Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I'm glad the movie is predicted to do well. I know two people who worked on it tirelessly for more than 2 months for over a thousand hours, and so far the visuals look fantastic.

benjaminhuf and Jim B. like this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It just seems off Black Panther maybe putting too much into the character.
    I rather have Werewolf By Night.. as series. then this.
    Or Manthing..

Texastoyz likes this.
  3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yeah, but what's the popcorn budget?

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She bought the $20.99 plastic refillable bucket at AMC, which she brings with her to have refilled every visit for $4.99. She also has the one for Regal, which is much smaller. Both are a considerable savings for those who spend every night at the movies.

adm62 likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I laughed when I saw that deal at the theater. So, you pay $22 for a bucket and then they have no further container expense, for the privilege of still wayyyy overpaying them $5 to fill it. And that's a savings. And your poor wife has to remember to bring it every time. Ha! Only in this country Eh? I do find using the Movie Pass seems to justify my spending more at the consession stand. That's pretty nutty too.

Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I suspect your wife must be 93% made of popcorn by now! :D

Jrr and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

It's a deal only when compared to the regular price of a bucket of popcorn. And yeah, she does have to bring a one gallon bucket with her, but as anyone who has been married for 35 years will tell you, there are things you learn to never question - and "why are you carrying a bucket" is one of them.

Jrr, 4xoddic, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Is MoviePass what's being referenced when a movie listing says "No passes"?

9. Chris DeVoe

No, that is usually referring to the chains own discount passes. MoviePass pays the full ticket price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Glad to see Black Panther getting love. It’s hardly one of the best known titles but, like some of the Marvel secondary titles, worthy of a stand alone movie.

As to duds I saw the trailer for Winchester (for me the concept is cheesy to begin with but, in the right hands, it would have worked well. It looks really awful.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Interesting that x-Men Dark Phoenix 2018 that the 3 lead cast are women, Chastain, Lawrence and Munn.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Really? Odd choices. Don't you think that it's about time we had a modern big budget superhero film with a black leading actor?

sunspot42 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Mirrorblade hates everything! :)

Jim B. and Vidiot like this.
  14. Vidiot

And the noted click-bait website Looper comes up a with a list of what they believe will be the Worst Films of 2018...

Woody Woodpecker (live action/animated update of the classic '40s/'50s character)
    Samson (faith-based film about the biblical legend)
    Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (feature version of the Cartoon Network series)
    Slender Man (disturbing film about the sadistic teenage girls who lured a victim out to the woods to kill her for fun)
    Alita: Battle Angel (new live-action Robert Rodridguez film based on the anime part-robot superhero character)
    Peter Rabbit (very odd British live action/animated character about the beloved children's character)
    Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (second sequel to the Sony Pictures animated horror comedy starring Adam Sandler)
    Fifty Shades Freed (final sequel to the best-selling sex/romance novel series)
    Viy 2: Journey to China (action adventure pitting Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger against each other)

These will be the worst movies of 2018

benjaminhuf likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

That's some pretty low-hanging fruit for the most part - not exactly going out on a limb to predict that the 3rd "50 Shades" will suck after the 1st 2 were terrible!

I had no idea there was a Woody Woodpecker movie! It's going straight to video, though - it comes out Tuesday.

Based on the plot synopsis, that Teen Titans movie actually sounds like it could be fun:

"When the Teen Titans find out that other DC superheroes seem to have movies produced, they seek out on an epic journey to find a perfect director for their debut on the big screen, but an old foe has other ideas planned for them."

High concept but creative! :shrug:

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm of the opposite view, I think this movie will surprise a lot of people for one reason, Rodriguez might be the producer however this has been a pet project for James Cameron before Avatar was made. Final approval of the finished product will go thru him first and I don't see a "worst" movie of the year ever coming out of Lightstorm, it's not going to happen, like Pixar they won't punch out a complete disaster, at worst it will be decent.

alexpop likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I tend to agree. I don't know anything about it, but I watched the trailer (with sound off to avoid spoilers) and it looked pretty amazing. I was captivated by the girl with the huge eyes! There's some really nice CGI work there both in terms of action scenes and visualizations, but also it seems in emotional/empathic character portrayal. I'll be seeing this one.

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

No I want to see The Predator I enjoy that Franchise the rest can fall into black whole..
    X-men ideas are running on fumes I don't like Jessica Chastain...
    Boring .... nothing will top Logan...

19. Vidiot

The girl with the huge eyes was creepy and weird, like a Keane painting. It's a "no" from me. I run hot and cold with Rodriguez -- some of his stuff is terrific, but Sin City left me cold.

Note that this list is LOOPER'S idea of the worst films of the year, not mine.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I love the original Sin City, but the sequel completely sucked!

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cinema viewing for sure.
    Looks like a kick a AI.

22. Vidiot

Bah, I thought the look was very plastic and fake. I have to admit, I thought the story was pretty interesting, though.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was supposed to be, like a live action comic book. I thought the stylistic choices were brilliant and the stories were just pulpy perfection. What can I say, I loved it! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Not entirely - the Eva Green scenes were.... stimulating! :love:

PTgraphics, Texastoyz and Jim B. like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

She was simply stunning looking in the Bond film....that was the last Bond movie I enjoyed.

Texastoyz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.