Priceless Martin guitar destroyed during Hateful 8 filming.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wavethatflag, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This.

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

This

4. npc145

npc145 music junkie

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wow, now I see that it was a real reaction! She looks over to Tarantino like "What the &#!. That makes me really like Jennifer Jason Leigh even more. She was really shocked they ruined that guitar. Remember, she spent a lot of time learning how to play for that movie and probably really came to love that precious guitar. Apparently Tarantino had a smile on his face because he got such a big reaction from Leigh, that makes me like Tarantino less. :realmad: Of course, to these millionaires, it probably means nothing to ruin a very expensive item. Jerk. Now I bet it wasn't an "accident" because Leigh knew they were supposed to cut.

rxonmymind, Scotian and Fullbug like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey, there are at least five Stradivarius guitars still around... let's go smash one!

The general consensus on guitar forums is this was worth $250-300k. A Martin from the 30s recently sold for $2M at auction, to put into perspective these aren't your everyday guitars.

Dan C and Tom Campbell like this.
  7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I haven't seen the film but you could see her reaction was real, the edit was also weird...

8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Woah. Woah!

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, it's weird they even used that shot. I doesnt' really even work.

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I guess they would have felt too guilty destroying a 145 year old guitar AND not using that take in the movie...;)

musicalbeds likes this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

So for the next "The Mummy" sequel they are going to borrow King Tut's mask from the Egyptian Museum because a replica just won't do? This story doesn't make much sense, sorry.

izgoblin and JFS3 like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's bad n' that's sad.
    Rather the geetar, than a horse imo.

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It also takes the scene from the realm of filming actors to making an episode of Candid Camera. Tarentino has become Alan Funt.

jamesmaya and Ghostworld like this.
  14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't understand why Martin would lend out a historic guitar. It's not like the audience is going to know a distressed modern guitar from the real thing.

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

This. With so many off the shelf new relics. Doesn't make sense.

chilinvilin likes this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Didn't anyone from Martin read a script before lending a guitar? Had they been unaware of the type of movies Tarantino makes?

In Norms' Rare Guitar book he describes when he started supplying guitars for movie work and how they would come back damaged. In the end he began selling the guitar to the movie company and buying it back for a percentage of the purchase price depending on condition at the end of filming.

Does anyone here lend valuable items to people who have no regard for it's value?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Let me be the next guy on this thread wondering why the expensive guitar was there on the set in the first place. Just doesn't make any sense.

18. But John Hiatt is heartbroken.

19. And he destroyed his own guitar, not someone else's.

guppy270 and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Everything is "worth bugger all in the grand scheme of things". Your comments are off the mark. A guitar like this should not have been lent out for this purpose. It's hard to believe that Dick Boak did this.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was probably hard to say no. Everyone is susceptible to the allure of fame. Grown men turn to jello when facing Jimi Page, or Paul McCartney, or Angelina Jolie in person. I'm sure someone (Tarantino?) called to say how vital of a role the guitar played in the film, and how Jennifer Jason Leigh was personally going to spend 2 months learning to play it just for this film, because it was so important to the film and to have authenticity, and blah, blah, blah, and some poor chump at the Martin Museum fell for the glitz and glamour.

Guitar smashing movies? What? I doubt anyone from Martin saw the script. Isn't this the script that Tarantino threaten to tear up and not make the movie after it leaked (like it was some kind of masterpiece, anyway).

I guarantee you that anyone on this forum would be running down to Fedex if they incredibly got a surprise call from Quentin Tarantino saying; "Hey, I saw a photo of your refurbished Thorens TD-124 on the Web at the Steve Hoffman forum and tracked it down. It's the perfect turntable for a character in my next movie. I LOVE your table, man. My character is totally into music, he's an old radio DJ, and the turntable plays a huge role in the movie. It's pivotal ....." Yeah, I bet any "sucker" here would start packing it up that afternoon.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Worse. I lent items to a state museum for an exhibit. While most were treated professionally, at least one item was most decidedly not (sustained minor damage, clearly from careless handling). When asked later to loan some other items I explained why I would not do so again. Got an apology but...

jamesmaya and Ghostworld like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So this sucks the guitar is destroyed. But what I got from the article was
    - this was a mistake; they had replicas and should have cut and swapped, so Kurt thought it was the replica?
    - guitar was insured

Not sure why there's so much indignation here. Accidents happen. I don't buy that Tarantino plotted to smash it on purpose. If the item was so rare I don't get why Martin loaned it out anyway since replicas were available and probably would've been fine for a movie.

24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Why did it have to be a Martin? There are lots of cheap period guitars on the market in need of restoration. Buy one for a few hundred, send it to a luthier to make it playable, use, then smash.

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Theres an dark little underside to museums most people don't know about. Like any organization they're only as strong as the weakest link. And that link can be a single ignorant person in the 'right position' or someone who has an ulterior agenda. Well meaning people in the museum world love to share items to expose them to a wider audience as part of their educational aspect. An incident like this usually brings about the sobering realization that what's valuable to them is not necessarily valuable to whoever currently is holding the item.

Muzyck and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.