Pretenders albums 1980–2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Highway819

Highway819 Forum Resident

Learning To Crawl for me. Still love Middle Of The Road and My City Was Gone

ARK likes this.
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone recommend the special edition of Alone?

3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Ended up getting it in the end. The live stuff is worth having, I’d say.

Will there be another Pretenders album?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

She has said there's enough for two this year.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I really liked Loose Screw when it came out, it seemed a really solid album. Haven’t played it in years but would love to hear a decent vinyl reissue of it.

6. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

A very underrated and overlooked album. I’ve never seen it on vinyl. I still listen to it quite regularly.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don’t think it was ever released on vinyl but hopefully someone like MOV will reissue it.

DesertHermit and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

"Learning to Crawl" is may favorite, but the first 3 are all obvious classics. There are a lot of great moments scattered across the rest of the albums, too, but no full album as solid as the first 3.

ARK likes this.
  10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Wasn't viva el amor changed between the promos that went out and the commercially released version ?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

12. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I had to vote for the debut, even though neither of my favourite Pretenders songs ('Back on the Chain Gang' and 'Don't Get Me Wrong') appears on it. It's a fantastic album - so assured and complete. Chrissie Hynde has one of the great voices in music.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

There is an early "Unremastered Album Mixes (Running order as of 1/12/99) " tape in circulation with 13 tracks. It includes "Loving you" in a different mix than the track released on the soundtrack of "The Other Sister" as "Loving You Is All I Know", a track titled "Haven't Got A Clue" with a male singer who's voice I don't recognize and a longer version of "Rabo De Nube". It does not include "Baby's Breath". The Album Advance promo matched the regular release.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Hep Alien, phillyal1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Slight correction. They are listed as "Unmastered Album Mixes", not Unremastered Album Mixes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thank you!

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Hate for Sale gets a 7/10 review in Uncut magazine, with lots of comparisons to their earlier work.

Christopher B likes this.
  17. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I’ve been very leery of later albums by Chrissie and company but from what I’ve heard it does sound “classic”

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  18. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I went with Learning to Crawl. The first 2 are great, of course. I just a sentimental attachment to the third album. That is when I got into The Pretenders. Back on the Chain Gang, Middle of the Road and many other great songs. Such a great comeback after the double tragedy of half the group dying. I wish the third album line up could have stayed together and made a couple of more albums.

19. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Everyone knows the first one runs away with it in a landslide. I voted for the second one to buck it up a little. I love that one, too.

I was pleasantly surprised how solid the box set Pirate Radio is all the way through. I should check out the later albums, Packed! is as far as I went with the Pretenders but have always considered myself a fan.

20. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Really enjoying Hate for Sale. One of the best albums of the year.

Davido, Porkpie and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I was in college when PRETENDERS (self titled) came out. I was blown away. Loved it! I was playing guitar in a cover band playing the Boston bar scene at the time. We had a female lead singer so we added a few of the songs off that album to our set; Brass In Pocket, Mystery Achievement, and Stop Your Sobbing. We also covered Talk of the Town when Extended Play came out. I vote the first album. Groundbreaking.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the first 's/t' album is superb, and the special edition with all those bonus tracks is even better.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and phillyal1 like this.
  23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Finally got a chance to listen to "Alone' . Hard pass on this one. I get why Dan Auerbach as producer -- Akron homeboy, etc. But the guitar sound is not complementary. And the songs are meh.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The first and last tracks are both keepers.

Flannel and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Any chance of another Pretenders album?

Matthew Tate likes this.