Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think this'll do well

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But this isn't the case at all. From very early on they were doing stories outside of the Empire v Republic/Rebels thing. I bought the UK SW Comics in the late 70's and there were all sorts of stories in there, and there have been in the expanded universe for years.

It would be new to Cinema true, but the hardcore fans would love a film like this being nerds and as long as it was done well then the casual audience will be up for it. The example I give always is Guardians of the Galaxy - no-one knew that property, even hardcore Marvel fans were not that familiar with it - they made a great film and it was a huge success. It doesn't have to be stories or people we already know.

The latest film to get the green light is a Boba Fett film, which will no doubt focus more on the criminal underworld. Being directed by Logan director James Mangold. I'm up for that, as long as they don't make him white or black, it is established in cannon he is a clone of Jango so should look like that imo.

Bottom line for me is, as we have seen, it doesn't really matter what story you do as long as you make a great film.

3. She's done. It has already been decided. This is about salvaging the movie franchise and Episode 9's box office. Hear me now, believe me later.;)

She was already on thin ice behind the scenes before the disastrous Solo's box office. Disney needs a scapegoat with the fanbase and that scapegoat is Kennedy.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Source? I always post links when I can, whenever an interesting theory like this comes up. Disney tends to play things very close to the vest. (And I just worked all day on Disney promos, so there you are.)

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How can you "step down" when you've been fired? :confused:

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're right - non-movies have covered a lot of territory.

I did really just mean the movies, as those are the enterprises aimed at the broadest audience. You can get away with more variety of stories when they're intended for a small subset of the audience...

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I predict that the following movie, to be released June 15th, will be a Bomb:
    [​IMG]

However, I do admit that present-day fans -- both of them -- of Tyson and Seagal will enjoy the movie.

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Mike Tyson and Steven Segal in the same film? What more can you possibly ask for? Warm up the Academy Award hype!

- Buck

Matthew Tate and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Out on DVD/Blu Ray - June 15th at 6:00 PM :D:D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Jesus wept...one look at the poster and the cast, you know this thing isn't just going to be a bomb, it's going to be a "MOAB"!:laugh:

Ghostworld and townsend like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very, very well written and as someone who saw the original in 1977 and is now 56, I quite agree with every single line. I have almost no emotional attachment left after that stink bomb TLJ, though it was more entertaining when I saw it the second time. However, your most insiteful line, and one that is very profound and if
    I’m any indication is likely correct, is it may not survive the transition. I don’t think it’s nearly compelling enough to bring in a significant number of new fans for the long run, and clearly they are winding down for the original ones. I will go see the next one out of curiosity, though I have no big expectations which is a far cry from how I felt about Force Awakens, which I thought was brilliantly done considering the legacy it needed to live up to. It was darn near perfect for my expectations. But then they kinda kicked us legacy folks out of the game with TLJ, it will probably be more apparently so with the next one, and unless there is something incredibly amazing to set the stage for X, then I think the big numbers are all over for this franchise.

Disney should be very concerned if I am the typical consumer. Clearly newer fans were not interested in legacy characters, and legacy fans had no interest is seeing Solo played by someone else. I wouldn’t want to be in Disney’s shoes, and in hindsite maybe this outcome, should it happen, was inevitable no matter who was in charge. Fisher is gone, Ford doesn’t want to do it, and they changed Luke’s entire persona in TLJ...I sure didn’t want to see the Luke I grew up with played like that...what was that anyway? He got back in the game to some degree near the end, but it was too late for me... I had already given up on him by the time he pulled it out towards the end and it really felt tacked on. For me, the magic is gone. Curiosity, and Abram’s skill, are the only reason I will go see IX. It’s a shame that in one movie, it has gone from exhilirating to I’ll be surprised if I like it. Wow...what a come down.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If my above post turns out to be correct, she shouldn’t be blamed. Long term, she is likely in a no win situation. You have to give her credit for trying, and for stepping out and giving us other stories and making every dollar she can...it’s her job. But if I’m right, this is not going to work out for the reasons a few of us have stated. I don’t think this franchise will survive moving on.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

15. It makes me want to stop exercising and nosh on a triple-decker truck-stop cheeseburger.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Oceans 8 pretty much is dead I figured that a long time ago..
    As far as gremlins I welcome it with different writer and director
    I lost faith in Chris Columbus after Percy Jackson and dreadful
    Pixels like somebody he just shows up for a check..
    Really sad.

hellion likes this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Lucas built Star Wars on archetypes that cross all barriers. I don‘t see a white cast as the problem at all.

They did alienate their base with TLJ. Worse yet, I do not think they have established new characters that people are vested in. As was said above, I will see IX to finish it up, but little else. I did not go see Solo, and I am a Star Wars guy. If they cannot get me to the theater, there are problems.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bring back JJ Abrams. That’s all I can say.

20. It's rumored he will replace Kathleen Kennedy as the head of Lucasfilm by next year. I'm not sure I buy that rumor but it's out there.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

22. Well I know it bombed, but my son and I really enjoyed Han Solo. I actually enjoyed it more than the last Star Wars movie. It's a real head-scratcher for me why this movie tanked.

23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I really think it's too much of a good thing. As mentioned before, we used to get one or two tentpole pictures a year and now we get at least one a month. I'm sure the real nerds are in heaven but for casual fans, I reckon there has to be a saturation point. I think if they had kept to the original process of alternating a Star Wars Mythos film with a stand-alone adventure and keeping them to one release a year, that would give people time to build up their hunger again. If we knew we were getting a new Star Wars adventure every Christmas, that would be kind of cool. I think Solo would have done much better in that circumstance. Disney is getting a little greedy methinks and could end up killing the golden goose if they aren't careful.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bad press. Movies are expensive and a time commitment. People listen to buzz.

eddiel likes this.
  25. My sons and I very much enjoyed this film. Not quite to Rogue 1 level, but it was similar to that feel. It was much better than Force Awakens or Last Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.