Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

STOP ATTACKING DAVID BOWIE!!!!

2. I think that fingers cymbals, xylophones, tamborines, and little easy things like that are counted in that total, too.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I understand that drummer Bobby Z, Susan Rogers, David Tickle, Chuck Zwicky, among many others, mixed some of his classic stuff.

You must be talking about his late 90s and onward days. His CDs were never squashed until around of the time of "The Gold Experience", and that's when most CDs were being squashed as a matter of routine.

sunspot42 and bru87tr like this.
  4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

You mean his real name is "Princ"????
    :)

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

On that first album, though?

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Didn't he basically just play guitar and keyboards, and drums to some degree? That's all you really need to make "one man band" recordings in pop music. As far as I know any other instruments on his records -- horns, woodwinds, strings -- were played by guests.

Grant likes this.
  7. Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

A lot to catch up on. I think with Whitney Houston and the fanfare or lack thereof was that she had declined so much that she was very far from her superstar days. Also despite revisionist history, she no doubt sold a ton but she wasn't quite on the level of Prince, etc. If and when she was on that par, it didn't seem to sustain.

I'm a big fan Farrah Fawcett but she was ill for sometime, it was widely known and the severity was documented. She was someways away from her heyday and she never could quite attain a level of success to match her '70s peak. She died the same day as Michael Jackson and Jackson's death was a complete surprise.

Grant and bluejeanbaby like this.
  9. Grant

That was me you were replying to, dude! I was the one who had the run-in with the kid who said that. I set him straight and he just walked off. The discussion he was having with his sibling was influenced by his reading the cover of the current National Enquirer rag. I'll bet the kid can't even name three songs Prince did. You (not you, specifically) say crap like that long enough, people believe it and it became a truth that is hard to beat back. That's why i don't even like that kind of talk. There shouldn't be a stigma about having HIV or being gay, or an IV drug user, but, in this country, there is. I don't know where you are from or live, but large portions of America, or an awful lot of people are very ignorant and judgemental.
    No, that's my posting style. I do that to address the specific parts of a post. Many people do this. I will admit that I may have furthered the discussion, but I posted about my encounter with the kid because he pissed me off. And, it didn't irritate me because I am a Prince fan, I would have gotten upset if it had been just about anyone.

Is it because i'm Black?:D I keed, I keed!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

@Culpa @TonyCzar @Oatsdad @ralphb
    You guys are making me laugh with your humorous posts. :biglaugh: And whoever else. It's an excellent way to lessen reading through various arguments and debates on this thread. :agree: :righton:

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Grant

I didn't even know she had passed. That's just how much news coverage she got!

I remember that I got one of those posters in the 70s. My mom wouldn't allow me to have it because it showed her nippies poking though.

12. Grant

I don't feel like digging the album out of a bunch of boxes to check.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think we're starting to forget what big news Whitney's death was - I don't think it was a "quick blurb and forgotten" situation at all.

Some of that was due to its tabloid appeal, admittedly...

zebop and bluejeanbaby like this.
  14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I'd say it's time then
    [​IMG]

ruben lopez, Dan Steely, dee and 3 others like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gotta admit: I never thought Farrah was all that hot! I just never cared for that look - it's not dissimilar to Pamela Anderson, another celebrity whose visual appeal largely escapes me.

Jaclyn Smith, however... :love:

16. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

@Oatsdad Ya, and Whitney's funeral was televised, like MJ's was...

Grant and Oatsdad like this.
  17. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

Probably a little of both. As it goes with superstition, it starts off small; but then these small beliefs and tricks can become compulsive rituals. Once John Lennon became aware of the significance of the number 9 in his life for example, he became a little obsessive with it: certain events had to be planned on the 9th, he'd hire staff based on all sorts of numerological constructions, et cetera. That's why the person who wrote "That's a stretch" somewhere above hasn't understood it, or else is stating the very obvious: it's nearly always a stretch. Stretching is the main action behind this.

Speaking of stretching, do you know that thing when pregnant women say that it seems like suddenly everyone around them is pregnant? It's because their mind is drawn towards that: pregnancy. So they see it everywhere. Now similarly, when you get the thought into your head that a certain letter or number is significant to you, you'll see it everywhere. Right? I could now randomly say the letter "M" is meaningful to you--and you can bet you'll be able to connect that letter to tons of experiences, people, events, addresses, et cetera, in your life. Or the number "27". You could start to believe there's a secret system behind everything, and that the letter "M" is of great importance to you when it concerns your part in that system.

People who lead isolated--lonely--lives are especially susceptible to stuff like this, for obvious reasons.

As for me, I have an eye for such wacky numerological weirdness because I have a playful spirit and a sense of the absurd, but I attach zero importance to it. The reason I mentioned it in this thread, regarding Prince, is that I suspect he was super-superstitious. That's probably why he didn't draw up a will too: that would have been like inviting death. Just my guess, though.

bluejeanbaby and Grant like this.
  18. Grant

Same goes for anything, like sexism, racism, ageism...once you are affected by it, you tend to notice it everywhere. But, the thing with pregnant women: there are indeed waves of women who are pregnant and a given time. See, I like near a military base (installation for you anal types), and you can tell when a lot of people probably conceived, like just before a bunch of soldiers are deployed to places like Afghanistan or Iraq.

19. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

"But, yours is the kind of comment that entertains the idea that he was gay in the minds of some people."

Buddy, you said this about me. I take umbrage at this. I reject it. Whatever premise you're trying to come from, it's flawed. You brought the topic up, re: the tabloid misinformation.

I don't care what ethnicity or race you claim to be. It's irrelevant. (trying to start trouble again, Jim?). Guess my race and ethnicity, if you will.

And again - you're chopping up a post and responding out of context. Try quoting the whole post and using the bold feature.

Peace, love & hairspray, homestyle.

EDIT: by the by - take a wild guess as to where I'm from and where I live. I'll give you 17 guesses...

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  20. Grant

You totally overreacted to my post and took it personally. I also did not say it about you. Calm down, count to 10, are re-read what I wrote. It's not about you.

And, don't tell me how to post. I'll use the multi-quote feature if I like.

BTW, do you know what this :wave: means?

21. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

You're right, Grant, I have overreacted and/or misunderstood. And I apologize to you. My bad. Carry on, man...

TeddyB likes this.
  22. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

According to Billboard, Purple Rain and When Doves Cry will be #4 and #8 on the hot 100 for the week ending May 14 (the May 7th issue only got one day of post-death sales). This is the first time someone recharted top 10 in death since Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You.

So again I'd love to hear from Britney Spears fanatics how "Prince has no timeless classics"? lol

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Told ya you might want to hit and run. :winkgrin:

24. Grant

He can't take the heat.

25. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

LOL what