Prince Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theanalogkidsignals, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I still remember my nine year old self listening to a copy of Purple Rain on cassette that my uncle gave me. When Nikki did her thing with a magazine the look of horror on my mom's face was priceless. RIP.

Al_D likes this.
  2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Sometimes it snows in April

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

A very dark day here in the Minneapolis area. He was just at Electric Fetus shopping on Saturday...geeze

4. Izozeles

I can´t feel a thing. I´m blocked. I don´t know how to keep with the rest of the week

bunglejerry likes this.
  5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"HitnRun Phase Two" is in my CD player. It's been since yesterday with the cover standing on top of it. It was the next release in this thread. Bowie.. and now Prince three months later. The flu?

6. Izozeles

Bros. I´m feeling so sad.

7. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I hope your father can find some solace in the knowledge that he is sharing his pain with many, many other people.

It blindsides me and breaks my heart as well. Prince meant an awful lot to me. I know he did to you as well.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I'll talk to him later about it. We'll jam out to Prince's music and have a few drinks. That's what we all need at a time like this. I feel your pain bro! It's unreal! He meant the world to me as well. :cry:

bunglejerry likes this.
  9. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I should mention that I found the Steve Hoffman forums in January of this year the day before Bowie's death. In the aftermath of his death, when I had no idea what to do with my brain, I found solace and comfort in this forum. I've been here in a daily basis since.

There is really only one musician whose death could have hit me harder than Bowie's, and that day has come scant months later. And again I find myself here not knowing where else to be.

And I thank you.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

ARGGGHHHHH!:realmad:

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can see where you're coming from, and I've mentioned not being a fan in a Prince thread. This doesn't come out of disrespect though, I consider Prince to be an incredible talent, one of rock and pop's (and so much more) finest ever musicians and a true original. I have total admiration for Prince. I just didn't want to claim to be a massive fan for whom Prince was a big part of my life, like he was for so many people. I'm not familiar with Prince music outside of the big hits, so I can't claim to be a fan, but I'm saddened by this news and can see myself getting very into Prince's music sometime in the future. He is, for certain, one of the greats and he will rightly be hugely missed. What a sad loss.

12stringbassist, Freek999 and JFS3 like this.
  12. Izozeles

May we live 2 C the dawn

bunglejerry likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, the timing of this thread getting to the end of the discography was spooky.

It's a horrible loss, and the guy was still cranking out great music, albeit with less regularity than in his glory days. I'm hoping that the scale and quality of his archive means that he'll continue to be relevant and vital for a long time to come.

Piiijiii, sunspot42 and Purple Jim like this.
  15. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

at this moment Dutch national radio 2 is playing "Leaving For New York".

16. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words "They're gone". They'll come back.

17. Izozeles

I´m shocked the way this thread is ending. Just after we finished the last album. I can´t think on a thread as epic as this one.

wolfram, Piiijiii, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  18. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Too late to get your Prince vinyl folks if you had those on hold on your list. They will become impossible to buy at regular prices now.

19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yesterday me and a friend I am visiting spent the evening talking Prince and watching clips, as a consequence of me going on a vinyl shopping spree that included plenty Prince. Today I was sitting in a café with another friend and beside me were two bags full of even more vinyl I had just bought, most of it was Prince and related, 7" and 12" records, which I was glad I had found. My friend was fiddling with her phone and then she said those words - "have you heard that..." - it felt like someone opened up a hole underneath me and I went into free fall... :(

Sorry for talking about me, but I have nothing else substantial to say, I just feel empty... :cry:

I am just a recent convert, so I really feel with all you lifelong fans I have met in this thread. It has been such a great journey and this is not how I had envisioned it would end... :shake:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  21. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I was going to finish this great thread with one last thing. Now that a lot of us have re-listened and reviewed all of Princes albums, I was going to suggest to make our definitive top album lists. We've touched that before, but it seemed like a good idea to do it again... I think we might just have to do that, because this is indeed not the way I would like to finish this thread.
    Let's pull ourselves together ( in a few days...) and celebrate Prince's legacy with a discussion about his best music! Maybe even imagine a definitve tracklist of the 'essential Prince' set.

22. Izozeles

As I shared earlier here, it was just this last weekend when I invited some friends for a full session of Prince vinyl. We talked about his recent health problems, but the issue was quickly dismissed as just a spring cold.
    I'll cherish that night forever.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

We shouldn't stop talking about the music, maybe now we need to get together and discuss and celebrate his legacy more then ever. But it will take some time for this to sink in, I am still nowhere near comprehending that this is real - it does not compute...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Purple Jim likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It feels like my heart has been hit by a freight train at full speed. :cry:

25. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

A sad day, but looking on the positive side, he has left us with a beautiful gift--a rich catalog of some of the greatest music ever recorded, some of which has yet to be explored and enjoyed. His legacy and influence will live on forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.