Prestige RVG Remasters defective??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lock67ca, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lock67ca

lock67ca Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone may have also had a problem with them.

Of the ones I have, three appear to be defective.

Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Colossus - distortion and sound dropouts on "Moritat"
    John Coltrane, Lush Life - distortion and dropouts on "Lush Life"
    Modern Jazz Quartet, Django - distortion and dropouts on "Django", through the entire track. There may be more. I haven't listened to the rest of the disc.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I haven't bought any of the Prestige RVG's. I was so disappointed with almost all of the Blue Note RVG's I won't do it again. Frankly, if you really want COLOSSUS and LUSH LIFE, do your ears a favor and track down the DCC's Steve did. Or at least the SACD's.

3. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Are these LPs?

4. lock67ca

No. The newly remastered CDs.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

:righton:
    Yup - plenty of better options for this music.
    Don't know why he had to go after the Fantasy catalog.

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

More like they went after him...(RVG).

7. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I am in absolute agreement with you.

Before I sold a huge collection a few years ago, I did have most of the DCC vinyls released up to that time and several of their CDs. Of the ones that I had both on vinyl and CD, I found that they sounded very close to each other. I am not a big fan of CDs, but that comparison told me that the CD medium can achieve great things if properly mastered with great care. Colossus mastered by Steve sounds incredible both on the vinyl and the CD. I have had the pleasure of listening to the original Prestige Mono pressing on vinyl, as well as the second Mono pressing and a 80's (?) Japanese "audiophile" pressing, and I actually prefer Steve's DCC version on vinyl, closely followed by the original Prestige on vinyl and the DCC CD. My ears also could not differentiate between the original Mono and the second Mono Prestiges on vinyl (besides, who can afford to, or would have so many copies to, wear out an original Mono, which goes for hundreds of dollars at least?). I understand that the DCCs are not readily available any longer but if you go on eBay, you should be able to find it within a month. I used to think that this was such a good recording that it sounded good on any version UNTIL I heard the DCC version. I have not heard the Lush Life on the DCC CD but judging from the other DCC CDs mastered by Steve that I did or still have, it would be a great bet.

8. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

don't have any but..........

I think OJC had some really good engineers, and they did it right the first time around. I did'nt even bat an eye at the RVG prestige reissues. Certain titles have been reissued extensively by JVC, Analog Productions and DCC. I have the DCC Lp of lush life and sax collosuss. I don't hear the distortions you are talking about. I do hear some on my MJQ atalantic Lp, so maybe thats on the master. I would seek out the DCC Lp's or cd's, and Green label twofer prestige Lp's. There is nothing wrong with the original ojc cd's and I doubt the RVG's are any better. If it aint broke dont fix it

9. lock67ca

I would agree that Steve's DCC are the best ones to get. If I can't find those, are the original OJC's the best, or the k2 remasters?

I would still like to hear from anyone who has picked up the RVG versions, since I'm not sure if I just picked up some bad pressings, or if it's just a bad mastering job.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Get the original OJCs if you can't get the DCCs.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

shhh... :shh: I'm hunting "Green label twofer prestige Lp's"...

12. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

In order for a best kept secret to remain a best kept secret, don't blab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.