Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has it been mentioned yet that Sony have scheduled an Angry Birds sequel for September 2019 to coincide with 10th anniversary of the original game series?

Angry Birds movie is getting a sequel

(This would be a good time for either a cow-milking smiley or even one showing a dead horse being flogged...)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

To be fair, United Artists was tits deep with Heaven's Gate at the time so they couldn't give Raging Bull the right attention.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

alexpop, Thwacko and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Pirates are doing what pirates do....raking in the $$$$.

forthlin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. I suspect the $30k monthly wine bills might factor into it...

mikeyt, Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Vidiot

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You know the current top 4 grossing films of 2017 are a remake ("BatB") and 3 sequels, right?

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think a more pertinent question is WhyTF do they keep paying him loads of money?! :)

9. Vidiot

The Pirates features have just passed $4 billion in total revenue as of this week, worldwide. As long as these silly movies make money, they'll pay Mr. Depp whatever he asks for (within reason).

Yeah, it's an interesting list:

[​IMG]

10. JonnyKidd

JonnyKidd Forum Resident

The Emoji Movie, releasing in July.

This movie will probably tank, because it's most likely going to be outdated when it is released. Also, will moviegoers want to see a film about emojis?

Does anyone else think this will do poorly, or on the other side of the coin, will it do well?

OldSoul, Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Only saw 2 and 3 and only really liked 3.

12. Oatsdad

I questioned whether to call "LEGO Batman" a "sequel" or not. It kinda is and kinda isn't.

Either way, it's not an "original" film, since it comes from a pre-existing property - and probably wouldn't exist if the use of Batman in the first "LEGO Movie" hadn't been so successful.

So by my count, the current top 10 has 3 actual "original movies": "Get Out", "Boss Baby" and "Split".

I guarantee none of those will still be in the top 10 by year's end. The 10th highest-grossing flick from 2016 made $270 million, so the $175 million of "Get Out" ain't gonna keep it in the top 10.

Is it possible the end-of-year top 10 will include only remakes and sequels? Yup - maybe even probable.

So the notion audiences now reject remakes and sequels doesn't make much sense...

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Pirates I can understand but his other movies...not so much :)]

But, hey, if he can get it, well I'd take it too.

JonnyKidd and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why would emoji's be 'outdated' by July??! I think it will do very well.

JonnyKidd and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Baywatch = Bomb

I knew it would too because the movie only got 3rd place. Looks like my prediction was right after all.

16. JonnyKidd

JonnyKidd Forum Resident

Fair point, actually. I guess my thoughts were more clouded about why the studio thought this would be a good idea in the first place. Regardless if it does well or not, I will give this one a pass.

17. MikaelaArsenault

Same.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Alien Covenant dove hard domestically in week #2, $10.6 million down almost 71%, see it now would be my advice to anyone who wants to see it on the big screen, it won't be around for long.

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

eddiel, Jrr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

21. Vidiot

You see the box office grosses on Baywatch?

Here's a list of all the bombs so far for 2017:

Chips
    King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    Power Rangers
    Monster Trucks
    A Cure for Wellness
    Collide
    Ghost in the Shell
    Life
    Rock Dog
    Sleepless
    The Promise
    The Space Between Us

2017 Box Office Flops | Every Movie That Bombed In 2017

Chips is a reboot; King Arthur is a remake/reboot; Power Rangers is a remake/reboot; Monster Trucks is a toy tie-in; Ghost in the Shell is an anime/video game remake; and the rest are original films. There are tons more of these coming out in the next 3 months. How many of these will fail?

One problem with this list is that they don't include the movies that are merely "disappointments." If Alien: Covenant was expected to make (say) $500 million on a budget of $160M, then they have a problem.

Box Office: 'Alien: Covenant' Suffers Brutal 71% Drop As 'Guardians 2' Tops 'Guardians'

22. Oatsdad

That still doesn't "prove" that audiences are tired of remakes/reboots/sequels. Just because some of those efforts flopped doesn't mean it's because audiences are tired of the whole "genre".

Of the 12 movies you list, eight of them aren't part of existing movie franchises or reboots. The only ones that qualify under "reboots/remakes/sequels" are "CHiPs", "King Arthur", "Power Rangers" and "Ghost in the Shell".

So that list supports the notion that audiences prefer "known quantities" and not "new properties".

Again, the majority of the 2017 top 10 is remakes/reboots/sequels, and I'm betting that come the end of the year, it's possible the entire top 10 could be remakes/reboots/sequels. Are there any notable "original films" we think might do the mega-bucks necessary to get into the top 10?

23. Vidiot

My point is that these endless sequels and remakes eventually crash and burn. Ghostbusters is a huge example: that bomb was so big, it ended careers, causing Sony Pictures to fire about 10 people at the top of their executive branch (including the CEO and President of the studio and the head of production and development). The recent Underworld sequel also failed, and the Smurfs animated film tanked. I'm expecting The Mummy to underperform.

Baywatch is just one of a long, lone line of TV -> feature reboots that didn't work. And even TV spinoffs are fumbling: Blacklist: Redemption did not do well, Prison Break was so-so, nobody watched the TV remake of Dirty Dancing last week. Here's an interesting list of 44 sequels & reboots coming out this year:

Here are all 44 movie sequels and reboots coming out in 2017

My concern is that eventually, they're gonna run out of stuff to remake. Do we need 20 more Fast & Furious movies, or 15 Transformers movies? At what point is it just repetitive and stupid?

MikaelaArsenault, Jrr and turnersmemo like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That point was crossed long ago.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Pathetic list. Aside from Star Wars and that monkey movie, there isn't a single thing on that list I have any desire to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.