Pretenders S/T SACD coming from MoFi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yeah I read on Wikipedia of all places about the issue with the AF disc. Too bad... Steve must have been furious!

2. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have an original UK vinyl pressing, which I preferred to the US and an audiophile version I had (Nautilus?). It is a fairly lengthy album, and would benefit from being spread over 2 lp's. I would love to see this in 45 RPM on double vinyl.

One_L and Preston like this.
  3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Surprised this was released SO fast from MOFI (about a month or so since it was first mentioned on this forum).Where are the Dead SACD's that were officially announced over a year ago? Makes no sense whatsoever!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Not to mention the CTA and Chicago II discs. They've been in the pipeline so long they've gone from being gold discs to being SACDs.

5. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It'll have to be VERY good to beat the Target cd.

George P and bru87tr like this.
  6. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I've just about giving up on these. Fact is at this point I don't care if they get released or not.:sigh:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

No it won't it will just have to be Hirez (which it is) and use good quality source.

8. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

Release date?

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm looking forward to reviews of this - I don't actually own this on cd at the moment. I have most of it on the Pirate Radio box set, though.....:hide:

10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

The Pretenders is an absolute classic.
    Blind buy here.
    Hoping for a download actually.
    I have the original vinyl, cd and a re-master(Rhino?)
    If you were 30ish or under when this album came out, chances are you owned it.

kevintomb and Terry like this.
  11. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

In my search for the best vinyl copy of S/T, I ended up with six LP's, two UK's and four US. By far, by a long mile in fact, the UK RAL 3 kills everything else.

I'll be curious to hear how this new release compares. It will beat out the US, but I'd be surprised if it came close to the RAL 3 mastered by Tim Young (Tim Tom).

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Music Direct is shipping The Pretenders SACD. My copy is scheduled to arrive on today (Saturday). :)

13. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Keith,

alright then, you know the drill then, SACD vs. the target. :-popcorn:

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

My comparison will be against the Japan 32XD disc, the best I have heard so far.

MilMascaras likes this.
  15. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Is the Japanese disc a different mastering from the US Sire 6083-2?

16. eelkiller

I never ran EAC on any of my versions, the Japan disc sounded better than my Canadian Sire 6083-2 and the Target. The target sounded exactly like the Canadian disc. I can run the 32XD in EAC and send the numbers via PM if you are interested.

I have a feeling the new disc will be my "go to" considering the quality of the Learning to Crawl and Pretenders II SACD's

17. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

The best I have ever heard is the Original Japanese CD 1st Issue 20P2-2348 (1988).

Luckily, I use to manage a record store back in those days, and I would often special order JPNs with OBI's, which I use to really like to collect back in those days. I've never seen a 32XD of this, but I recognize that type of catalog number prefix from other JPN CD's, but couldn't find at discos…

On my music server, I have the JPN 20P2 as CD1, and as CD2, the bonus disc from the LOUD 2006 remaster.

But then again, the LP sleeve famously says: "PLAY THIS ALBUM LOUD"

18. KeithH

I'll try to do that. The MFSL disc arrived today, but I'm busy with football right now. All I can say at this point is that there is no booklet with this disc.

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

From Keith Hirsch CD Resource:
    32XD:
    The catalog number prefix used for an early series of MCA and WEA titles issued in Japan. The “32″ in this prefix reflected the retail price of these discs, ¥3,200. While 32XP discs represent original U.S. issues modified for release by addition of an obi strip and Japanese lyric sheet, 32XD discs were custom releases for the Japanese market, meaning that the discs and inserts bear the 32XD catalog number.

I read great many times on this forum that japanese CDs ("ordinary" CDs), not SHM, XRCD, Blu-spec etc) are rated higher for sonic quality, compared to their counterparts from USA and europe.
    Isn't that ironic knowing that USA and europe is located much closer to the original master tapes? :D

20. KeithH

Those 32XD discs were issued in the '80s. Like most discs from that era, they don't suffer from brickwalling, no-noise, compression, etc. Some early Japanese issues have a different mastering than U.S. and European versions from that period. However, some people feel that Japanese manufacturing quality was better and prefer Japanese issues even when there is no mastering difference.

jsayers likes this.
  21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I happen to be one of them. As long as it's not too expensive! :)

22. KeithH

For me, it's a collector thing. Of course, if the Japanese issue has a better mastering, then that's an added benefit. :)

jsayers likes this.
  23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I will be reading reviews before I buy this title.

24. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

That won't be necessary. Your word that the two differ is good enough. Thanks, slick. :winkgrin:

25. eelkiller

:rolleyes: I probably suffering from poor memory U-Beddah but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    jsayers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.