Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I'm sure one will be out in a few weeks. One new issue nowadays is that a movie can bomb in America and then still make everything back overseas, so it eventually makes money.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It can make the money back, but it's unlikely to be a big success without decent US box office.

That might eventually change, though. The overseas market continues to grow. At some point in the next decade, I suppose a film technically won't even need the US market to be a blockbuster. I suspect that will begin to alter what Hollywood produces.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Thanks, i'll stay alert for the new list.:cool::-popcorn:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Fate of the Furious" shows the power of non-US box office. It didn't bomb in the US, of course, but its $225m was a steep drop from the $353m of "Furious 7" = especially given "Fate" cost $250m! :eek:

However, "Fate" made $1 billion overseas, so while it disappointed in the US, it more than compensated with non-US receipts...

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Here's another theory. So, you see, the movies would be funny in a different time. You kind of have watch 'Baywatch' through the filter of the impish Coolidge Admin. See? Then it's funny. Or "The House" while that cut-up Warren Harding is in office = Hilarious.
    Hollywood fears jokes no longer funny under Trump

6. Vidiot

7. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Bro, Jokes were good from 2001 back, its the comedian or the writer that chooses to make his audience laugh, or throw Tomato's, Plain and simple.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We all know that, if you stink, you stink, c'mon man....

8. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Jack Sparrow and the Alien: It’s Been Real, But It’s Time for Both of You to Go

"Jack Sparrow and the Alien: It’s Been Real, But It’s Time for Both of You to Go
    Owen Gleiberman
    Chief Film Critic@OwenGleiberman
    JUNE 4, 2017 | 12:34PM PT

A character who rules over a multi-billion-dollar global movie franchise always deserves a grand entrance. But “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and “Alien: Covenant” raise the question: How grand can your entrance really be when you’ve never gone away? In “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” Jack Sparrow, the sloshed freebooter who’s like Captain Morgan on opioids (hasn’t he heard that they don’t mix?), first shows up as a dissipated mess, rousing himself to consciousness as he lies inside a great big metal bank overflowing with gold coins. For a moment, you think you’re seeing Johnny Depp wake up in his bedroom. But even as the series winks at the idea that Jack has seen better days, it leaves us with a non-winking reality: He sure has.

In “Alien: Covenant,” the Alien’s first appearance gives you a similar what’s-old-is-new-but-not-really feeling. We’re on a leafy planet, in rugged terrain that looks perfect for a camping trip; the novelty is that the Alien is going to explode into view not on a sterile spaceship, or inside a slimy obsidian cave with walls like a T. rex’s rib cage, but in the great outdoors. We’ve already seen microbes float into a crew member’s ear like pollen, which leaves you wondering what happened to the facehugger (as it happens, the facehugger is still around, which makes the film seem like it’s playing by two sets of rules, which it is, but never mind). Then the moment of truth arrives. There is much coughing and writhing, there is blood-vomiting, there’s a mood that strains to come off like shock and awe. But when the alien fetus bursts out, the audience feels a bit like an obstetrician presiding over his 10,000th birth. Yep, that’s what it looks like. Next!...."

Much more at the link

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

As of July 10 - here's the TOP 10 worldwide for 2017

1- Beauty and the Beast - $1.261 billion
    2- The Fate of the Furious $1.2387 billion
    3- Guardians of the Galaxy $858.1 million
    4- Wonder Woman $745.6
    5- Pirates of the Caribbean $734.7
    6- Logan $616.2
    7- Kong: Skull Island $566.2
    8- Boss Baby $496.8
    9- Transformers The Last Knight $494.7
    10- Despicable Me 3 $447.2

Vidiot likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Out of curosity I looked at the top 10 films of 50 years ago. They might have been marginally better, not that much better. The three 'serious' movies "Bonnie and Clyde: Graduate" and "Two For the Road" seem respectively overrated, outdated or essentially forgotten. We don't seem to be evolving as a species.
    IMDb: Most Popular Feature Films Released 1967-01-01 to 1967-12-31 - IMDb

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  11. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Not being released until the fall, can't wait to see it
    o

12. Oatsdad

Has there ever been a "real sequel" - ie, one that involves major participants from the original - that took longer between films than this?

35 years from "Blade Runner" to "2049" - there can't be another sequel with a longer gap between films, can there?

