Priceless Martin guitar destroyed during Hateful 8 filming.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wavethatflag, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is what ticks me off.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...eless-antique-while-filming-the-hateful-eight

"The guitar Leigh’s playing in the scene was an invaluable historical artifact on loan from the Martin; asThe Hateful Eight’s Academy award-winning sound mixerMark Ulano explains to SSN, “There were six doubles made. The guitar was from the 1870s and was priceless. What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut, and trade guitars and smash the double. Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt.”

Apparently, though, everyone else on set had gotten the memo. “Everyone was pretty freaked out” when Kurt shattered the antique, says Ulano, and “when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s [horrified] reaction is genuine.” The only person who wasn’t horrified? Tarantino, of course. Tarantino lives for this. “Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance.”

Yeah, great reaction, Quentin. You notice she says "whoa, whoa, whoa!" Is that an authentic colloquial expression someone would have used? It sounds out of place. Now I remember that phrase sounding odd in the movie.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Certainly a more authentic expression then than now. However, one character suggesting the other is "paranoid" in the 1870's is just ignorant.

Quentin's whole output has been destroying art to make his movies - this is just an actual fact of it.

ex_mixer likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No it hasn't been. That the silliest appraisal of his work I've ever heard. It's being about paying homage to other works of art. Too bad he has a greater appreciation for crappy B-movies than he does for valuable folk instruments.

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Calm down folks, it's just an homage.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Who knows what Tarantino really thought/thinks. It sounds like this occurred because of a breakdown in the communication chain while making the movie. Actors even get killed (as just recently happened, again) by this sort of thing.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

exactly...

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Serves these fools at Martin right who likely were smitten by the directors cool factor to even lend something out to begin with. Anyone that has ever dealt with anyone in Hollywood knows they don't care about anything that gets in the way of their egos and art.

Scott222C likes this.
  8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Surprised anyone in the collector world would have anything to do with Tarantino after what went down with the classic cars he destroyed during the making of Grindhouse (especially when it was reported that he misrepresented his intentions for them to the sellers when they sold them to him).

This incident aside, I've really gotten to where I don't have much use for the guy anymore, as he seems to have cultivated a very ugly and arrogant aura (almost like a bad "ju-ju", so to speak) around himself over time. I know we discussed artists and their human foibles many times here at the forums before, and the necessity to separate the artist from the art, but in his case I find it extremely difficult (and not really worth the effort).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    rxonmymind, rmos and ex_mixer like this.
  9. junk

junk Hellion

The whole thing was stupid right from the get go. :rolleyes:

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Who got killed?

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

12. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

i guess from now on films will have to change the disclaimer to read "No animals nor priceless musical instruments were hurt during..."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Very sad... Kurt's an idiot (but we knew that), Quentin's a dick (we knew that too) and the fella at Martin that OK'd the loan should be looking for a job about now. I've been to the Martin factory museum several times and the guitars displayed offer a great view of the 'Martin' timeline and as a collection, its quite impressive. The only positive from this folly is that Martin will be a little more protective of its guitars and legacy.

Now that I'm thinking of it, has anyone at the studio vaults checked the film inventory since Mr. Tarentino shot 'Inglourious Basterds'? There's a scene in the movie where a large pile of film - acetate prints known to be highly flammable, were set afire. It'd be a real shame if we found out that Quentin couldn't properly reproduce the flames of burning acetate and 'borrowed' some early prints from the vaults. Or perhaps he wanted to make a statement by burning original acetates from Chaplin, Buster Keaton, King Kong, Citizen Kane and such right in front of us as a demonstration of our ignorance to the destruction of culture. His take on Nero fiddling' while Rome burned... Quentin, you sly basterd!

14. whoa (interj.) [​IMG]
    1620s, a cry to call attention from a distance, a variant of who. As a command to stop a horse, it is attested from 1843, a variant of ho. As an expression of delight or surprise (1980s) it has gradually superseded wow, which was very popular 1960s.

Take that as you will. I would put more into question, however, certain expletives being used in the film like MF and C'cks'cker which we're certainly NOT used in those times. See, Deadwood for historical innacuracies.

izgoblin likes this.
  15. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I was noticing a lot of f-bombs in Black Sails last night too...not sure if that's any more or less accurate.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've never heard much of anything negative about Kurt Russell so I guess not all of us knew that.

19. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

True~! Although if I understand their finances in the early days correctly, it's likely The Who and/or Pete might not have owned some of the guitars FULLY at the time of their smashing...

:)

20. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Was there not an assistant director (1st or 2nd AD) that had an inkling of what was intended? And why was it not conveyed to the actor?

There is really no excuse for this to have happened. It's breakdowns in communication like this that cause all types of catastrophes.

21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...at least nobody got killed.

>>>

"
    Brandon Lee

Lee died of a gunshot wound on March 31, 1993 at the filming studio in Wilmington, North Carolina, at the age of 28, after an accidental shooting on set of The Crow.[7]

In the scene in which Lee was accidentally shot, Lee’s character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped by thugs. Actor Michael Massee's character fires a .44 Magnum revolver at Lee as he walks into the room.[8] A previous scene using the same gun had called for inert dummy cartridges fitted with bullets (but no powder or percussion primer) to be loaded in the revolver for a close-up scene; for film scenes which utilize a revolver (where the bullets are visible from the front) and do not require the gun to actually be fired, dummy cartridges provide the realistic appearance of actual rounds. Instead of purchasing commercial dummy cartridges, the film's prop crew created their own by pulling the bullets from live rounds, dumping the powder charge then reinserting the bullets. However, they unknowingly or unintentionally left the live percussion primer in place at the rear of the cartridge. At some point during filming the revolver was apparently discharged with one of these improperly-deactivated cartridges in the chamber, setting off the primer with enough force to drive the bullet partway into the barrel, where it became stuck (a condition known as a squib load). The prop crew either failed to notice this or failed to recognize the significance of this issue.

In the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be actually fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6 - 4.5 meters (12–15 feet), the dummy cartridges were exchanged with blank rounds, which feature a live powder charge and primer, but no bullet, thus allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. But since the bullet from the dummy round was already trapped in the barrel, this caused the .44 Magnum bullet to be fired out of the barrel with virtually the same force as if the gun had been loaded with a live round, and it struck Lee in the abdomen, mortally wounding him.[9] He was rushed to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina where he underwent 6 hours of surgery. However, attempts to save him were unsuccessful, and Lee was pronounced dead at 1:03 p.m. EST. The shooting was ruled an accident.

The video footage of his death was used as evidence in the investigation, then later destroyed as part of the lawsuit settlement.[10][unreliable source?]

Lee's body was flown to Jacksonville, North Carolina, where an autopsy was performed. He was then flown to Seattle, Washington, where he was buried next to his father at the Lake View Cemetery[11] in a plot that Linda Lee Cadwell had originally reserved for herself. A private funeral took place in Seattle on April 3, 1993. Only close family and friends were permitted to attend, including Lee's immediate family as well as fiancée Eliza Hutton's parents and younger sister, who flew in from Missouri. The following day, 250 of Lee's family, friends and business associates attended a memorial service in Los Angeles, held at the house of actress Polly Bergen.

The gravestone, designed by North Snohomish County sculptor Kirk McLean, is a tribute to Lee and Hutton. Its two twisting rectangles of charcoal granite join at the bottom and pull apart at the top. "It represents Eliza and Brandon, the two of them, and how the tragedy of his death separated their mortal life together", said his mother, Linda Lee Cadwell, who described her son, like his father before him, as a poetic, romantic person.[12]
    "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee#Death

22. InRoom19

InRoom19 Forum Resident

I know it is off topic, but a few years ago I had a chance to play the following beauty:

[​IMG]

Original Martin, made before he founded the Martin Guitar Co. It couldn't keep in tune for more than 5 mins or so, but it sounded absolutely gorgeous when it was tuned.

23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Yeah, he might have thought he was getting a great reaction but the scene didn't work. The character JJL played didn't seem to give a care about much of anything. She probably would have laughed in his face for smashing the guitar. The horrified reaction was out of character plus she turned her head away from Kurt Russell & was obviously saying it to someone else. That made no sense in the context of the movie.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Beautiful. Now just make sure to keep it away from Kurt Russell and some star-struck employee at the Martin Museum (who really showed poor judgement lending out the guitar to a film amd also not properly insuring it)...... :)

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It was implied that the guitar
    belonged to her brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.