Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I say it isn't much of a surprise. Rogers and others on the scene were certainly privy to the fact that Prince recorded EVERYTHING. A 30-minute recording of him playing piano has to be numbered in the dozens (there are 8000 cassettes they pulled it from, so how much of them was Prince putting his boom box on the piano and just exploring ideas?).

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Some more from Susan Roger in this: There are good things in Prince's musical vault, says former engineer who has heard songs

I think it may be that this is a contractual obligation album and all they wanted to give Warner.

I don't think that's true, the more dedicated Prince fans are interested in all of it, even if they have a favourite era, it's the more casual fans that just care about the 80s. Also if referring to what you see on this forum you'd have to consider the average age of the members here.

3. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

So many random shows floating out there thousands of performances. So many memories of aftershows I been to that only exist by mind

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

jhm likes this.
  6. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

He was influenced by the drugs he was taking. He had a pretty bad Ecstasy habit around the time, which caused him to shelve it.

7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

**** *** *******s ****s *******s bleep bleep bleep

Dflow likes this.
  8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

... a tribute is a tribute...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

That's arguable and not the general story. Although the lyrics to Superfunky do suggest a knowledge of a proper ecstasy high.

10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Silly men. Everyone knows there isn't supposed to be any bass in When Doves Cry.

11. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

12. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

That was hard to watch

13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

does that guy "sing" like that all the time?
    (never heard of Rob & Kirk)

Rollie likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Funniest part is that the song was originally recorded without bass.

15. I like Metallica. It's a shame, though, that this is what they've resorted to in a live show.

Their hearts are in the right place, but their notes are not.

lordfalconer, SoundDoctor and Rollie like this.
  16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

They are playing to a Minneapolis crowd. I bet they loved it. Definitely doesn't translate well thought!

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

That's literally one of the worst things I've ever heard. I got about a minute and a half through it. It's like kids who've never heard music before trying to play something. I won't bother with the "singing" because Rob didn't. What were they thinking? I can't imagine anyone even tolerating that much less liking it.

Ed

redsock, SoundDoctor and Rollie like this.
  18. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Rob and Kirk are the bass and guitar player in Metallica. Rob doesn't sing in Metallica...nor should he ever attempt it.

Ed

19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

okay thanks, I got looped with the "Rob & Kirk" title or did I get looped before I logged on?

20. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I watched the video to the end. Left me thinking how very cool it was that Prince was being celebrated by a band you would not think would ever play one of his songs. Also a fan base you wouldn’t necessarily think would know the words or care to sing along to the song. From being almost booed off stage at a Rolling Stones concert way back when to being embraced by a heavy/thrash metal band and their fans speaks volumes. Prince did cover all our worlds purple with his many talents and style. I don’t ever need to watch the video again but I liked it. Certainly would have been better with James on vocals. Still, small things like this only help in keeping his legacy alive in my mind.

Jayseph and Runicen like this.
  21. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

While you're right, St Paul & The MPLS All Stars do a great version with bass.

"The bass is on the multi-track tape, but it was muted in the final mix," Prince's longtime recording engineer Susan Rogers explained to TapeOp.

Nostaljack likes this.
  22. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I love how Prince actually "composed" at the mixing desk. "1999" is another good example. If you don't know, the verses were designed to be in four-part harmony, but he decided to fade out three of the vocalists leaving a different vocalist for each of the four lines of the verse. So the melodic differences were actually different harmonic elements.

Also: "Forever in My Life". The "background vocals" precede the main vocal line throughout merely because of a syncing error. But Prince liked the effect and kept it.

Just like "When Doves Cry", "Kiss" also originally had a bassline that Prince mixed out. But of course that was Maserati's bassline (and god is it wooden), so it's not quite the same.

Warner's officially published sheet music for "When Doves Cry" does have a bassline, though it's nothing more than the tonic note of each chord held as a whole note (iirc).

23. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Wow, those vocals are brutal. ... Actually, that's kind of what I fear I sound like when I'm howling away in the car. Yikes.

lordfalconer and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

What idiot thought of that? Sounds like random noise to me, and it sorely needs autotune.

25. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

It looks like the last bunch of his WB vinyl reissues that were stalled at the last moment (Lovesexy, D&P, Come, etc.) have been resolicited. Anyone have any official release dates? Elusive Disc has them only as “release date to come”...

andycherry likes this.