Predictions for the 2014-2015 TV Season

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Fox has also cancelled Backstrom.

NBC cancels Marry Me, About A Boy and One Big Happy.

CBS cancels Battle Creek and The McCarthy's.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I enjoyed Backstrom but I could see getting tired of it next season.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

One would think so but that is just not the reality of the situation. I'd say ego is a more substantial force in the decision making than profit.

4. progrocker71

Based on what evidence?

5. shokhead

Your joking, right?

6. Scott Wheeler

I base my opinion on the subject on personal experience and shared personal experiences of hundreds of industry folks of various fields in the TV business.

7. shokhead

Well I know if I made that statement you would ask for links.

8. shokhead

CBS Cancels ‘Battle Creek’, ‘Stalker’ & ‘The McCarthys’ Yep, they have now added Stalker.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Pity. It was slowly turning into Twin Peaks

10. Scott Wheeler

Wish I were

11. Scott Wheeler

You read minds?

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think it's generally all about the money. But there are sometimes cases of shows renewed (or cancelled) based on factors beyond just ratings. Famously, Wild Wild West was cancelled after a backlash against the network on TV violence, even though the show was in the Top 20 at the time; not long afterwards, CBS cancelled all their "rural" comedies (Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Mayberry RFD, etc.) because they decided they could sell more advertising based on urban demographics.

I know of a case where a Top 30 show was cancelled simply because the network owed a hit TV producer a favor, and he insisted on that particular timeslot and night. There wasn't any other place to put the show, so poof, it was cancelled. Longtime LA comedy writer and media pundit Ken Levine told a great story recently about a pilot that was greenlit, the cast jetted to NY to appear in the upfront presentations to advertisers, and by the time the plane landed the network changed their minds and killed the show. So some of these decisions are very capricious and unpredictable. But not necessarily ego per se.

I'd also point to ABC, which just unexpectedly renewed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (a very uneven show at best, and I'm a fan) and Agent Carter, but cancelled several other on-the-bubble series, like Forever. The easiest answer to accept is that all these shows had the same mediocre ratings, but the first two were owned by Disney/Marvel, which owns ABC. So that decision was more about keeping the money in-house and not spending it elsewhere.

Here's a pretty interesting list of what got cancelled and why:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/can...networks-make-room-for-new-series-1201491119/

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  13. progrocker71

Nobody expected Agents Of SHIELD to be cancelled, the renewal predictions for the series were 100% for renewal. Agent Carter was the surprise, it was predicted at 35% chance of renewal.

ABC did decide to not do a spin-off series for Mockingbird, most likely deciding the character was more helpful to SHIELD's success. I'm also guessing they were either going to do the spin-off or renew Agent Carter and they decided to stick with the already established show instead.

14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

We loved the shows Marry Me, About A Boy and Backstrom.

This blows.

15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Hey
    Unfortunately it has been cancelled. I'm very disappointed! I love that Alana de la Garza - such a striking woman. Pity the show is over. I'll take Forever over Elementary any day. And Lucas was awesome comic relief too.

fitzysbuna and shokhead like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Of the long list of canceled shows posted above, I only watched Battle Creek, for one episode, before deciding it wasn't very good and dropping it, so I'm not surprised it got canned. The other show, which I watched regularly and liked quite a bit, was Perception. Not really in the top tier category by any means, but it had a likable cast and some of the psychology behind the cases was interesting. I'll miss that one.

17. shokhead

Alana de la Garza sure does something for me.

FVDnz likes this.
  18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I believe what he says, it's sad but true. Too many cooks in the kitchen
    Killed, All My Children and One Life To Live I will never forgive ABC for that.
    a lot of us never will. Greys Anatomy , needs to die and Castle, is rather childish anymore.
    The biggest mistake was letting Disney buy ABC , back 95, I believe.?

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

20. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

As a life long fan of NBC, I'm really starting to hate them. They never seem to give any of these promising comedies a chance to built a story and fan base.

They use to be the comedy network, now not so much.... they should just rename themselves the Dick Wolf Network.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

At least they don't care less...

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Most interesting thing I've read lately is that CBS might be considering a movie sendoff for CSI. Even though I was never a big fan of the show, I think it would be only fitting they give this huge moneymaker a proper ending for the long-time fans.

23. shokhead

I like that.

24. shokhead

Criminal Minds" is officially getting another installment with "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders," which focuses on a division of the FBI that helps Americans who find themselves in danger abroad. The series starring Gary Sinise, Daniel Henney and Tyler James

25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I noticed in that announcement they left off Anna Gunn, which would be my only incentive to watch this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.