Prince Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theanalogkidsignals, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The Gold Experience is maybe a top-five album for me, so there you go, different strokes for different folks... I don't think most fans would say it's a "spot" in the catalogue, and I don't think most fans could agree what any of the possible spots are anyway. For example I think Musicology and Planet Earth are solid, if unexciting, albums, definitely not low points. Everyone has to make up their own mind. For me the point from where things start to get uneven is '96, Emancipation and onward.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep, The Gold Experience is a great album. True that it could have been even better with the initial version of Endorphinmachine or replace Shy and We March with Interactive and Acknowledge Me for example. But it's great and I'm not a big fan of what-if's. TGE is his best 90s album for me :)

And, yes, The Dawn fanmade triple album is a must for the 1993-1995 era fans.

Matthew Tate and smokeverbs like this.
  3. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Question: Is Prince - America 33 1/3 LP single rare due to the cover or anything (naked black baby with the American flag)? Found a copy in the wild today! Couldn't pass on that 20+ minute remix of America! But copies on eBay are sparse and going for a fortune. Though none have sold. ;) Am I missing something or is this just the "death craziness" continuing?

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Plenty of copies on Discogs for fairly normal prices - most of them are "over here" though.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I don't have any hard information, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's scarcer and more in demand than any of his other post-fame 1980s 12"s, for the following reasons:
    1) Unique mixes on both sides, never available anywhere else, with the added novelty value of the sheer twenty-plus minute length of 'America'. This presumably makes it more desirable than singles with only one non-album side or where the 12" single versions have been released on CD. In fact, it looks to me like this is the only Prince 12" of the 1980s where neither side has ever been released on CD.
    2) Not a big hit (number 46). Possibly the 12" that sold the least in this period, as the two singles that fared worse on the Hot 100 ('Anotherloverholenyohead' (No. 63) and 'If I Was Your Girlfriend' (No. 67)) did a lot better than it on the R&B charts (18 and 12 respectively, where 'America' only reached No. 35).
    3) Not released in as many territories, so globally there are fewer copies rattling around. Again, comparing with 'Anotherloverholenyohead' and 'If I Was Your Girlfriend', those two singles were released, and were hits, in the UK, whereas 'America' wasn't released there, as far as I know.
    4) It's really great and every Prince fan should own a copy!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    D.B., thekid87, Nathan Aaron and 2 others like this.
  6. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

You are correct that both versions are not available anywhere else, but a slight correction. "America" only had one mix that was ever released, to my knowledge. The LP and 7" versions (which are the same) are merely an early fade of the 21:40 mix (and yes, it runs exactly that long). The one anomaly of the early faded version, though, is that it inexplicably switches to mono just before the fade begins. My guess is that it's a mastering error, because it's not unique audio--just the left and right channels summed together. The 12" mix stays in stereo for the entire track. If memory serves me, "Girl" was also just faded early for the 7" release, while the 12" version continues on.

D.B. and Nathan Aaron like this.
  7. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

^ this :agree:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

if Prince would've released TGExperience in the spring of '94, on the heel of 'TMBGITWorld' single success, then i have no doubt it would've been a Big hit..at least on par with D&P.
    1993 was the 1st year Prince didn't release a studio album in 10 years (1983) and there clearly was a demand/market for him as evident by the success of 'Beautiful Girl' single.

instead, he released lackluster Come album (1st mediocre Prince album ever, i'd thought~) under his old name and further confuse the market by releasing then 7-year old Black album just few months later. it would take almost another year before TGE was finally released... which by that time was already dated & more importantly, both Prince & WB had long moved on from the project.

i believe in the earlier TGE configuration, both 'Days of Wild' & 'Acknowledge Me' were included which would've made the album stronger...i also think 'Lovesign' was wasted as novelty single when it should've replaced much inferior 'We March' (not much of fan of 'Now' either, should've been a B-side).

in any case, TGE is one of his most (if not the Best) focused set of material post-SOTT period. deliberately melodic & rock fused by design in order to re-capture the old 'PRain' fan base he gradually lost over the years. if you think about it, there's the motif of color (Purple = Gold) & the year (1884 = 1994) which i'm sure wasn't just a coincidence. personally, i would rank it No. 5 overall behind all the usual suspects.

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I didn't even know prince was alive in 1884

10. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I knew what I was doing when I called "The Gold Experience" boring :hide:

I like "I Hate You" and "Gold" and that's it.

