Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have to admit I haven't seen it, but it just strikes me as a Django rewrite in Revenant drag. Given the choice between epic period pieces set in snowy forests, methinks I'll turn my back on the aging hipster and see how former babyface DiCaprio handles himself.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

The distributors granted exclusive screening rights in London's West End area, which is the main area for entertainment in London, to the flagship Odeon cinema and denied the other chains from screening the film in the immediate area. This led to Cineworld and Curzon refusing to screen the film in any of their cinemas nationwide.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Dirty Grandpa -- shameful depiction of elderly . . . utter gutter trash -- sorry, only one hand for typing for awhile . . . left arm in long arm splint {s/p ulnar nerve transposition}

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't get why De Niro is doing such crap and why he is so stuck on comedy.

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I've been saying it for years. There's no originality in the movies anymore. It's all remakes, sequels, prequels, etc. I haven't been to the movies in 5 years.

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

"Movies suck these days. I should know, I haven't seen any."

Mutatis mutandis, the SH.TV creed.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

So quick to make assumptions.
    Who said I haven't seen them? I just don't pay to go see them in the theaters.

8. shokhead

Then you will hate Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy' Gets New Release Date

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Critic here raving about 45 Years, which just hit town.
    It's odd to see Rampling playing a senior citizen, she was such an excellent femme fatale in Farewell My Lovely all those years ago.

10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I kind of like the idea of a return of Universal's classic monsters. However, I see no way in which this idea will work.

11. I think he's essentially retired and just takes easy roles that could be considered as working vacations. Like with Dirty Grandpa he gets paid to goof off and hang around the beach with a lot of hot young women; what guy in his dotage wouldn't think that a good deal? Sure it does his legacy no favours, but he knows he's done enough iconic work to not worry about that stuff.

MikaelaArsenault and heatherly like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

DeNiro is still married to the same wife he had 20 years ago and had another child with her 2011. I don't think he's anxious for another divorce.

MikaelaArsenault and lbangs like this.
  13. C'mon, don't you see? That's the genius of it! "Yeah, I'm sorry too honey, but the role demands it - that's showbiz, I'm afraid!" :)

MikaelaArsenault and heatherly like this.
  14. shokhead

What's that have to do with taking crap roles?

15. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Dirty Grandpa might be terrible but it will probably still make more than Steve Jobs, Spotlight and The Big Short combined.

16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It's easy money for not having to do a demanding acting role.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I suspect its opening weekend is gonna be hurt by the weather. Awful lot of snow here back east!

18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

It's funny you say how bad Disney movies were in the Seventies - I watched a news clip from 1980 or so of Siskel & Ebert defending Star Wars against a tougher critic, and Ebert said "Star Wars is the kind of movie Disney SHOULD be making, LOL

MikaelaArsenault and mikeyt like this.
  19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Perhaps. And it will still make more than Steve Jobs, Spotlight and The Big Short combined. :D

20. I dunno about the others, but The Big Short looks like it'll make it well into the black. And that's what really matters for a prestige-ish film. :)

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Sad commentary.

22. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Sorry, but I'll wager Dirty Grandpa will never make more than Steve Jobs. ...Oh! Wait a minute, ...you meant the movie. :doh:

:cheers:
    Cat

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Terrific film, killer performance from Rampling. I was wondering (before Oscar nomination) if it would even be released stateside. However, it's a very slow, intimate drama therefore very unlikely to do much business at all I wouldn't think. Would love to be proved wrong!

MikaelaArsenault and johnnyyen like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Exactly. Disney movies were awful in the 1970s, and releasing Star Wars would have transformed the company. Roy Disney Jr. was so upset, he quit the board of directors for awhile and campaigned behind the scenes to have another corporation buy the company and force the current management out. He was eventually able to engineer the takeover by Mike Ovitz, Frank Wells, and Jeffrey Katzenberg in 1984... and they radically changed the company and set the wheels in motion that made them the most prosperous Hollywood studio of the last 25 years.

It's sad when high-quality mid-budget indie films like this can't find an audience. And all three got generally very good reviews. I liked Steve Jobs as a film quite a bit, but I'd be the first to say that it was not the kind of film that would make a lot of money.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I know you're partially joking, but I'll be surprised if "Dirty Grandpa" does that much business.

Right now, the 3 flicks you cite are up to a combined total of $102 million US, and 2 of them are still in theaters, where they're getting an "Oscar bump".

I think there's no way "Grandpa" sniffs $100 million. With or without "snow damage", it just doesn't look like a hit! :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.