PrimaLuna Prologue 2 - first impressions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here’s a summary of first impressions of life with the PrimaLuna Prologue 2 integrated amp. 1 week in. First tube amp and replacing a Cambridge 840A v2. Bought it blind (an ex-demo) with the option of return if any doubts. It’s staying. Driving ProAc Studio 140 mk2 speakers.

- WOWSERS! Huh? What?! I was not prepared for how much more presence the music would suddenly have. I’d read the Prologue had a fairly forward projection, but it’s not merely ‘forward’ – it’s multi-dimensional with an incredible sense of notes and voices blooming and hanging around the room with liquid palpability. Resolution of and within each note and instrument. Vocals breathing down your neck. Flat recordings are still essentially flat, mind, but this is the general effect. Switching back to the Cambridge for reference (otherwise a very fine amp) and, yep, you’re back in a drier and more matter-of-fact world.

- Overall feel so much more connected to and affected by the music. It’s a more emotional experience*. It’s a very subjective thing and hard to define, but it’s there, and real, and you know the game has totally changed. I’d say it like not listening to music any more but inviting it in to your world and space.

- It almost seemed a touch over-emphasised in the upper-bass region at first, but I must have equalised to it and now as it just sounds right. More drive. I really like the balance across the frequency range – it digs deep, very deep, and sparkles brightly. It maybe hasn’t quite got the last bit of snap in the bass that the Cambridge has, but it feels more real and defined.

- Seems to pair well with the speakers and no problem driving them to good levels. Not got it past 9 o’clock on the dial yet. Every music genre covered, including spikey/boomy orchestral pieces. It’s the weight and presence of the music at low volumes that really impresses. You don't necessarily need the volume.

- 4 Ohm taps preferable to the 8 - more weight, dimension, definition. Vocals stood out more on the 8, but only in isolation from everything else lacking.

- Again, it’s an ex-demo – it’s vgc and I’m not sure how many hours it has under the belt or whether it will burn-in any more or change over time or not. We’ll see.

- So it’s fair to say I’m rather liking this amp. I realise it’s only the first step in to tube and/or higher-end amplification, and not necessarily a big one in relative terms; but most importantly it feels like a step in to a whole new world. Not wanting to sound dramatic about it but that really is how it feels.

*When my brother and girlfriend both, separately, first heard (familiar songs) on the Prologue they each got quite overwhelmed and actually filled up with tears! Honestly, they were that taken. Bear in mind they’re both solid guitarists and have great musical ears, and are very familiar with my hifi as it was. Whatever it is, you can’t put a price on that.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Thanks for the review and congratulations on the upgrade.

Shiver likes this.
  3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Congrats and luck!

Shiver likes this.
  4. Shiver

Thanks

5. Shiver

....Might also add there's no sense of a warm sonic signature coming from this. That's not what I wanted from a tube amp. It comes over as pretty transparent. Certainly not cool, but nothing overly romantic about it.

6. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Nice review, I’ve owned a Prima Luna Prologue 3 Tube Preamp for a while now and do enjoy it very much.
    There is no warm sonic signature as you mentioned, just a natural unforced sound.

While I don’t own any Proac Speakers, I’ve had a few opportunities to listen to them over the years and I was
    always very impressed. I would imagine your system sounds awesome..

Regards,
    Brooklyn

Shiver likes this.
  7. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Have A great time, with the Prologue ! Congrats.
    It was my first tube amp also, and got hooked on them....
    Now I own a Dialogue two ....so beware

SandAndGlass and Shiver like this.
  8. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Sounds like exactly how I felt when I got my line magnetic 216 (first tube amp for me as well, outside of guitar and bass amps). Tubes rule!

9. Shiver

Thanks Brooklyn. Natural and unforced seems a good way to put it. And yep, the ProAc sound certainly grabbed me from the outset; and thankfully they seem to pair well.

Cheers. And suitably warned! How would describe the main difference between this and the Dialogue? It seems to have the same valves from stock (??)

They appear to do so! I've read a few comments regarding improving (or at least changing) the Prologue sound with upgraded equivalent tubes or alternatives (including 6550). That's a much longer term consideration and will run with this for good while yet, but its interesting and encouraging to know.

10. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

The dialogue seems tot have the same valves, but I don't use them yet. ( wil try them later )
    The Kt88's now are Electro Harmonics the other ones are 1960,s Brimar and Phillips.

The sound..
    I found it somewhat broader, more subtile,delicate its not easy tot discribe sound.
    I love this amp wil keep it forever...

SandAndGlass and Shiver like this.
  11. Shiver

Good to hear

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A few years back, hearing all the tube "buzz" curiosity had finally gotten the best of me and I bought a used pair of Rogue monoblocks. I have had different versions of the same speakers for over forty years, plenty of slam, recreating a rock concert, no problem, but no finesse. I lit the tubes and my jaw absolutely dropped! After so many years, you know the sound of recorded music and when you hear it actually come alive in your living room for the first time, it is a life changing audio experience, WOW!

Peterr, Shiver and ThorensSme like this.
  13. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Hi Shivermetimbers,

could you please send me a pm? I am interested in this topic very much (ProAc with PrimaLuna)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.