PrimaLuna help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Haggis_The_Barbarian, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haggis_The_Barbarian

Haggis_The_Barbarian Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a set of Dialogue 7s. I didn't really have any cash left for a pre-amp at that moment, so a friend picked up a Marantz 1090 for me, and I just set everything up last night.

Now, I'm kind of fretting, because I'm finding the sound somewhat brittle, perhaps even a little distorted near the top of the band (especially on things like high hats, horns and the like). Now, these dialogues have been outfitted with KT 120s, if that helps. I'm thinking it's the Marantz, as it sounded similar (in terms of harsh highs) on his McIntosh. It's also even on both channels, so it's not a funny tube (or, at least that's not very likely).

Is it possible that I'm just not used an amp with this much detail and it'll sound normal to me in a few weeks? There's for sure a lot more to love than I was getting with my Prologue 1 (also PrimaLuna), but I'm concerned about the high end of the spectrum. Do I just need a new pre?

Thanks in advance.

2. james

james Summon The Queen

Can you try the Marantz’s power section and see if the onboard amp sounds similarly brittle?

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm betting it's a Marantz issue. Using a vintage integrated as a preamp via the pre outs is a shortcut that has some sonic compromises. I'd say the Prima Luna is revealing the shortcomings of the Marantz.

So yes, you need a new pre.

4. Haggis_The_Barbarian

Haggis_The_Barbarian Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Awesome; thanks guys. I had actually thought that (although it's a bit of a pain...) I could temporarily hook up the Prologue again and use the Marantz as a pre to see if there are any issues. It's listenable, don't get me wrong. I just find that anything like snare drums, applause, high vocals, things of that nature, seem very "overdriven" for lack of a better word. Actually, switching to triode mode on the Prima calmed a lot of it down... but that wasn't the underlying issue.

Very nice monoblocs... can't wait to see what they can do when they're not crippled. Lot's of detail and nice extension on both ends of the spectrum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.