Primal Scream’s Give Out but Don’t Give Upbeing reissued with tracks from original sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beamish13, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

noahjld, pathosdrama and Beamish13 like this.
  3. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do wish the Dixie Narco stuff was a part of this, but I’m optimistic that this will be superior to the album they released in ‘94

4. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear this one.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post but Echo Dek was the reworking of Vanishing Point, not GOBDGU

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

:sigh: Oops, that’s right.

rediffusion likes this.
  6. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with Give Out But Don't Give Up. Love the throwback sound and I actually prefer it to Screamadelica. I am looking forward to hearing these Memphis sessions.

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Kudos to them for issuing these sessions as a stand-alone set and not including them as part of a Give Out... super deluxe set that forces fans to re-purchase the original album. I never really got into this album, having vastly preferred what came before (Screamadelica) and after (Vanishing Point), but I’m very interested to check this out.

Beamish13, johnnybrum and rediffusion like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Looking forward to this, although 9 tracks over 2LP's means it's a pass from me as a vinyl purchase, unfortunately. That can't be much over 40 minutes. Looking forward to giving it a listen online though when it comes out. I like the album more than most, and at 9 tracks instead of 12 it's probably a much stronger record, honestly.

9. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Surprising and very welcome release, cheers boys!

johnnybrum likes this.
  10. "Call On Me" is a killllller track. I am excited to hear some of these.

DHamilton, John Bliss and rediffusion like this.
  11. I feel the same way, cut out a few of the tracks and the album would have been much stronger.

walrus likes this.
  12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I can remember being very disappointed with this album when it came out, especially considering the excellent Dixie-Narco EP that preceded it. So I've already pre-ordered the 2 CD edition and hoping it's an improvement

FredHubbard, Beamish13 and johnnybrum like this.
  13. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Listening to it now. I have always liked the original album but this going to be the go to version of this album. Timeless production, horns and piano more to the fore. It's the soulful rock and roll album they intended and did indeed make in 1994. The success and sound of Screamadelica meant that they didn't release this version at the time which strikes as strange as prominate tracks Movin' On Up and Damaged were blueprints for what followed.

14. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Had a listen to the Ardent Outtakes disc and all three of the monitor mixes are excellent. Jesus (I'll Be There For You) clocking in at just over 7 minutes. Also the cover of To Love Somebody is fine as is the original take of Funky Jam. A very worthwhile purchase.

15. marmalade166

Going through some old photos today I came across this, me at the Primal Scream gig April 6th 1994, on the Give Out But Don't Give Up tour :p

[​IMG]

16. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Higher Than The Sun :laugh:

17. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Just listened to it on TIDAL - wow! What a great album it is, just wonderful.
    Soooo much better than released album, I’m simply stunned...

18. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

was the joint good? :)

19. marmalade166

The joint (s), the tequila, the brown - and there may have been some speed as well :righton: I couldn't figure out who was more stoned, me or the band :D

20. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Alan McGee claims that this album cost Creation Records even more to make than MBV's 'Loveless'. Because the band and producer spent months in the studio getting wasted and recording rambling cover songs.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  21. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

But that's the whole point of Rock and Roll...

22. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I remember an interview when they talked about visiting Elvis' grave while completely wasted... :edthumbs:

23. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Looking forward to this one, new versions of some great tunes/

I'm in the unfashionable retro camp that loves the original Give Out album, it was the first Scream I heard. Mind you I like Screamadelica too, and most of the rest (well maybe not the first album...). I like the fact that there's variety in their catalogue and don't see any need to take sides.

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Just had a quick listen to samples of each track on my amazon auto rip, physical copy should be here very soon.

25. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The Dixie-Narco EP is often overlooked. I don't think many people know it contains the song "Screamadelica" which I rank as one of the band's best tracks of this period.

Mark R Jones, D.B., Maurice and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.