Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

*cough* a lot of it has leaked *cough*

CBackley likes this.
  2. Only a fraction.

3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, but enough to fill 34 discs (the "Work It" series) plus 24 discs of additions and upgrades (the "Blast From The Past" series) - that's a start, right?

CBackley likes this.
  4. Listening to the Sign 'O' the Times album and there's that strange feeling of enjoyment that's sometimes taken over by the knowledge that all of that musicality and humor isn't here anymore.

Prince was as close to genius as a popular songwriter can be.

Still missed.

Catcher10, CBackley, Yost and 4 others like this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Great interview with Susan Rogers: https://blog.thecurrent.org/2018/04...ce-in-the-studio-the-man-i-knew-was-so-human/

A sample:

Admittedly the sound of Around The World In A Day is not as high fidelity as the sound of the Purple Rain album, because the majority of the Purple Rain album was done at Sunset Sound, which is some of the finest audio technology in the world. In contrast, most of Around The World In A Day was done at the warehouse using lower quality, to say the least, because we were working at a rehearsal space. We didn’t even have acoustical isolation. His ideas were bubbling up so fast — you can imagine a volcano just overflowing, and we were setting pots and pans underneath the lava flow just trying to catch it. That’s how quickly he was working. So high fidelity, no. That record would not win any prizes for the best engineered recordings, but what he taught me is that when people buy a record, they’re not buying the sonic quality. That’s not what they go into a record store for. You go into a record store for music. You turn that radio dial for music, not for sound. If the musical ideas are good, that takes precedence over the sonic quality.

Yost, ConnieGuitar, krock2009 and 7 others like this.
  6. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Amen to that, but that opinion won't sit well round these parts. :hide:

pudgym, krock2009 and bob60 like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I wonder how much of the "vault" are actual unheard songs rather than different version etc. most musicians find a way to use melodies they like and rework them into something. I just hope this isn't a Hendrix situation where they keep scraping barrel till its grim. if it was me (especially with the music biz as it is ) id compile 10 cd/vinyl box sets in chronological order - the vault vol 1-10 of everything, and release en masse, limited edition so its not a case of diminishing returns
    but im a very bad business man

my favorite prince album, there is something raw and fresh and "unslick" about it

bob60 and bataclan2002 like this.
  8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Just among what's been leaked over the years, there are a LOT of complete, officially unreleased songs, and also a huge number of songs Prince wrote, performed and produced for other artists - fully-fledged Prince songs with a different vocalist, basically. It's almost certain that a Prince vocal exists for the majority of those tracks (as we've seen with the mis-press of Mica Paris's 'If I Love U 2Nite' and the recent release of 'Nothing Compares 2 U'). There are way more than twenty albums' worth of that officially-released-but-without-a-Prince-vocal material that could easily be repurposed into Prince releases.

And then you get to the unreleased versions and mixes of 'proper' Prince material. The wealth of music potentially available is insane. Hendrix's archive (which, let's not forget, accumulated over only a few years, not a few decades of near-daily recording) isn't even in the same ballpark.

Jayseph, jhm, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  9. Good. And might I add that like "Nothing Compares 2 U" how many of those tracks with Prince vocals can get a wholly unique mix by using elements on the multitracks that aren't on the official Prince protégé releases? Probably a lot! - as we know that Prince seldom erased anything. That's why Prince's posthumous version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" came out so well, because scrapped ideas on the multis made it possible for a "Prince version," as Prince picked and chose from these bits and pieces he originally recorded.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

My only interest in the archive is if it contains any studio recordings with Miles Davis. Prince claimed they recorded together, but no no else seems to think they did, including Eric Leeds.

11. There's a lot of fairy tales mixed in with those stories, too. For every story like this, there's 5 or 6 other stories of Prince just walking in a chilling with people, cracking jokes with strangers, meeting people on the street, and grocery shopping like a regular joe.

I'm sure that yes, Prince liked the mystique, even if it most of it wasn't true, because he got a kick out of it. I'm just saying, don't believe a lot of it. You'll have the same person telling different stories about Prince on the same day. Prince fueled the fire a little bit. It's all in the game. Very little of it is real.

Except for basketball. Yes, Charlie Murphey was telling the truth.

"Game. Blouses."

JasonA and sunspot42 like this.
  12. Summer of Malcontent

I think that claim has been debunked for a while now: there were definite plans for the two to record together, but Davis died before it could be organized.

There is, however, 'Sticky Wicked' from Chaka Khan's 1988 album C.K., a Prince song from top to bottom that Miles Davis added delicious horn overdubs to.

DTK likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't like his sparse early stuff. I prefer to hear him stretching out and totally indulging himself. A fantastic writer, arranger, bandleader, dancer, drummer, bassist, pianist/keyboard player, singer, guitarist,...

14. Summer of Malcontent

Didn't he go to Electric Fetus, his local record store, on Record Store Day, a few days before his death, to pick up a copy of a Stevie Wonder album (was it Innervisions?) and a few other things?

JasonA and bataclan2002 like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true! I guess I meant by the Hendrix comparison I meant how theyre still doling out a rarity here and there on ph releases nearly 50 year later when many Hendrix fans are no longer with us...

16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I was spinning Purple Rain the other night.........flipped to Side 2 and had to stop it before PR came on, a feeling of sadness came over me as the stylus came to that point.

Still very sad....

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Yeah, he did. I can't remember if it was before or after the Atlanta gig.

18. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Was the Atlanta gig filmed or recorded? I had the sad idea of sneaking into the pictures the Minneapolis police leaked recently and it was such a bad idea.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  19. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

People who attended the Paisley Park event Saturday, after the Atl concert and the week before he died, heard previews of the show and were told it was being mixed for a live album.

Izozeles likes this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Big yes to this.

HotelYorba101 and bataclan2002 like this.
  21. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Genius has it's idiosyncrasies.

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I just listen to Elephants & Flowers for quite a while. What a great Lovesexy song

23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Seems someone is looking for attention themselves .

You have had your 5 seconds of fame, now back to some other thread where you can hate all you like.

Prince is the best musical artist born after 1957 and has and will go down as a musical legend.

ToneLa and sunspot42 like this.
  24. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

He was a good dude, popped into a store I was working at in 1988 or so , just talked music (other people's ) with us for about 30 minutes or so , bought a few things ( BDP cd , is the one thing i remember ) ....MJ came in the same store a bunch of times , always, in disguise , by the 3rd time we kind of put together that it was him, and he was cool about it ( He was good friends with a family that lived really close to the store ) ...came in a couple times after we knew it was him , but he still was in disguise (he just said it allowed him to avoid the media people , that wouldn't have left him alone , if they knew he was in our city ) ....he was a cool guy , too , not at all what you would expect , bought every genre of music you could imagine...

Unknown Delight, 905 and Turntable like this.
  25. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

You mean Graffiti Bridge, right? Or, are you referring to it being written around the Lovesexy sessions?

George P and daveidmarx like this.