Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ^^^ And I'll raise you:

:)

enro99 and Cloudbuster like this.
  2. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Yeah, love this one, too.

3. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

That is really nice. More stripped down Prince that could easily have been a hit.

Cloudbuster likes this.
  4. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

finally someone else loving "I Wonder". the melody, the simplicity, the stunning vocals. perfection.

on the boot "Blast From The Past 3.0" is a better sounding version (lower generation tape)

enro99 and Cloudbuster like this.
  5. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

"I wonder if she knows how much I extra absolutely, so complete and sweetly love her..."

this doesn't leave your brain. 1991 isn't exactly my favorite year, but knowing this stayed in the Vault while "Jughead" got released... :)

eileen and Cloudbuster like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I should give the "BLBC" soundtrack a full listen. Since I really did buy it solely for the Prince song, I'm surprised I ever got to know the Ferry tune!

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The live 1984/85 version of "Purple Rain" is the best thing the man ever did, IMO!

wolfram likes this.
  12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Prince MPLSound
    Release Date 7-8-2016

2016 repress. Originally released in 2009. On MPLSound, Prince took his retro mission to offer up such tight, funky electro grooves as "(There'll Never B) Another Like Me" and "Ol' Skool Company." Part of what was originally released as a triple album was also released as a double LP with Lotusflow3r. "Prince played every instrument on MPLSound just like the old days, only now he gets obsessive with Pro Tools. He isn't as bawdy as he once was (becoming a Jehovah's Witness will do that), but he's still got a lot of humor and swagger. On the funky '(There'll Never B) Another Like Me,' he sings about his beauty routine (it involves olive oil in his hair), and on the seven-and-a-half-minute 'Ol' Skool Company,' he covers issues from the TARP bailout to the state of radio ('If the White House is black/We gotta take the radio back')." - Gavin Edwards (Rolling Stone, 2009)

PRINCE : MPLSound ♺ ➡

''

13. Weird! Is this a grey market release?

By the way, that is one funking funked up album. Every song is a winner.

dee likes this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The original Lotusflow3r releases were licensed to Because Music by NPG Records - perhaps they have the rights to re-issue them?

Their French site seems to have the Lotusflow3r LP in stock:

http://www.because.tv/shop/Prince/lotus-flow3r-ltd-simple-70294

Amazon UK has the albums listed for re-issue by Because Music on July 8th.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  15. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

This too: PRINCE : Lotus Flow3r - 2LP/2CD - BECAUSE MUSIC - Forced Exposure »

"This is a deluxe gatefold release composed of two slabs of vinyl (Lotusflow3r and MPLSound also included on CDs) as well as a poster."

Because Music is a French label that has something to do with Daft Punk iirc.

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That's interesting. I saw this on OWN a few weeks ago. Looking at these clips, it's like Prince could seem like a few different people...

enro99 and Mal like this.
  17. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

He was his own George Martin. He had just as many classic albums by himself as the Beatles. His exmanager said when Prince was 18 and readying his debut album, he was approached by WB execs that wanted to have Maurice White or Norman Whitfield produce his album. This was in 1978 during the height of EWF and when Whitfield was on his second big run with Rose Royce. Prince turned them down flat because he didnt want to dilute his vision. Prince was self taught, played all of his own instruments, wrote all of his own lyrics and mapped out the sound and look of his stage shows and videos. He stumbled in the 90s, but his prime is as good of a run as anyone in pop music history and he did it on his own terms from day one.

No Lennon to his McCartney, no George Martin, just Prince.

His stubbornness, prodigious output, and petulance is all apart of his aura. I dont think he would have changed a thing in retrospect.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Also, there's the strange backdrop to it all - a seriously difficult time for the new parents.

TonyCzar likes this.
  19. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

He definitely seemed to adore her . It seems she brought out something different in him...too bad that relationship was doomed .

zebop likes this.
  20. Great post! Also, I might add, after all my years of listening to and studying Prince, never once did I realize that he NEVER mixed his own stuff until @Mal pointed it out.

Sure, I knew some people mixed some albums, but I thought Prince did all of them himself until the '90s.

I guess I'm not quite the student that I thought I was. Heh. And I guess Prince didn't do it all...which I still find strange.

StevelandJudkins likes this.
  21. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Seriously strange ...their son had already passed and they were acting as if all was good.
    Prince even went as far as to tell everyone to ignore what you hear ...it's all good ...
    Wtf ?

IMO you don't say that being with someone makes it easier to talk to God unless there is a very deep.spiritual and emotional bond there .

22. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

He pretty much mixed "For you" he basically learned on the fly from Bob Vicari and then promptly fired them and then mixed them the way he wanted to. And i could be wrong but i was under the impression that he mixed the next 4-5 albums with minimal assistance under the pseudonym "Jamie Starr"

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  23. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Very, very difficult time. Knowing what happened makes it odd to watch but compelling nonetheless.

Totally agree, I didn't get it then but I really saw it watching it again, maybe because I'm older now.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I don't know about "never" but he mostly had others assisting the technical side, including mixing. I'm sure he was 'co-mixer' at the very least for plenty of it.

I was lucky enough to meet Ken Scott a few years ago and was blown away when he explained that David Bowie would come in and record the tracks and then leave the rest to Ken. Hunky Dory, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars, Aladdin Sane - what we hear are largely Ken Scott's idea of how the tracks should sound and be assembled as albums, not David's.

25. Well, I'm at a loss because I ripped all of my Prince CDs to Flac a couple of years ago and they're all in storage at my mom's about 600 miles away. Ha.

I guess the liner notes can be found on the interwebs somewhere out there. As the British are wont to say, I just can't be arsed at the moment to look. :D

Mal likes this.