Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Brandon Benwell

Brandon Benwell Ready An' Willin'

Even *if* most of the studio audio has been leaked (a ton has but nowhere close to all). The real good stuff is on the film tapes and digital files of all the rehearsals and concerts! Now, I really can't wait for the visuals to be released.

2. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

There is also the fact that after 1996/Emancipation virtually nothing has leaked. That's nearly twenty years of potential vault recordings.

Only those going through the vault know how many fully completed songs are in there but to me it seems plausible that for every song he released there is (at least) one song that he did not release.

3. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Elephants and Flowers was done way after Lovesexy?

bataclan2002 likes this.
  4. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I LOVE the sound of his voice in that song. It has a bit of raspiness to it that he very rarely used. Off the top of my head the only other song that has that vocal sound is a brief bit of "Glam Slam."

bataclan2002 likes this.
  5. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Yeah there’s an early version of Elephants from 1988 stripped down different lyrics.
    It was revisited for Graffiti Bridge in 1990. But yes it fits in with Lovesexy era material too.

TonyCzar likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Yes, it was released for GF, but written earlier, so it captures the vibe of the Lovesexy era. It’s fantastic

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Fantastic indeed. Always one of my favorites from Graffiti Bridge. An infectious beat and a wonderfully uplifting chorus.

Jayseph, bataclan2002 and Izozeles like this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

By the way if anyone is looking for a really awesome book, I am reading "Prince and the Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions" by Duane Tudahl and it is really good! He got things such as the WB work logs for that time and the entire book is basically built around telling the story of the change from 1999 to Purple Rain using the work logs as a template.

It is a really cool format because this isn't just your typical gossip book about Prince's sex life, this goes deep into so many great songs and even stories behind the released music and B-sides, plus tons of the famous unreleased songs from around that time. As a musician, this is the type of Prince book I have been waiting for!

9. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I read somewhere that he was suffering from a cold that day.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a great song off Graffiti Bridge which I bought when it came out and was disappointed with it, apart from a few stunners (Question Of You, Joy In Repetition, Theives In The Temple,...) . I picked it up decades later on CD for small change and found that it works better in that format. A nice big slab of fonk.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I like Graffiti Bridge's high points - the songs you mentioned especially - as much as anything Prince had done around that time. But to me there seemed to be so much filler, or at least non-standout tracks, that it is hard for me to listen to all the way through without wanting to skip them so I can get to the standout tracks faster lol

Porkpie likes this.
  12. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Yes... That version was done several months after the release of Lovesexy.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

14. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

fatwad666 likes this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    EVOLVIST, fatwad666 and Groovy like this.
  17. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

"Using the 1983 tape as a starting point, Tyka Nelson says the estate is hoping to unveil a new collection of unreleased music every year, in chronological order, although she says fans shouldn’t rule out hearing pre-1983 recordings at some point. (According to one source, Prince’s fabled August 1983 performance with the Revolution at Minneapolis’ First Avenue, some of which formed the basis of the Purple Rain album, is another possible candidate for release.) “He had so much, and he wanted his music to be heard,” Tyka says. “Everyone is going to hear this music. Even if it’s not up to maybe par. Why else would he keep all this stuff? He wanted it out. If it was up to me, we’d see something every year for the next hundred or thousand years.”

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I want some Rude Boy era concert films in complete form and better quality than what's been bootlegged.

19. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I feel like if they had the vault, we wouldn't be getting recycled bootlegs first. We'd be getting WOWed with something no one has heard.

agundy likes this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It is a huge undertaking, you know that just by reading the article.
    This first release is very much low hanging fruit....

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Depends on who you refer to with "they", Piano & A Microphone 1983 is a Warner release, probably because of some deal already in place and a contractual obligation thing, but Sony will now be handling future releases, so it is "they" that "have the vault" so to speak. About "recycled bootlegs", the article says "The existence of the nine-song, 35-minute tape was a surprise even to some who collaborated with Prince during that period. “What a find – it’s incredible,” says engineer Susan Rogers", so obviously they have no clue about what has been out on bootleg and it also shows that Susan Rogers is not always an ideal advisor, she just knows what went on in the studio on sessions she worked on, they really should bring in some super-fans to get the big picture.

But the fact that they've actually been through it all, transferred it to digital and catalogued it (in some fashion, even if they don't fully understand what everything actually is) was more than I had thought.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  22. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

To be practical they're not going to hold back something because a thousand people have a copy of music they can sell to the tens of thousands of people who have never heard it. Springsteen just released an official version of a 1978 show that has been heavily bootlegged since the moment it aired on the radio 40 years ago.

fatwad666 likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

My point was they didn't actually know anyone had this from before (or else it woudn't have been a "surprise"), and they don't seem to have a clue about what most of the music in the vault is and they need advise.

KariK likes this.
  24. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Yeah, but unless the original tape is better than what's been circulating for 20 years, this is going to turn off a lot of people (non-superfans) who'll expect it to be an album with perfect sound quality. Turning off future sales is not a good move at this point. You want to wow people right now. You want them to be believing the hype of the vault. Hearing what's been said (again to a non-superfan) about the vault, there are expectations. This will not live up to those expectations. This is not album quality sound and a lot of the "songs" are partial run-thoughs, not complete.

25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I wish they would release a live show from the Third Eye tour. I have a boot from London that has horrible sound but the show is just so f in good. He really simplified and rocked it. Just an awesome show. This will not happen. But, i can wish. Prince people just dig Purple Rain and 80s era stuff. I feel like it was a progression. And in that tour the simplified sound just got me. Love it.

lordfalconer and Isaiah Tolbert like this.