Tracks like "Now", "Shy", "We March" are really fillers to me. And I really dislike "Dolphin".

Talking about 90's albums I prefer "Come" and "Chaos And Disorder".

BlueGangsta likes this.
  11. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

That's exactly my problem with it.

Prince generally released his worst/ least creative albums when he wasn't trying to challenge people.

Piiijiii and Purple Jim like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The tracks on TGE that I don't like are Dolphin, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, I Hate U
    The rest is ace.

13. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Somehow is suspect you wanted to state the opposite of what you typed… :confused:

14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Weirdly this is one 12" I don't own, and I have both Raspberry and Pop Life. I do have both tracks digitally. (The mythical T burned me discs full of vinyl transfers back in the day...)
    America just doesn't do much with those 21 minutes. It's more an endurance test. (Mountains, by contrast, does the same thing, but that extended jam is a totally different song and doesn't drag.) Pop Life, on the other hand, is a much better song stretched out with the extra verse.
    And Girl is fine, but not super memorable. (Wasn't it leftover from 1999?) Never quite understood why Prince would release that and Hello, but left Wonderful Ass or Xtraloveable (a much better 1999 outtake) in the vault.

15. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

What?

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This was a problem that started in 1993, with The Hits coming out instead of a new album, and which continued for a long time, albums came out about a year too late, when Prince had already lost interest and moved on to the next project (and even finished the "next" and started a third one). I disagree that Come is lackluster, and for me it goes along with The Gold Experience as a pair, the dark and the light, and that one also came out too late.

Well isn't it great with the diversity among Prince fans! :) You can love Prince and totally disagree on what albums are good (myself I like Come, The Gold Experience and Chaos And Disorder and don't want to loose any of them) and even when when you like the same albums you can disagree on what tracks are good (some of my favourite tracks on The Gold Experience are "Dolphin", "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" and "I Hate U"). :)

17. djej

djej Forum Resident

I bought my 12" of America last year in May at a record show for $20. It originally was marked for $30, but I came back at the end of the show and they knocked some $10 off. Also got the U Got The Look 12" for $5 at the same show. They had the Let's Go Crazy/Erotic City 12" for $25 or so, but I passed. I was unemployed at the time, so I was trying to be good.

At one of my local shops last year around the same time I got the 12"s for If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, and Mountains for $9 each. Later in the year I picked up the I Would Die 4 U 12" for $15 at a Half Price Books.

kanno1ae and Nathan Aaron like this.
  18. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Prince is the only artist I ever really "collected" on vinyl and only his 12" singles for the superb extended mixes. I'm so glad I bought most of them in the late-'90s and early '00s when they were both cheap and easy to find in NM- condition. The only ones that were rather expensive were "Let's Work," "Just As Long As We're Together/Soft And Wet" (promo), "Sexy Dancer" (UK), and "Gett Off" (10 min promo). The rest were all between $3 and $10 when I picked them up.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm not really bothered about the 12" remixed/extended versions. Unless there really is something going on, like a long hot guitar solo or something, it won't get played.

20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

A mistake concerning Prince 80's 12 inches!
    Some versions are even new recordings, some the original longer mixes that were edited down for album tracks/B-sides.

Must haves:
    I Wish U Heaven (Parts 1,2 & 3): Contains the excellent "Take this beat, I don't mind. I got plenty others and they so fine" ... Heaven Yeah!
    Pop Life (Extended Version): Extra verse - "What's the matter with your sex? Is 15 minutes your best?" ... priceless.
    Paisley Park (Remix): Psychedelic with great guitar work ... better than the original.
    Alphabet St. (This Is Not Music, This Is A Trip): pretty self explanatory.
    Let's Work (Dance Remix): with additional recording and Prince sampling clips of his own songs ... in 1981. And funky as hell btw.

superstar19 and Nathan Aaron like this.
  21. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- Mine was $5.99 so I guess I got a great deal! Perfect condition!

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah, I get all that but it's the length of the tracks which can bug me. Anyway, I'll check out your recommendations (it might inspire me to burn a mix CD, which is always fun).

Piiijiii likes this.
  23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

You won't believe how much goes on in those grooves. Expect Prince at his best.

Piiijiii and smokeverbs like this.
  24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

What's the best way of obtaining the two B-sides from Parade that were, for whatever reason, left off the Hits/B-Sides disc?

25. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The 12" single for "Kiss" is the best source for "Love Or Money." The UK Let It Go CD single has "Alexa De Paris."

smokeverbs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.