Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and enro99 like this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

just because it cannot be watched enough:

3. George P

George P Notable Member

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

5. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

7. A year later & I'm still in disbelief...damn

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I watched The Story Of Prince documentary the other night (Channel 5 - UK). I was fearing the worst but it's not bad at all, thanks to crucial input from Alan Leeds, Owen Husney and Chris Moon. It explains a lot and is quite moving.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Man, I'd love to see that! :sigh:

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

A year already :sigh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

JuhaS likes this.
  14. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for that link. I never understood while after all these years, Prince was hurting Morris Day, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and other Time Members, by not allowing them to use the Time Name on their 2011 'Condensate' album. I would be pretty bitter about that denial, but Morris seems to not have been too upset over it in the end. Might have cost them some sales on that album, by using a different name(it took me luckily stumbling across an article to read about the new Time album being under a different name, or I would have missed it-at least when it was released. It was too bad that Jesse Johnson bailed on the Tour off of that album, as his guitar was a vital part of The Time).

I had lost interest in Prince as a person when he became a Jehovah's Witness Religious Nut(although kept buying his albums that got released on CDs, although only '3121' stood out as great to me in post 2000 releases, but some good songs on his other albums), but he seemed to not be so far out there in his final years, and was glad that he made some music with social cause like the song 'Baltimore' on his final album.

I just wish he would have had a Will, where he would have designated 1-3 people to go through his Unreleased Vault Music to determine which songs would be of value to release in future years. I would have given that opportunity to Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis & Morris Day, as I think they would be the best people to go through all of the Vault Music. Maybe, also Andre Cymone, but not sure if Prince still was on good terms with him. Maybe, whoever obtains legal rights to the Vault Music will do the right thing and ask these people(if they are willing to spend their Time-no pun intended) to be the ones to determine which Vault Songs should be released.

Looking forward to the new album by Morris Day and hope it includes the rest of The Time on at least some of the songs, if not the entire album.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Not 'my boy' - I was quoting what Prince calls him in "Sex In The Summer", although I do love everything from this period with his stamp on.

Credits for my man Kirk from emancipation, separate and with higher billing than the general credits (where he also appears, twice - three times if you count 'K.A.J. Productions'):

kirk a. johnson
    (Mr. KA'J)
    associate producer,
    arranger, drumz,
    additional synth
    programming and
    best man

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    EVOLVIST and YMC4 like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

A newly recorded tribute to Prince by Susanna Hoffs (the Bangles) with proceeds to charity

artsiistra and YMC4 like this.
  20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

21. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

22. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Great interviews!

“Prince died because of keeping up his façade,” Coleman continues. “Nobody can live that way all the time. We can’t hold people to these extreme standards. Age happens and that doesn’t only mean the deterioration of your body, it also means the enhancement of your mind and your experience. You have so much more to give.

Prince’s youth was spectacular, but imagine him as an old man and what he’d be able to impart. We lost that. Everybody who is ‘superhuman’ needs let people know, ‘Hey, I’m a person, I’m getting older, I get tired.' Say whatever they need to, because not doing so killed my friend.”​

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member