Pretenders I or Pretenders II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've really been digging both of these albums lately. The only two albums recorded by the first line-up of punk princess Chrissie Hynde's Pretenders are amongst the band's finest recorded works. The first album was released in 1980, and is looked back upon as a classic today, featuring one of the band's biggest hits "Brass In Pocket" along with other great pop nuggets "Kid" and "Stop Your Sobbing." In between those tracks are some of the best punk/new wave songs recorded of the era. "Precious", "Up The Neck", "Tattooed Love Boys" stand as hidden gems and the bass driven closer "Mystery Achievement" remains one of their most iconic pieces of music.

Pretenders II doesn't get as much attention as it's near perfect debut (an album that is hard to top), most likely because it's sound and structure is obviously similar to the first album and the music featured is slightly inferior (at least that's how it was viewed at the time) but in recent years it has picked up a stronger critical stature. "The Adultress" kicks that album off with a garage groove and the following "Bad Boys Get Spanked" is one of the most intense moments recorded on a Pretenders album. The hits, "Message Of Love" and "Talk Of The Town" were not as successful but they carry hooks as catchy as their formers. Like the first album, II contains some great deep cuts, like "Pack It Up" and "Jealous Dogs".

I'll choose the first album, which is near perfect in structure, song writing and performance, though the second album is great and is highly underrated.

Take your pick!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

905 and Hep Alien like this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Pretenders is one of the best rock albums ever made.

Pretenders II is enjoyable, but not nearly as good.

3. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I enjoy both equally....

4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Even though I like Pretenders II , this is without a doubt, one of the most unfair polls of all times .

If I could only own one, it would be the debut hands down...no contest...

And that's my answer.

5. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Just spun this one a few days ago. Clearly my choice, and the dude with the cig is digging it too. I do, however, love the second album and beyond as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fullbug and Aftermath like this.
  6. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I absolutely love II as it contains some of Chrissie's best songs imho - "The English Roses", "I Go To Sleep", "Talk Of The Town" .... That said, it's got filler as well (good filler, but still) whereas Pretenders is lean, mean, pulsating muscle all the way through, from "Precious" to "Mystery Achievement". Even a "throwaway" track like "Space Invader" continues the thematic sense of menace yet wonder present throughout. It's simply one of the best rock albums ever as an earlier poster stated.

ShawnX, redsock and Aftermath like this.
  7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Pretenders I followed by II, the rest of their output pales in comparison! UK pressings sound best!

JG

LandHorses and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  8. davers

davers Forum Resident

I got into both albums in '81 and love 'em almost equally. For this poll I'll give Pretenders I the nod due to the inclusion of extra cool tracks "Private Life" and "Mystery Achievement".

P.S. Learning To Crawl is different of course, but also a great album in its own right!

9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

wow I'm the only one so far to vote for Pretenders II. I love both records but side one of Pretenders II was Beatleesque it was so perfect.

10. bcaulf

At least someone is giving it some love in the poll :laugh:

I had a feeling this wouldn't be close but I'm hoping to find some dedication to II here. I think it is very underrated. And I didn't even think to make an option for both equally :shrug:

ConnieGuitar and davers like this.
  11. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Pretenders I is my clear favourite. But if it is 10/10, Pretenders II still is 8.5/10. (Learning To Crawl 9.5, Get Close 6)

Tom34772, Hep Alien and musicalbeds like this.
  12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I take the first one, the main reason being the inclusion of "Precious".

Grunge Master likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I've always wondered what that original line-up would've went on to do. Just fantastic.

Hep Alien, Fullbug, broccolid and 5 others like this.
  14. bcaulf

I know. It's unfortunate what happened. Fortunately Chrissie was able to pick out another great new line-up to record one of their most successful records.

davers and Grunge Master like this.
  15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The first album is a solid kick in the gut.
    The second album is good, but I always thought the singles tower over anything else on it.

The Adultress - good, but slightly shaky opener
    Bad Boys Get Spanked - odd, good fun
    Message Of Love - classic
    I Go To Sleep - classic
    Birds Of Paradise -filler
    Talk Of The Town - classic
    Pack It Up - great riff
    Waste Not Want Not - OK reggae attempt
    Day After Day - classic
    Jealous Dogs - filler
    The English Roses - filler
    Louie Louie - filler

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  16. The First one and the Extended Play EP as it has the best songs from II.

mooseman, jsayers and dino77 like this.
  17. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The first LP. I am a big fan and like them all, but I recall reading an interview years ago with Chrissie Hynde and in talking about getting that second LP out. IIRC, she referring to some of the songs as a bit "smelly".

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

One. Just awesome. I love you Chrissie. :love:

Fullbug, musicalbeds and dino77 like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I rank them exactly the same way as I rank the cover art of the albums: Pretenders > Pretenders II.

I thought the cover of their second album looked a bit too "artificial" and "contrived" when I got it. It was like a more polished version of the first cover. And I think the same about the music. I still like Pretenders II (especially the singles), but some of the songs sound a bit "forced" to me, and not as powerful and honest as the first album.

KAT likes this.
  20. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

First one is way, way better

tedg65 likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No contest, the debut is terrific, the second one your typical good but ultimately flawed follow up. Shame they didn't get another shot....:(

tedg65 likes this.
  22. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Of these 2 albums I prefer Pretenders I. But my real favorite is Learning To Crawl.

DiabloG, KAT, Beaneydave and 2 others like this.
  23. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Couldn't have said it better.

24. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

I like the cover picture of II. Best Chrissie Hynde picture ever, imho.

25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Yep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.