Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

alexpop, Vidiot and Michael Rose like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Better link here:

Biggest movie flops of 2018

Here's their list:

A Wrinkle in Time
    Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Skyscraper
    Early Man
    Red Sparrow
    12 Strong
    The 15:17 to Paris
    Tomb Raider
    (bomb in the U.S., hit overseas)
    Gotti
    Proud Mary
    Annihilation
    Death Wish
    Sherlock Gnomes
    Hurricane Heist
    Action Point
    Adrift
    Pacific Rim: Uprising
    7 Days in Entebbe
    The Catcher Was a Spy
    A Kid Like Jake

Most of these are minor films I think most people wouldn't give a crap about, but I know Disney had high hopes for Wrinkle in Time and Solo, which were big-budget disasters. Currently, the film Happytime Murders is tanking, and apparently the only good/funny scenes in that film were the ones in the trailer. The trailer had me on the floor, but let's face it: it's basically a one-joke movie. "Hey, isn't it funny when puppets swear and have sex!"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I think there will be a sequel even though Tom is approaching 60 by the time it will be released....

This week's #6 movie, "Mission: Impossible - Fallout", is now within $4 million to become the highest grossing domestic release in the franchise (not adjusted for inflation). "M:I - Fallout" has earned over $726 million worldwide, making it the highest grossing worldwide release not only in the "M:I" franchise, but the highest grossing worldwide release in Tom Cruise's career.

SandAndGlass and mBen989 like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's enough to make Tom wanna jump on a couch again...

[​IMG]

mBen989 likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Henry Cavill is not playing Superman anymore, hopefully he'll get the James Bond role now.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Let the DC universe die. This lot will never get it right.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They got right with Wonder Woman, in my humble opinion. And there is some potential with some of the film’s that have been announced. I’m interested in seeing what they do with Batgirl.

8. alexpop

:agree:

9. alexpop

Disney bring back James Gunn.

10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Wrinkle in Time strayed from the source material and angered fans from the get-go. And that fanbase is not too large to begin with. Bad word of mouth from there and you have a dud.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Give Nic a chance :D

[​IMG]

enro99 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Predator has all the markings of a decent opening weekend followed by a very quick crash and burn.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not a decent opening weekend after all. Box Office Mojo says the film delivered the lowest opening weekend gross for a live-action film debuting in over 4,000 theaters. Only $24 million which is pretty bad.

I like the Predator films a lot, even the crossovers I find ok, and I like Shane Black, but I just didn't feel very excited about seeing this. I guess most people are the same.

Deuce66 likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Arnold turned down the part offered to him. He usually takes these, so that probably tells you something.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. alexpop

The Predator ( 2018).
    Pretty good, better than I thought.
    Set up for a sequel, if the Chinese market likes it ..there's a possibility.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hard pressed to hit $8.7 million in weekend# 2, down almost 65% - China won't be able to save this, their take of the box office is very high.

17. alexpop

Went to see it again today, even better the second time.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that a lot of these older genera movies are finished, as you said, "What fascinated US as children -- knights, ships -- has little resonance a few gens later."

About none of the under thirty audience, gives a damn about the things. Movies in general mean little to them, they are raised in a world where there are/were movies anywhere and everywhere.

Movies in general don't have any meaning to them. They have so many other things in their lives.

At the motel, I have a DVD lending library and I have players in the rooms. It was fairly revolutionary some years back, when I conceived of it.

[​IMG]

I have about 400 DVD's and I rotate them through the DVD case in the main office desk. The bottom shelf has the children's movies in it. I have a decent selection of children's movies.

Here is a 7-year old child. I used to watch her back in 2016 & 2017 when her mother used to work 12-14 hour shifts all night.

[​IMG]

She stays busy 100% of the time, from when I pick her up after school, until the time I put her to sleep. She makes video's, draws picture's, writes stories, like the five page story in the picture.

I have a nice HT, large screen TV and surround sound. I can put on movies, she pays almost no attention to them. She looks up now and then and then she goes back to doing what ever she was doing.

Growing up, my friend's and myself loved to go to watch movies. Before watching this child, I never knew any child who showed no interest at all in watching movies.

Even adults I know, enjoy coming over for movie nights.

Forget about the movies we grew up on and used to watch, I have doubts that movies and movie theater's as we know them will continue to be a viable medium.

Sadly, I couldn't agree with you more.

As you comment, it takes entirely too long to take a contemporary subject from a rough draft of a script to the screen. By then, everything will have changed and will have moved forward and the audiences are no longer interested.

Yes it can, but the room that you are looking at is in here. This is a commercial area, I don't really have neighbors as such.

[​IMG]

Check out my tour at the bottom of my profile. :)

Matt Richardson, Jrr, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks really, cool, man. That DVD lending library was a nice touch. Congrats on the cool business.

Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ft. Lauderdale. So for a week a two a year you live in absolute madness! Must be fun. Of course you have to chase freeloaders from the room meant for two all day long!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

Actually no. Spring break is not what it was back in the 60's (or 70's) as depicted in the Movie, Where the Boy's Are, which made its world premiere here back in 1960. The movie theater where the movie premiered is still here. That movie officially made Fort Lauderdale the epicenter for spring break in the United States.

Today, many things are different. Schools now stagger spring break, so there is no critical mass, like it was in the old days. Besides that, there are so many other destinations for spring break, both in and out of the country.

However, we don't have spring breakers nor do we accept any holiday business. We are an unusual little place. We don't work with any online booking sites and we don;t accept any walk-in customers, we don't even have a door knob on our front door.

We have an interesting group of customers... People who are not actual registered guests are not allowed on the property, so no freeloader's.

23. alexpop

Spring Breakers (2012)
    James Franco.:)

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really loved your post. I don’t even know why really. Maybe because it’s right. I think, really, we’ve kinda lost our way. I feel bad for our youth. The girl you watch, my 17 year old daughter. It’s all about having to be busy every second, and looking at their phones. Zero attention span. I tried to share The Sting with my kids a few years ago. They said it was way too slow. I hate new films. They are cut way too fast. I guess at 57 I’m officially old now. But I really liked my youth so much better than what I see now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm sure every generation says the same thing. If when I was a kid we had access to all the information we have today across all kinds of platforms, I would have been over the moon! Which is more intellectually beneficial, passively watching an old movie for a couple of hours or engaging in a wide cross section of different activities, as SandAndGlass mentions:
    I'm far from being a seven your old girl :) but like her, I like to occupy my mind 100% of the time, which is so much easier today than ever before. If you feel badly for the current young generation, wait until VR/AR becomes mainstream!

Jrr, SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.