66 and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Given the amount of, "I hear it's bad but I'll still see it any ways" out there I find it hard to believe any major big budget film with this much press behind it can bomb anymore. Except if the definition of "bombing" these days means missing the 1billion mark. 21st century "bombing" is pulling in bank while getting a low RT score or a ton of snarky YT reviews.

Thwacko and Stormrider77 like this.
  6. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Sony is going to make that damn thing as ubiquitous as they can. It will have to earn a LOT to make a profit.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Well there's also a brigade of internet celebrities promoting the film and guilt tripping people into seeing it, lest they be sexist. Neverminding that Ghostbusters 2 is universally derided. Sony's campaign is a sneaky one but I think it'll be effective. I'm almost certain there'll be a sequel. On the other hand there are a few internet celebrities balking against the film too , like the one above and:

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I don't see a movie based on "I hear it's bad but I'll still see it anyways." I usually do the opposite. I look forward to seeing a movie but when the reviews come in and an overwhelming majority are bad, I won't go see it. Most recently it happened with Batman vs. Superman. I planned on seeing it with my family on opening day but when the reviews came in (and after reading all the comments here and other places,) I decided not to go. My family went and saw it on opening day and when they came back from it, they all said they liked it. At first, they didn't change my mind. It took over a month after it was released before they convinced me to go see it. One day when I had some free time and the family was off doing something else, I decided to catch a cheap matinee. I did enjoy some of the movie, but no question it is a flawed film with all the obvious flaws pointed out already in the Batman vs. Superman thread. That being said, I did seem to enjoy it more than the reviewers and most of the people who made comments about it here and elsewhere. For me, it was worth the price of a matinee.

9. The male Ghostbusters reboot is apparently on hold. I guess they're waiting to see what happens with this one.

Is this one getting an Asian release first? That's the new model to stave off criticism and box office disappointment.

10. At about 3:05 is the general mentality I see from the masses these days (most recently about X-men: Apocalypse)

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

There's a lot that comes out where I say, "naaaa, not gonna waste my time with a theatrical screening. Home video... maybe." At least there, I'm not a captive audience and I can fast forward through the slow parts.

Ghostbusters and X-Men are very iffy with me for the moment. The reviews on the latter are not very good.

I've seen the trailers for this $180M Warcraft movie, and that looks like the biggest steaming goat turd I've seen in a long time (if I can believe the trailers)...

It's just ultra-CG, totally fake, weird looking all the way through. I'd be very surprised if there's a real story and characters anywhere in the entire film.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah , I'm not pleased about it it looks cheap..
    It will Bomb....

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm seeing "Ghostbusters" and "X-Men" no matter what, but I'd need some prompting to see "Warcraft" - the trailers really do make it look awful!

14. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I honestly hope Warcraft doesn't bomb because it would make a already bad year worse for Duncan Jones. At least he has new kid on the way to be happy about though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Vidiot

The triple-bill of the three may be at the Hell Multiplex... :sigh:

Hutch likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Pessimistic, are we?

Of those 3, I think only "Warcraft" will probably be a bad movie. I think "Ghostbusters" and "X-Men: Apocalypse" will be okay...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Just saw Ghostbusters trailer. Horrible.

18. shokhead

Not sure why the "X-Men: Apocalypse" will suck? I'm looking forward to it.

19. Vidiot

Have you read the advance reviews of X-Men? Yikes...

I always hope all these movies will be OK, but Warcraft just leaves me cold. It looks like a plastic video game mess to me. I really liked the first Ghostbusters, but the advance buzz is that they showed about 15-20 minutes of the film at CinemaCon a month ago and the theater owners' reaction was mixed at best.

If I had to pick just one of these as the overall winner in terms of making money, I dunno. The tough thing for the studios will be if these films "only" make $400M-$500M, which is not what they're looking for.

Hutch likes this.
  20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I went and saw Civil War a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed it, but I've also made the decision that I'm done with comic book movies for the foreseeable future. I'm just...burnt....out....

There are some smaller indie films coming up that I'm looking forward to, but I can't say any of the tentpoles aside from Star Trek: Beyond are interesting me at the moment.

Ghostbusters I might go see, I like Feig and I kind of want to see the movie just to piss off all the people that are refusing to see it because it's filled with females. :laugh:

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Nope. I know it's gotten bad notices, but I've not read them - I'll see the movie anyway, so why read reviews in advance?

Reviews influence me if I'm on the fence, but for movies I want to see no matter what, they're not a factor.

I'm not a big fan of the franchise, so my "X"-pectations were tempered anyway...

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll judge for myself! the only way to fly...

23. Vidiot

24. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Only good news for Depp was his ex writing a letter defending him.

25. shokhead

We should see him soon in a TV series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.