Pretty Things 50th Anniversary box set coming in Feb.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Looks like it - they all have the same 18 tracks. Discogs shows several different versions from 1998 onward that have the same 18 tracks:

1998 Snapper
    2000 Original Masters
    2002 Repertoire
    2003 Snapper Classics
    2004 & 2007 Victor

I don't kow if they are all the same remastering, but they all have the same 18 tracks.

When I posted earlier, I didn't realize that the Victor was just a rehash - it's just what I had. Sorry for any confusion.

2. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

Each LP disk is housed in a cardboard gatefold cover which was open at both ends with the CD in one cover and booklets in some of the others. The following albums included a booklet housed in the second sleeve:
    The Pretty Things-No booklet.
    Get The Picture-No Booklet
    Emotions-No booklet
    SF Sorrow-Booklet
    Parachute-Booklet
    Freeway Madness-Booklet
    Silk Torpedo-Booklet
    Savage Eye-Booklet
    Crosstalk-Booklet
    Rage Before Beauty-No booklet

Am I missing any booklets or did not every sleeve include one?

3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

That matches what I have. And no booklet for Balboa Island.

4. oldgoat

oldgoat Forum Resident

Thanks. I forgot about Balboa Island. No booklet in mine either.

5. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Very nice set but not as nice as the Small Faces one. I'm still very happy with it.

6. Why do you think not limited ? Just because amazon is also selling it?

7. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

SpinCds told me my copy is shipping out to the USA on March 5th. I hate the wait, but I know it's worth it!

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No confusion, and thanks for the response.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yes. Amazon US and UK are listing it with a release date in a few weeks. It means there's more than the only 2,000 originally advertised.

10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Or it has not sold that well through pre-release

11. That's what I was thinking. 2000 copies is about right for this sized full package. I can't image a second printing. I assume they just expanded to other retailers

eelkiller likes this.
  12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

So many people recieved this box and no sound reviews yet :mad:

13. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

The Sound is Fantastic, the Videos Great, the Book and other materials Cool.

14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

What version of S.F.Sorrow in the box? Stereo?

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I sure hope that dvd comes out without the box ,the box is real nice ,but I don't have the space ,or need the Lps again

psychtrailmix likes this.
  16. djfake

djfake Forum Resident

The bonus stuff is really great, especially the live stuff from 1969 Paradiso, Amsterdam. It's an era of the band that's often overlooked - they were one helluva jamming psych outfit.

The video documentary Midnight to Six is also great, because it's first person; they all are very down to earth, honest, it's really great that it finally got released. Also, I would not expect to see this anywhere else, that's according to the people at Reelin' In The Years.

As for the sound quality, it's the Snapper releases.

17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Are these new remasters or reissues of previous remasters? I might have missed that reading through the thread.

18. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

As a huge fan of Parachute, I'm wondering about the demos for that album. Any comments from those who have the set?

19. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Spincds just told me that the release date has been pushed until March 17th and I won't get it in the USA until end of March/early April. I ordered this on January 7th. How are some of you getting copies so early out of curiosity?

20. They are out in the UK U.S. distribution is end of March.

bhazen likes this.
  21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

They are excellent and should really have been on the Anniversary issue of the album and not the acoustic cuts.

They shed light as all demos do on the writing process, though they are pretty complete love 'The good Mr Square' and 'She was tall... ' demos.

22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I went through the Ugly Things website and got mine on release day here in NY. Very fair shipping!

23. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

They're a mixed bag in terms of sound quality having been recorded at various times - some sound excellent while others are somewhat distorted - but then I suppose no-one imagined at the time that they'd ever see an official release.
    'Scene One' is much less layered than the finished version, obviously, but the lyrics are crystal clear here. 'The Good Mr Square' has an extra verse and segues into an unlisted 'She Was Tall, She Was High'. The listed 50 second demo of 'She Was Tall, She Was High' is a completely separate short performance. 'In The Square/The Letter' doesn't have it's verse lyrics worked out yet but is a lovely rendition all the same. 'The Rain' is fine, just a no-frills run-through. 'Cries From The Midnight Circus' doesn't have it's beloved monstrous bass groove yet [or much of it's lyrics; Phil May scat-sings his way through the verses, which is reasonably entertaining in itself].
    None of these are really mind-blowing or anything, but I'm not certain how much my opinion is coloured by the fact that none of the demos for side two have been included [I imagine for valid reasons, but still - we're only getting half the album here].

Personally I've found the other demos from 70-71 more rewarding - with these and the upcoming BBC sessions and single from 1971, you can now just about cobble together an LP's worth of original material covering Pete Tolson's arrival to Wally Waller's departure. I'm particularly fond of Wally's ragged vocals on 'Everything You Do Is Fine', and I have absolutely no idea how 'Wild And Free' escaped being recorded properly.

Elsewhere, the Hyde Park live track is still lo-fi but a significant improvement on the bootleg all the same, while the Paradiso material [what they've included of it] sounds great but is oddly edited compared to it's respective bootleg.

Haven't had time to get to a turntable to hear that 10" yet, or had time to watch the Reelin' In The Years doc, unfortunately.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Nobody has said for certain, the educated guess is they appear to have used the Snapper mastering where possible, it looks like people either don't have those 1998 discs or are too scared to compare. ;)

Hopefully someone can shoot this down and say they are different.

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Got mine weeks ago. US shipping

http://webstore.ugly-things.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.