Prince Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theanalogkidsignals, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep, I saw that too. The Greatest Romance Ever Sold is the first really non-WB song. TMGITW on Vevo does have a WB logo.
    Strangely Pink Cashmere, Violet The Organ Grinder, TMBGITH and TGRES have a link to Spotify.
    So who knows what's next...

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Where is that? I can't see any logo in the description or on the page (nor in the actual video, which is from The Beautiful Experience, let's hope they upload all of that eventually). I don't think there is a Prince "Vevo" channel...?

The first two link to The Hits 1 and the "Gett Off" single respectively, where the songs are available (and have been from before). The other two just have a general link to a Topsify (which is Warner's playlisting brand) "Prince Greatest Hits" playlist.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be leaving again for good this time. I hope you enjoy the thread, continue it on healthy in my absence.

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Does anyone have the whole list of albums covered on this thread in one continuous set of text? I need to get caught up, and I need to first grasp what albums I don't have access to yet. Thanks for the help. :)

5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Why?? Just discovered this great thread!

6. Tom Schreck

Geez -- a great, thoughtful writeup, and I agree with SO MUCH of what you've written. Makes me want to plug in my external HD and dive back in this eve. :)

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't think anyone kept score that way and it would be too much work to try to do retrospectively, but you can take a look here to get an overview of the "subject": Discography - Prince Vault

The thread basically covered all Prince and NPG albums and (I would say) any "related artist" albums that had Prince involvement on more than just a few tracks, we also ended up trying to cover any Prince non-album releases (singles, downloads, streams, videos, TV shows, etc.) to the best of our abilities.

thekid87 and Tom Schreck like this.
  8. Tom Schreck

That's what I figured. I've heard all the conventionally-counted Prince albums, but the side projects and production work is something I need to delve more deeply in to. Saw some of that on this thread and thought someone might have made a master list. No problem, I will go back and dig through myself. :)

thekid87 likes this.
  9. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Right here: The Most Beautiful Girl in the World - PRINCE
    The logo is on the left.

I don’t know if you can call it a channel, but there are lots of Prince videos on vevo:
    PRINCE - Official Music Videos, Songs, and More - Vevo

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's a regional thing then, those links don't work for me, the first just takes me to the Vevo start page on YouTube and the other gives an error message. I am viewing Prince videos from this "user": Prince

This is the only video for "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" that I can access:

11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

@thekid87: I don't know why your post was removed, but I saw the screenshot and there is no such logo anywhere at the "Official Prince channel". There are links to the official website and to Facebook (promoting Purple Rain), and also to Apple and Spotify (direct links to Purple Rain), but it isn't really clear who the channel is run by, it isn't necessarily Warner.

I misunderstood the Vevo thing, I can't access that website at all, I get this page: http://comingsoon.vevo.com/
    I just thought it referred to the Vevo channel on YouTube, the direct link to the video actually takes me there: Vevo
    Is "The Greatest Romance Ever Sold" also on Vevo, with a WB logo?

There are some other curious videos uploaded, for example the live video of "The Question of U", which if I understand it correctly comes from a Japanese TV broadcast. Was that ever used as a video on it's own back in the day and/or was it released anywhere?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Strange.. my post just contained text and a Dropbox link for the picture.

Yeah, we have access to a vevo.com site with lots of videos including Prince. It’s all with WB logo on the left bottom. It’s pretty complete until TMBGITW, so no Greatest Romance.

Yep, The Question Of U is from the Tokyo 1990 broadcast and the official video later on (2000+ I think).

lordfalconer and warewolf95 like this.
  13. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Yeah, I've found it interesting, from a legal standpoint, the amount of clips posted on Prince's youtube page. As 99th said, we really don't know who's behind it, and it isn't necessarily WB.

I didn't know Tokyo '90 had been officially released, that's interesting. Was it through the old NPG club?

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

PrinceVault lists "The Question Of U" among the music videos with the year 1990, so I guess it was extracted and shown as a standalone video: Videos: Music Videos - Prince Vault

Comparing to that list the videos uplodaded up to that point it time seems pretty complete, after that there are some missing, which I guess is not surprising since there are simply so many from D&P and "Symbol".

Another video that is a live version is "Live 4 Love", I wonder if thekid87 is mixing them up because that was released through the NPG Music Club in 2001.

There is actually now a page on PrinceVault dedicated to the YouTube channel: YouTube Prince Channel - Prince Vault

Edit: It seems "The Question Of U" video is a bonus on the Graffitti Bridge DVD, I don't have that so missed that fact...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    warewolf95 and smokeverbs like this.
  15. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

All I know is that the vevo clips have a WB logo, so that’s most likely Warner behind it.
    That’s also what The Estate (Sharon I guess) said about the Youtube videos (not sure where I read that).

I do find it odd that PrinceVault doesn’t mention the vevo Prince videos, but does mention YouTube. I will ask PV...

The Question Of U is indeed from the Purple Rain dvd set.

Noop ;-)

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The uploads continued today with "Call My Name", so it's now all over the place and it seems anything is possible. However it is done, and whoever is behind this, it's great that his post-Warner material is finally becoming available in some way.

I don't use iTunes, so I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out on this new YouTube/Vevo page at PrinceVault, but most of these videos are available there too (and they also have the video for "Black Sweat"). So in that sense this subject fits into this thread, since these videos are in fact commercial releases.

(By the way, iTunes has several later era albums and singles as well, seemingly the material that was originally put up on Tidal, I guess this is common knowledge, but I had missed that. Has it been there all along?)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    warewolf95 likes this.
  18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yeah, some 12” for some time, like Kiss and SOTT. Not sure how long, but for some time. Strangly, there are also a couple of bootlegs, like Atlanta 85. They appeared after Prince’s death.

The videos are the same as on YouTube and Vevo, besides Black Sweat.

I read on the org that Sharon said that the estate is behind the video channels and that they asked WB to deliver the WB-years. So (if true), if we’re lucky we will see all of his videos :)

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have noticed that the non-Warner videos we have recieved are from albums that are blocked on Tidal. The albums that are blocked are Emancipation, RaveUn2 The Joy Fantastic, Musicology and 3121, which are also the ones that were released via major labels. I wonder if there is a connection?

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

Love Symbol is also missing from Tidal.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Not for me, it's there, but it's confusingly titled Prince & The New Power Generation, maybe that is why you can't find it? Here it is: {{metadata.ogTitle}}

Besides the main studio albums I listed above, the only ones missing (or blocked rather, since they are there in the system) are the three One Night Alone... entries ("Piano", Live! and Aftershow) and Crystal Ball (although The Truth is there since it is considered a separate album now).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    warewolf95 likes this.
  22. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Tried to get into Come this week. Never been a favorite of mine.

Well, it's still has (at best) 3 worthy cuts for me: Pheromone, Loose! and Letitgo.

But...MY GOD does Pheromone slam hard! I could easily be a top 5 90's Prince track.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    ando here, warewolf95 and jhm like this.
  23. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

After decades of following this genius, I realize now that it is it easy to get totally into moat of his albums mainly due to the sheer breadth. I myself often have built my own playlists all diff categories. For those getting into Prince...i almost feel like you find a knowledgeable fan(atic) and ask for songs to try depending on what part of this chameleon you want to hear.

Glad to help

smokeverbs and ando here like this.
  24. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

The Come album is a perfect example....great cuts mixed in with dirty stuff even this long timer cringed at whe I first heard.

Space is my favoritefrom this album, Dark a close 2nd.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Just like Frank Zappa, even if its not all top tier stuff, the sheer volume of his output lets you keep interest and keep listening because theres always something new to discover or suddenly gain appreciation for. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.