Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

While also, ironically, the "we need some hit movies and fast" mentality is probably what led to a lot of this. :laugh:

3. Just a tad of irony there. I thought Wahlberg's horribly flat acting was the worst thing about that movie. His very anemic"whoa" at one point generated giggles in the theatre I was in.

4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think this is perhaps one of the funniest moments; I almost did a spit take the first time I saw this:

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and kevywevy like this.
  5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That scene eventually also resulted in this:

turnersmemo likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Good grief and I get ticked when my estimates are off by $10-20K...$962 million is a serious valuation **** up probably made up of several transactions, goodwill is usually recorded when a buyer acquires a business/assets at a premium over and above the book value of the business, the reverse can also happen and that's called negative goodwill. The $962M is probably a tax maneuver of some sort.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Sony is officially saying this:

“The downward revision was primarily due to a lowering of previous expectations regarding the home entertainment business, mainly driven by an acceleration of market decline. Underlying profitability projections of film performance were also reduced, but the adverse impact of that reduction is expected to be largely mitigated by measures that have been identified to improve the profitability of the Motion Pictures business.”

Sony Warns of $962 Million Goodwill Loss, Says Studio Is Not for Sale »

I think they're essentially saying, "nobody is buying home video software anymore, so our profits are way down and the company is worth less than it used to.

MikaelaArsenault and g.z. like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wonder why? Maybe disc sales wouldn't be declining so quickly if they hadn't turned them into a dreadful consumer experience. With streaming, if I want to play a program, I just hit play and it actually plays.

Compare this with DRM infested discs. We get to enjoy forced ads/trailers - are you fricking kidding? That's on top of the 10 second unskippable FBI anti-piracy warning. Way to be rewarded for playing by the MPAA rules, right?

Then you have to battle through some stupid-ass title screen which you paid some 'designer' a good chunk of the purchase price of the disk.

In their zeal for control, media companies have made using legit physical media a frustrating nightmare. Consumers have noticed and are making alternative choices.

Old Mac, Chip Z, Old Rusty and 8 others like this.
  9. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

^I didn't know there was so much oppression generated
    when spinning a DVD. I kinda still like my collection.
    I have lots of viewing choices. :)

Seems as though there's just as many licensing and distribution
    mechanisms with streaming as there is with BD/DVD to me, IMHO.
    It's all media content control and ownership.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm glad I read someone feeling the same way, and it's getting worse as more and more they are authoring the discs so you can't even skip over all that crap. The previews should be skippable with one click. I didn't buy the previews and don't want to be forced to watch them. I can't even stand watching them in the theaters, after the fourth or fifth one my eyes glaze over as most of them are truly awful imo. I sure don't want it forced on me at home. What are they thinking? Worse still are overly complicated menus. Geez. I just want to put the disc in and hit play. I noticed the last couple of 3D movies I bought superimposed some stupid warning about cautioning to take a break after watching for X amount of time, and it just stays there until you press your remote yet again. You wonder what arrogant person at these studios think this is all a good idea?

11. Vidiot

Many execs at studios make many bad decisions, every day. Particularly in regard to home video and physical media. I'm more angry that 75% of most studios' libraries sit rotting in warehouses and never get released at all.

12. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Don't let anyone tell you the First World isn't rife with inconceivable difficulties.

ianuaditis, MikaelaArsenault and g.z. like this.
  13. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I watched Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) last night on a 2005 Region 2 DVD. The anti-piracy video couldn’t be skipped. On both discs (the second disc is a worthless collection of meagre extras). To say I was very, very annoyed is an understatement. At least there were no trailers. Entertainment In Video (I think they might now just be called Entertainment) are the worst for trailers you can’t skip, but are ‘kind’ enough to allow us to fast forward through them individually.

I loathe animated menus with a passion.

My review of Glengarry Glen Ross (1992):

Salesmen (Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris and Alan Arkin) are threatened with losing their jobs unless they manage to sell plots of land by the next day. The problem with the dialogue is that most of its abstract nonsense. They talk large amounts of gibberish the audience can’t understand or care about. It’s a load of made up bunk they go on and on about. Very little of the dialogue is truly comprehensible. Also some of the dialogue Al Pacino said was plain meaningless crap. There was also the very fake sounding love of repetition which sounded deeply unnatural. So no, I did not like the film. It was a bit of a dull bore about boring people having boring, barley comprehensible conversations. It wasn’t my idea of good entertainment or drama. Alec Baldwin’s celebrated cameo was unimpressive – it wasn’t the blistering acting master class of reputation. It was watchable enough, and I didn’t squirm too much with boredom so it was more below average than bad. It’s a weak film (written by David Mamet from his stage play) that doesn’t deserve its heavyweight reputation.

Lightworker likes this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Would've changing all that really have made a difference? They key to that answer is in your description of watching a movie via streaming; you just hit play and it plays. So little effort is required. The decline was inevitable and no amount of DRM or designer menu free discs would ever have changed that IMO.

MikaelaArsenault and g.z. like this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

DeNiro returns to the screen in The Comedian, opening widely this upcoming weekend. However, the "scores" it is getting on Rotten Tomatoes are no laughing matter -- a measly 27% (so far): The Comedian »

To play off the title of another movie -- also opening widely this weekend, I guess it should have been titled "I am not your comedian."

I do think the documentary on James Baldwin, I Am Not Your Negro, will be one of the best documentaries of 2017. He was writer and social critic, a man of staggering intellect, ahead of his time, with razor sharp perceptions on racism and sexism, who was disillusioned with America and went to live in France when he was only 24 years old: James Baldwin - Wikipedia »

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The Irishman (2018) Good be good.

17. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Your right, of course, and it's hideous.
    One of the great benefits of ripping your discs to MKV files is that when you play the file -- the movie starts, no bullsh*t and it's instantaneous.

Chip Z, budwhite and Deesky like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And you can watch it any time on any device platform.

19. Vidiot

You've clearly never seen a David Mamet film or Broadway show, because that's pretty much his style. Note that the play -- which had essentially the same dialogue -- won a Pulitzer prize and a Tony award. Just saying. (Also, this has nothing about the hits and bombs of 2017, so you might want to start a separate thread criticizing this film.)

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am going to hazard a guess that you aren't in sales, because if you were, that movie feels so real that you just cringe ( much of it in delight) and really relate to a lot of it. I love the film, but it is like any movie. If you can't relate to it, you simply can't get into it, no matter the subject imo. The acting is nothing short of superb. So is the writing. But if I weren't in a sales related industry, my response would equal your's.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You're probably right, but dvd's can still be a dreadful and frustrating experience. No excuse for it.

eddiel likes this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It might be too "American" for you to fully appreciate. I worked in advertising sale for a while so it hit home of me.

Jrr likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I kinda hoped it would be better than the previews, which make it look like a mediocre sit com. Apparently that's all it is.

Is this all DeNiro is being offered?

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

25. No kidding. Those idiots are sitting on a goldmine & don't realize it. Or do they realize it & simply mine it for remake concepts? Hmmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.