Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't see that - at least not a "standard TV series".

Sure, Depp is on a bad streak, but I think he'd be loathe to return to "regular TV" because it would feel like failure given his roots.

I gotta imagine actors who started as TV stars before they became movie stars are more reluctant to go back to TV - I think it's still viewed as a step backward.

Now he could do some short cable series - those are "allowed" for movie stars - but I don't think he'll be doing a weekly 20-episode series...

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'm talking about something like a game of thrones or the house of cards , not a persons of interest or ncis.

3. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Is there anyone who REALLY doesn't want to see the new Ghostbusters movie because it has a female cast, rather than because it looks like a pile of ****?

4. shokhead

Me! and looks like a pile of ****?

5. This is a genuine question: if you're not a big fan of the franchise (and it's got the worst reviews of the new X-men to boot), why is this movie on your "must see no matter what" list?

6. Meanwhile check out the new Final Fantasy movie. They've really set the bar. The Uncanny Valley is almost gone:

EDIT: It may suck. I dunno. I'm not interested in seeing it, but the CG is pretty good.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Vidiot likes this.
  7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I saw lots of footage from the new Pirates movie a few weeks ago at a Disney event and it looks like it'll be a smash (coming from someone who's not that big of a pirates fan).

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, I may be 2 for 2......the Melissa McCarthy movie tanked, and I'm seeing on the net that the second Alice movie had a disappointing opening weekend.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Plastic soul, man... plastic soul. :mad:

I would say the The Boss grossly underperformed, but it didn't bomb -- they made $75M and the film cost $29M. But that's way down from Spy ($235M) and also down from Tammy ($100M). If Ghostbusters tanks, she'll definitely be in trouble.

Drifter and Hutch like this.
  10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Why Does Hollywood Keep Disrespecting Melissa McCarthy? »

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have been saying this for awhile.......

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Well, my wife's a Johnny and Alice fan and told me weeks ago she wanted to see it. We had plans all weekend, so we figured we'd let the big opening weekend crowds go by and see it last night. I didn't want to get shut out and disappoint her so I bought tickets online, at the closest theater with 3D because I haven't seen a 3D movie since Andy Warhol's Frankenstein. In a large metro area with a potential audience of millions we were the only people in the theater until 3 minutes into the previews when one other couple snuck in - maybe crossing over from another screen. The movie stank, the 3D looked like View-Master, Depp phoned it in and you could hardly understand a word he mumbled. My wife apologized to me on the way out for insisting we waste the money.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Maybe it's been said, but it seems to me that Melissa McCarthy is the female Adam Sandler. Sure, her movies might be profitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. Nothing against her, but my wife rented "Tammy" and it was reaaaalllly bad.

sunspot42, Dudley Morris and dewey02 like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe so (I don't agree, though yes those movies she's made with her husband have stunk) but the author's point is you never see "is he in trouble" stories about Sandler or Will Ferrell or Seth Rogen, yet they have films that have bombed way harder than any of Melissa's.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Any thoughts on X-men yet?

16. Oatsdad

Because I like the genre and I like the "X-Men" films enough. "Not a big fan of the franchise" doesn't mean I don't like the films - it just means I'm not "stoked" for "Apocalypse".

I admit it: I like big summer movies! :)

Hutch likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

"Tammy" was terrible. So was "Identity Thief".

But McCarthy has some good movies, too!

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

19. Spaghettiows

Yes, "Bridesmaids" was pretty good.

20. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Spy makes me laugh.

jerol

21. Vidiot

It's just a question of time before we get the inevitable Adam Sandler / Melissa McCarthy team up. Add in Jerry Lewis as the crazy great-grandfather, and you have the Trifecta.

sunspot42, Dudley Morris and geo50000 like this.
  22. Spaghettiows

Of course. Sandler and McCarthy are the brother and sister that never got along, but are recently divorced and now forced to live together with Grandpa Lewis for some convoluted reason. They drive each other crazy but discover the magic of family harmony after Grandpa dies and they both find new loves. Sadly, Robert DeNiro will also accept a paycheck as a long-suffering uncle, a tough guy with a heart of gold.

23. shokhead

I'd have to be Tommy to see a Sandler and/or McCarthy movie.

24. Vidiot

And they'll pay the three of them $20 million each to make the movie for Amazon! Perfect. :eek:

Spaghettiows and sunspot42 like this.
  25. It was OK, but it's also way overrated IMHO. It's essentially just a typical chick flick with added scat humour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.