Prices on new U2 (In Soviet Canuckistan)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blair G., Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

OK,
    We've discussed the Stones pricing around the country.
    What about U2?

The only place I've checked so far was a Future Shop (in Richmond).
    2 CD U2 w/DVD was $19.99. Will check A&B on my lunch hour.

What have you guys seen.

(PS the Richmond Future Shop had ZERO Stones)

2. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Good one on the Soviet Canuckistan - Pat Buchanan: genetic experiment gone wrong!!

Gonna check out Best Buy after work (in Downsview - Toronto), where I believe it's also $19.99 (I picked up the Harvest DVD-A there last week for $23.99). At lunch today, I was over at Yonge Street ..... HMV - $23.99 and Sam's - $29.99 (?!?? - thought they were trying to revamp their business??).

For new releases in general, in Toronto, I would recommend Best Buy (if you're near one - also got the new Fleetwood Mac 2-CD for $19.99), followed by Future Shop. For me, the Best Buy is next to the subway where I park (Wilson), and it doesn't take an hour to pay up (as it does in some Future Shops - 492 salespeople, 1 cash open).

Cliff - Toronto

3. Blair G.

Is there still a Sam's in Toronto? I thought they were all gone. The last Vancouver store closed about a year ago. Too bad...they were my favourite but I miss 'em anyway.

We haven't got any Best Buys out here yet. Are they any better than "The Shop" ?
    HMV is a waste of time, too expensive. They closed their supposed flagship store leaving only the suburban locations.
    Music World, forget it. Virgin...great selection, brutal prices.

Independants are almost literally non existant.

A&B Sound is the only viable option here and have been the best since I started buying music in the mid 70's.

4. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

There is a Sam's in Sarnia, ON. Prices are a little high.

5. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

The Yonge Street flagship store of Sam The Record Man stayed open when the rest closed. The ones, like Sarnia, were independent franchises separate from the chain stores that closed. I believe these stores are slowly closing or changing to other names. We don't have a Best Buy yet, either. One is supposedly opening in the new year. Till then, it's just overpriced HMV, understocked Future Shop, MusicWorld and Sunrise, as well as the independent CDPlus, which not surprisingly is the best of a bad bunch.

6. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Here in the states Best Buy and Target both had the 3 disc set for $14.88 US$, at least for the first week on sale.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Blair, where are these located? I visit Canada a few times a year and was in mourning when I heard about Sam's.

mud-

8. Blair G.

A&B is a Western chain that started in Vancouver as a single store on Seymour Street downtown in the late 50's or early 60's. The store is still there and is their flagship location.
    There are about 20 stores now: in BC (Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver and suburbs, Kelowna), Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge), Saskatchewan (Regina and/or Saskatoon) and Manitoba (Winnipeg).

I've been to stores in Eastern Canada and feel sorry for you guys. A&B isn't perfect but definitely WELL above average for selection and pricing.

Was at an A&B today. Was about to buy the U2 package when a salesperson told me it will be on sale for $14 ($13.99 or $14.99?...don't know) this Saturday during their Remembrance Day Super sale. That's for the 2CD + DVD version.

They recently had 40 Licks for $19.99CDN on a similar one day only sale. They usually have lots of stock for these promos.

Sadly, no Rolling Stones. And, they have only one copy of Bjork's "Family Tree" box set in their system. It's a special order. 6CD's for $85.00.

Anyone know how it's packaged ? Don't want to order if it's anything like her single CD Greatest Hits in the evil digipak.

9. I want to know who has the U2 package with low numbers. As I mentioned in another thread, the limited edition numbers are all very high in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto.

The lowest price I've seen in Calgary is at South Costco. I think it was $18.49 or $18.99. Sam The Record Man was the highest at $24.99.

10. Blair G.

Mike,
    What do you consider to be a 'low' number ?

The lowest I've seen here have been in the 55,000 range, highest 221,000.
    Not very limited from what I can see. Future Shop seems to be in the same range.

11. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I'll have to check at home, but my number is something like 004 307. Got it at Best Buy yesterday .... priced at $21.99. Told them Future Shop had it for $19.99, so they matched it (today's Future Shop flyer says $21.99 :) ). I think they were all low numbers - but I don't think that that means anything (hardly limited). Sam's had both 9000's and 55000's on the same rack.

Cliff

12. Anything under 10,000 would be low-ish. Anythng under 5,000 would be better. Anything under 1,000 would be best. Anything uder 100, and whoever finds me that is my new best friend. :D

My friend who's the manager of the music dept. at A+B South got a chance yesterday to go through every piece they received. He found me one copy under 10,000; 008637 to be exact. I am pleased. But if anyone finds a store with numbers under 5,000, or 1,000, please let me know by PM. Thank you.

Now an intersting thing happened while I was there. The Universal sales rep was with the music manager in the store. She has been in the record biz a long time, back when they were just MCA. She remembered me well, from my days in the music business and I left in 1996. I got to pepper her withl questions about CD releases, remasters, bonus DVD discs and stuff. She says the U2 numbered discs were picked randomly and sent that way to all the stores. She wasn't sure why there are such high numbers in Calgary, sans the one I have.

I just spoke with my brother who is in NYC. He tells me that the HMV (don't know which location) and the Virgin Megastore in Uniion Square have "generic" U2 packages. No limited edition numbers. That was also the deal with Virgin in L.A. when I spoke to them the other day. What is up with that? Are these llimited edition numbered discs just for Canada?

In another thread here, there has been some discussion about bonus DVDs being added to initial releases of some new CDs. Universal is getting in on this at no extra cost to us. My friend told me that Universal is not charging a higher price when adding on a bonus DVD as some other record companies are doing. She pointed of course to the U2. Two discs and a DVD for $19.99. Quite a bargain. AND this weekend as previously mentioned A+B will have the U2 package for a low low $14.99, part of their regular long weekend sale, beginning Saturday morning. One of those rare years when we get long weekend in July, August, September, October, November, and a very long weekend if you get December 27th off. Christmas is on Wednesday this year. I vote for a long weekend every month. :)

The three of us also talked about The Rolling Stones SACD/hybrid discs. I will post that note in the Rolling Stones Canada thread. Some interesting info there including vinyl.

So this $14.99 U2 sale on Saturday puts the three disc package at about $9.65 U.S. Can anyone beat that price?

13. Blair G.

I posted a comment on the ICE page and got the same comment from a couple of the regulars: no numbers on the US packages.
    Re DVD's: most bonus DVD's seem to be "free" except the new Clapton. The 2 CD set is approx. $22 at A&B, the 2CD + DVD is $42. I'm assuming this is because the DVD is also commercially available on its own.
    The DVD package is almost the same price in the States as the CD only set yet it's almost double up here.

14. Blair G.

The lowest number I've found so far is 16400, at a local Future Shop. I'm buying my copy tomorrow at A&B, not too worried about the number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.