Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I like the longer "Prettyman", prefer "Beautiful Strange" and most of the remixes. Most importantly, though, no Sheryl Crow cover to skip!

Or website ad.

Freek999 likes this.
  2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It's too bad he didn't have a George Martin to his Lennon/McCartney.
    Just looking at the mid-80s he really was the best of everything that came before the same way the Beatles were in the mid-60s.
    Starting with Batman he needed someone to help sort out his various ideas-----or even simply to help in choosing the best material----the way the director of the Purple Rain film claims to have done with that soundtrack.

enro99 likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sounds like a great disc, thanks for the extra detail! If you TV is smaller than, say, 50", (in general) you won't notice any difference between 720 P and 1080P. The greater resolution comes in handy when you blow the picture up on larger screens.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Did I say it was minty mint? :)

Different enough to be essential - a handful of smoother mixes included on the 2nd version (I prefer the original title track but otherwise I prefer the remixes overall - more of a Kirk Johnson production vibe) as well as extended songs.

I was late to this (these) albums - had them for years but only started listening in the last couple of years.

I find that I like any Prince material once I've had time to take it in - for example, "Come" didn't grab me on first listen but years later I was ready to really listen to it and it's incredible. Even "Kamasutra" has me nowadays - especially the Clare Fischer parts.

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I also prefer the longer versions, but the difference isn't that much and it's not like he is breaking new grounds with those. The Sun (etc) is extended by a only few seconds. Prettyman extended is nice, though.
    But fine by me if you like In2 more, I just wanted to give a second opinion about these two (similar) albums.

6. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep, that's always an option.

7. It's a great album. As simple as that. Honestly I prefer Kamasutra over any of his other instrumental albums, and that's saying a lot, because I've always loved the Madhouse albums and Xpectation.

There's just something about the fluidity of Kamasutra that really rings my bells.

Mal likes this.
  8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I know that I am one of the few who adores Strange But True.
    To me it's a hidden treasure, so if everybody agrees with me on liking that song, it's no longer hidden... :laugh:

I find the In2 version of Beautiful Strange a bit boring, actually. I've seen him perform the song live and it blows the studio version away. So my goto version is a live version and I tend to skip the studio version because of that. :cheers:

Freek999 likes this.
  9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I seem to remember that "Strange But True" had a few champions back in the "album by album" thread, and that I felt more like the odd one out for not liking it (or not "getting" it maybe).

I mostly meant "Beautiful Strange" as a song, for example I think I prefer the earlier video version to the album one. I'll have to chek out some live takes of it. :thumbsup:

thekid87 likes this.
  10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

n e w s gets that prize for me:

[​IMG]

11. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I like me some Kamasutra, though only on occasion.

For some reason, while I've given all four Madhouse albums plenty of time (and quite liked three of them), I haven't spent much time with NEWS, Xpectation or C-NOTE. Or the Flesh, for that matter. So much music, so little time...

12. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep, this isn't awful at all. I played "My Name is Prince" a lot when I first got this album. I didn't like "7" that much and I didn't get a chance to listen thoroughly because that Hits set was released close to what I bought The Love Symbol.

I listened to it a couple of days ago and The Love Symbol is fun. "The Continental" is great, well the last half. I like "Damn U" a lot too. This was a good listen, I forgot how much fun Prince could be.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Finally, someone else around here agrees with me.

zebop and jhm like this.
  14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Ha - I got this for £5 just today- it's a staple of the second hand sections in UK record stores.

I enjoy the music on this - Kim Bassinger certainly sounded like she was!

Mal likes this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This has been posted twice.

17. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

^
    i like it, i might post it again.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  18. Rocketdog and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

And Spoon isn't jumping on no bandwagon here: they covered 'Partyup' on the b-side of their first single back in 1996.

20. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

East is awesome!!

Mal likes this.
  21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

EVOLVIST likes this.
  23. I put "Song of the Heart" as an extra on my 3121 disc for my car, because...well, there's no other place to put it and I want to enjoy the jam. :)

Edit: 3121, along with "United States of Division" and "S.S.T."

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Mal likes this.
  24. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Rocketdog, eileen, dee and 6 others like this.
  25. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

One of my favourite outtakes.

Rocketdog, eileen, enro99 and 2 others like this.