Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I was big into comics circa 1981-84, I loved "Avengers".

I actually planned to try to get every issue of "Avengers", partly because this seemed realistic. No way I could go back 40+ years for "Action" or "Detective", and even then, prices for the early issues were well beyond my means.

Heck, even though Spidey and the others had been around only about 20 years, those early issues were also too pricey for me.

"Avengers" was at a sweet spot: popular enough to be a "Silver Age classic" but not as pricey as Spidey, FF, Hulk or the other biggies.

I managed to get a copy of "Avengers" #1 for $35 at a convention in 1982 but didn't end up pursuing more than that - at least not seriously. I got some other back issues but lost interest in comics before I made a dent.

Anyway, I knew Ant-Man because of "Avengers" - he was in issue #1!

I think I knew him anyway, but my acquisition of #1 sealed that deal...

Wounded Land and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You can't compare Ant-Man to BP.

BP is central to the Marvel Universe because of his power and position, so he's always an important character just because of who he is. Ant-Man is largely irrelevant (hasn't he been a Skrull all this time?).

BP is up there with the group of 'important' global players - like Namor and Black Bolt and Dr Strange, someone who controls a realm or kingdom. That makes him a global player.

It's absolutely on point that in the Infinity War film Thanos is attacking Wakanda as his plan only works if he takes out the most advanced civilisation on the planet.

So BP is central as the fate of the planet is partly on his shoulders. He is central to what happens on Earth 616 due to being head of state of the most advanced culture on the planet. That's what makes him central. In any of the comic books when a big global event is going down then he becomes a key player.

3. Oatsdad

Yeah, that's the "comic book fan" of the characters' importance.

I'm referring to the commercial importance.

In those terms, Ant-Man and BP were obscure pre-movies. Neither was well-known among casual fans or in pop culture generally.

Throw all the lore about how important BP is to the comics at me if you like - that's not the discussion underway in a thread about what movies will be hits...

Stormrider77 and Vidiot like this.
  4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Blade, would kill Black Panther in Fight.:D

DHamilton likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Are you joking? In terms of 'commercial importance' then BP is even more important. Obviously in terms of demographics and global appeal. The film is already breaking pre-sale records and will be one of the highest grossing films of the year easily.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Blade isn't in the same league as BP.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Also, I'm a bit staggered how some people look at these things. Maybe some people are out of touch with popular culture? Not a bad thing I guess :)

But the world we live in now - it's not all white men on screen. The world was crying out for a great female led comic book movie and they nailed that with Wonder Woman. The next step was a black led comic book (big budget) movie - the commercial importance, as long as it was good, was huge.

I can't fathom anyone thinking a great black led comic book movie would not be of great commercial importance (as well as cultural importance obviously).

8. Oatsdad

:sigh:

"Commercial importance" referred to the character's status before he got developed into a movie. BP was never a particularly famous/successful character in the comics and remained obscure to the general public.

That's why there was so much discussion about the movie's potential: the character wasn't well known to most.

GotG had a huge hit movie - that doesn't alter the fact that most people had never heard of them prior to that film.

Same goes for BP: minor character in the greater scheme of things prior to his inclusion in the MCU...

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Where did I argue against a mainstream superhero movie with a black lead character? Where did I argue it should be white males only?

You're going serious Straw Man here...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I didn't accuse you of either.

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Jim B. said:

But the world we live in now - it's not all white men on screen. The world was crying out for a great female led comic book movie.

I missed all those screams but that line sounds good.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    "No capes!"

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Oatsdad

That's an awesome poster!

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

If you say Blade is half vampire with all there strengths none of there weakness..
    Black panther is just human. with some skills.I read the comics too jim...

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He's not just human. Read his abilities on wiki.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I like Bruce Wayne's explanation of his "superpowers" in Justice League: "I'm rich."

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just seen ..
    Maze Runner Death Cure.
    7/10
    Still think the first one was best.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

20. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Ain’t that the goddamn truth. I feel this this a terrible time in history to be a film buff.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Looking forward to the embarrassed silence of the "Black Panther gonna bomb!!!1!" crowd this weekend.

Stormrider77 and Jim B. like this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Stormrider77 and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'll manage . . .

[​IMG]

24. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I have FilmStruck as well. It’s great for discovering cinematic gems, but I miss the excitement of going to the movie theaters for a new movie because for better than 15 years now the roster of movies I want to see has been so barren.

25. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.