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I liked Logan the best of the one's I saw. 3, 4, 5

14. Oatsdad

I've seen 9 of the 10 and will probably seen "Transformers" tomorrow.

"Logan" is easily the best of the bunch, with "Wonder Woman" second.

The rest are mediocre at best, IMO...

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The only one I could think of with a gap of more than a decade was The Two Jakes.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Good lord. Well, 'tis to be expected, I s'pose...
    My wife's entire lifetime...I'll be sure not to tell her that when we watch 2049:laugh:
    I'm probably in a small minority of people who actually preferred The Two Jakes to Chinatown...:hide:

17. It's got a ways to go to beat the 54 year gap between The Killer Shrews and Return of The Killer Shrews, but among major Hollywood live-action films I think it takes the cake. I think its closest competition would be the 25 years between The Hustler and The Color of Money.

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Oatsdad

That's a good one.

This year also had "Trainspotting 2" after a 21 year gap!

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Vidiot

And here's an interesting analysis of how the Hollywood studio execs are freaking out that the overall box office is down 9% over last year, largely because too many sequels and remakes have underperformed...

The summer box office is sending out an SOS. Once formidable franchises such as “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Transformers” keep hitting icebergs like poor reviews and tepid word of mouth. As these costly tentpoles take on water, the summer’s domestic ticket sales have so far sunk 9% from last year, leaving studio executives and industry insiders queasy.

“It’s been a dud by any definition,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “There are a lot of tired, creaky franchises out there. In the past, studios looked at sequels as safety nets meant to catch a lot of money, but they’re not catching as much as they used to.”

How Too Many Aging Franchises Wrecked the Summer Box Office

20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Quite possibly in a minority of one ;) . Can't remember who said it but the line 'When they started they had half a script... when they finished they still had half a script' kind of sums it up!

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oh yes.:love:

22. Vidiot

And here's noted Hollywood comedy writer Ken Levine on why 2017 has seen so many big bomb movie comedies...

By Ken Levine: Why are comedies tanking at the boxoffice?

For the record, the list so far includes:

The House (Will Farrell / Amy Poehler)
    Baywatch (Dwayne Johnson, Zack Efron)
    Snatched (Amy Schumer, Goldie Hawn)
    Rough Night (Scarlett Johansson, Kate McKinnon)
    Chips (Dax Shepard, Michael Pena)

So far, not a great year for comedy. And he didn't even include the Adam Sandler Netflix horror Sandy Wexler... :eek:

budwhite and mikeyt like this.
  23. And of those five studio comedies, only two are vaguely original - the others being two failed ironic takes on TV shows, and a lighter, distaff version of Very Bad Things.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

No reviews of Despicable Me 3? I'm pretty much locked in to go see that one, my kids have been talking about it for months. (It seems to be doing well if it's already in the top 10 after only 2 weeks in the theaters.)

Same with the upcoming My Little Pony movie, which i suspect will be huge. I'm hoping to pass that one off to my in-laws.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I posted this on another board:

"DM3" suffers from "Sequel Syndrome". Each new movie needs to add characters to keep things fresh, but each new movie also needs to service the existing characters.

In "DM3", this leads to a slew of barely-related storylines that get crammed together so all the established characters get their screen time, and it makes the end result a mess. The competing plot points don't connect well and they mean the film feels confused and overstuffed.

Seriously, how many story elements can one short movie contain? We have the Gru/Dru relationship, Gru/Lucy's desire to get their jobs back, Lucy's attempts to be a mother, Bratt's evil antics, Agnes's quest for a unicorn, Margo's "romance" with a local, Minion Mel's rebellion and probably other bits I forget. It's way too much.

Admittedly, I was never a big fan of the franchise, but "DM3" feels like they're running on fumes. The movie's just such a mess, and the quality of the comedy and action doesn't overcome the flaws.

The villain feels weak and shoehorned into the mix. Bratt reminds me too much of the first movie's Vector - they're not clones but they give me a similar vibe, and Bratt never manages to develop into his own character. He's just an excuse for lots of cheap 80s gags.

Dru also feels like a gimmick - "Gru has a brother!" He exists to reflect Gru's journey and doesn't stand on his own well - like Bratt, he gives the movie a way to explore easy jokes but he doesn't do anything notable on his own.

Heck, even the 3D was a disappointment! The first 2 movies had cool/fun 3D, but this one didn't use the 3D well at all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.