Pretenders multi-disc deluxe reissues on Edsel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mshare, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I didn't notice that. I'm guessing that will apply to Canada, too. But I do see their 1980s output often in the "previously enjoyed" vinyl bins. Not sure I'd be too much interested in their 1990s and beyond stuff.

2. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Having been a fan since the early days, I like a bunch of the later releases too. I do have to laugh about the popular love of the first three LPs. I certainly enjoyed the second LP, but I read in some interviews done back in the day that even Chrissie Hynde considered some of the tracks on Pretenders II to bit a bit... "smelly".

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Anyone in the US receive their's yet? My Amazon UK estimated arrival date has come and gone.

5. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

6. Muzyck

Nothing here yet. I am not surprised. I think Amazon's "delivery dates" on this were a little over optimistic. I hope I am wrong, but not expecting to see a delivery until late next week at the earliest. :shrug:

7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Nope. Hopefully soon

8. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Got the three albums I ordered two days ago but haven't cracked them opened yet. Wasn't in a real rush to after reading about the audio problems with the "Isle of View" set and in general..

Seems like shipping is just taking longer than it used to overall: I also wouldn't discount the impact the wild weather the last few weeks has been having on overseas shipments once they arrive Stateside. Things are getting slowed down considerably all over.

9. I disagree. I think the Mofi for the first three albums sound exceptionally good. Now some of the Improvements are relatively minor for the second album but they are there.

JRM, Lonson, jsayers and 1 other person like this.
  10. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Not US but my box arrived yesterday here in Eastern Canada from Amazon UK.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine too. I'll be spinning a few CDs this morning.

12. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

My box arrived today! Probably won't have time to listen to it until Sunday, but I'm looking forward to rediscovering these albums. I haven't heard the '90s albums in a long time but I remember them as being quite good, if not on the same level as the classic early material.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Got the four I ordered yesterday, and have watched the DVDs for the first three and am watching Isle of View.

Tommy SB likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Better than the 32XD Japans, better than the original US discs IMO. :agree:

daviddaniel and wayneklein like this.
  15. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Great - are you able to confirm this audio issue on the DVD mentioned a couple of pages back?

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm just about to the end of the disc and haven't noticed any dropouts. Now granted I was doing other things, includkng playing my Phiga Bolt, but didn't hear any defects.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  17. I got mine Wednesday, had to get a buddy to pre-order it for me out of the UK and dispatched it for me (he never used Amazon uk though & got them a day after release), if I was not a collector of this band or others I doubt I would have got it. The Pirate Radio box still has a track or two missing from this one like the single version of "The Wait" to name one, plus other tracks are missing like the Stooges cover 1969, or the extended mix of "My City was gone", but have those on other collector CD's.

18. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I received mine today. Can't comment on the sound/mastering aspects as I'm the last guy to ask about that stuff, but it's nice to have the few b-sides I didn't have and the promo videos. The colors on the artwork looks lousy, though. All of the colors are duller and more bleached out than the original cds.

19. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

The previously released DVD of "Isle of View" is just fantastic for me...

20. Muzyck

It will be nice to have the Isle Of View with the tracks that were dropped from the Rhino DVD. Don't know what they were thinking there.

wayneklein and Tommy SB like this.
  21. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Without a doubt. I'm looking forward to getting it as well...

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I received the Pretenders and Learning to Crawl sets yesterday and am starting with the DVDs. Fun so far. :) In case it wasn't posted already, the booklets credit the mastering to Phil Kinrade at Alchemy Mastering.

23. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Haven't listened to any of the CDs yet but I am disappointed that the booklets don't have any liner notes. Nice to have the lyrics included but I would have liked some historical perspective as well.

24. For that you'll have to get the Rhino's for the first four.

Thoughts on mastering? I know that Edsel has had a mixed history lately but I've found that generally Phil Kincade's work is pretty decent.

25. Clearly the DVD's weren't QC'd or the source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.