Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agree that one per year would be right/enough. I think some of the loss of heat on Solo was due to people's disgust with some aspects of Last Jedi. Just like in music, the effect of a bad album is more acutely seen in performance of the NEXT album.

2. The day cannot come fast enough when there are ZERO new comic book films in the pipeline.

ohnothimagen and Deesky like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I like a mix of a little of everything, but I agree that it's a drag when you go to the local multiplex and 6 out of 10 movies are all comic book or action/adventure movies.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Why? You don't have to go see them.

Vidiot and GlamorProfession like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Huh? It was the 2nd place movie last weekend and has already made $84 million after 2 weeks.

You "figured" wrong...

Matthew Tate, sunspot42 and bobbyhol like this.
  7. Oatsdad

It's not called that because it doesn't exist. "Gremlins 3" is just what the article writer referred to it as...

8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Didn't make hundred and ninety million plus so failure..

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think Ant man will not do well and neither will captian marvel next year
    Then Disney 5 yrs down the road will sell marvel to Netflix.:D

10. Because they draw funds from and theater space in place of things that would be or at least could be better. And because they are terrible.

ducksdeluxe and John Moschella like this.
  11. Oatsdad

:rolleyes:

$70m budget. $121m worldwide after 12 days. Yeah, that's a "failure".

Have you ever once posted anything here that wasn't just whining or criticizing? :shake:

12. Oatsdad

That second part there is what we like to call a bad case of "Subjectivitus".

As for the funds/theater space being used for "better" films, well that's pretty darned subjective too.

People act like Hollywood would throw all their money at quirky dramas if only those silly blockbusters didn't exist!

In the 1950s, I bet you guys all went to the diner and bitched about how all those Westerns left no room for any other kind of movies...

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think that's too much to expect, but I would be surprised if Ant Man & The Wasp does huge business. Too early to say on Captain Marvel. Netflix is extremely huge, and (on paper) they have enough money to buy several studios right now. But Apple has enough money to buy Netflix and every other studio (several times over).

Oceans 8 did OK. I bet once the dust settles, it'll be profitable, but not necessarily a blockbuster. The original 2001 Oceans 11 made $450 million, and I tend to doubt it'll go that high. But there's a difference between being successful and being a monster hit.

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

That's hilarious and possibly true. It's all going to be down to the quality of the movies they make post-Avengers. Ant-Man will do okay if it's good. I think people could use another Marvel-lite comedy adventure right now. Not sure about Captain Marvel - it's not a well known character. I am very intrigued by the early days of Shield angle though. I think generally Marvel will need to take more risks with the next phase of their planned dominion and maybe make more stand alone adventures so as not to hamstring their films with continuity issues. I think Iron Man would have been a lot better if they had explored more of Tony's demons but it's hard to do that when he has to be in the next Avengers movie. Disney also seems like they're pretty risk averse. Solo didn't do as well as they wanted it to so now they are packing up their Star Wars toys and going home for awhile. Hopefully they learned their lesson about crowding the market but who knows? So many intangibles here. It will be interesting to see how this all develops. I just hope when the smoke clears that we finally get at least one really good Fantastic Four movie. One can dream.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I was at an event recently and saw some early footage and marketing plans for Captain Marvel. This is really the first female superhero (as a lead character) and I think that will resonate strongly with girls and young women. My initial thought was that this movie will is similar to Black Panther - not a well known character, but a symbol and hero to some not served by the typical superhero movie. If I'm a betting man, I'm putting money on this one to more than cover the spread.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Wonder Woman?

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was trapped in a restaurant bar, watching the Silver Surfer Fantastic Four installment and I had to grudgingly admit -- they got the tone of the original comic books exactly right, at least for that movie. We may prefer a darker take on our superheroes now, but that movie was spot-on dialogue, characterizations, interactions, plot, etc. Everyone and everything was pretty much what I had read in the '70s.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah not the first. But there's room for two I think. :)

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. That's a good point. But at the risk of being "old many yells at cloud," I just don't understand the nation that flocks to superhero films and why there are now so many each year. I realize the opinion is subjective, but it's still there. I suppose it would be even worse if the theaters were filled with bad rom-coms like most of Jennifer Aniston's ouevre.

20. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

ah...right. Point taken, but I think Marvel's marketing machine is so much superior to DC's, I still think this will be much bigger than WW.

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I have a soft spot for those movies - they are entertaining but a little silly. I agree Silver Surfer is the better film. I do think they kind of screwed the pooch with Galacticus though, but I am a hardcore fan of the Jack Kirby version. I still think they could do a really epic space saga, especially in this post Guardians world where there seems to be limitless potential in depicting adventures in space. I do hope they learned their lesson with that last version though - Don't F with the FF Formula. I can't even sit through that one. Anyway, I remain hopeful.

22. That's my take as well. Rogue 1 is still my favorite of all the re-boot and prequel movies.

23. Oatsdad

I suspect I've said this before, but there really aren't that many superhero movies out there. It's just because they're so dominant at the box office that they seem omnipresent.

Look at the 2017 charts. Of the year-end top 10, 5 were superhero movies - sounds ominous!

But when you go top 20, we only add 2, so that's 35% vs. 50%.

21-30 adds zero superhero movies, so now we're down to 23%.

31-40 adds another zero superhero movies, bringing us to 18%.

Unless I missed something, 41-100 includes only one more superhero movie - and "Captain Underpants" barely qualifies.

So if you look at the absolute top-performing movies, you'll think we're swarmed by superhero movies, but among the top 100 films of 2017, the genre only accounted for 8 percent of the releases!

Is 8 superhero movies in a year really that overwhelming?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Galacticus could be one of the all time great villains, as he 'personalizes' a Universal threat. You'd need a real director tho, someone like Michael Mann or Inarittu, who could convey a sense of foreboding and deliver fully realized and cogent action sequences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.