Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  2. snipe likes this.
  3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Where's The Versace Experience? :shake:

Jayseph likes this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Do I play the original Purple Rain vinyl album, or the Kevin Gray remaster.....? Decisions, decisions.....

7. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Side 1 play the og, side 2 play the remaster

Dhreview16 likes this.
  8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Target is a Minnesotan company that has its HQ in Minneapolis. The heir to the Target fortune is actually the Governor of Minnesota right now.

Maybe that had something to do with it?

9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I guess it was 2000 when the Target advertisement ran:

10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Oh. That's a Tina Turner cover. He wouldn't have had any say in whether or not it was used.

11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Prince didn't own the publishing rights to his songs? :confused: I know he didn't originally own the recordings of the Warner Bros. material, which was a point of contention, but always I assumed he owned the actual publishing rights, which I would think would give him say whether or not the song could be used in a commercial.

Dflow likes this.
  12. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

A little research turned up this from April 4, 2014. The final paragraph states: "NPG Music Publishing is now actively seeking placement for some of Prince's songs in film, television, video games and the commercial realm." Prince Brings Publishing In-House

13. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

He owned them after Controversy, so I imagine that he must have given permission. She covered a lot of his songs over the years, so maybe they knew each other in some capacity.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Rock 'N' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)" official video:

(From Love 4 One Another TV Special)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Yost, Jayseph and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Endorphinmachine" official video:

(From Interactive CD-Rom [recorded for TOTP]), I believe it's the original Come studio version with live vocals)

footprintsinthesand and Jayseph like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Dolphin" official video:

(This video was originally released a year ahead of The Gold Experience, early appearance of [first video with?] "slave" on his face)

footprintsinthesand and Jayseph like this.
  17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Honestly both are great! Play both :D

18. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

I love this song. I heard it first long before The Gold Experience came out. That Prince era was one of the best as it seems like you never knew what was going to happen next. Gold was just a mythical song at the time. Even though Gold is obviously a calculated Purple Rain copy it is still an amazing song. And Dolphin is one of his most impassioned songs of the era.

I remember when he was on the AMAs and it was so great to hear just snippets of songs from The Gold Experience. Seeing Amy Grant’s reaction in the audience after that performance was worth the price of admission.

19. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Disagree. Why is anything Prince does that's remotely mid-tempo and with a catchy, anthemic chorus "a Purple rain copy"? "Gold" sounds nothing like "Purple Rain".

Anyway, I've never cared for "EndorphinMachine". Prince seems to have been quite taken with it circa 1993-94, but I don't really understand why. "Dophin" is a good song, though. I like that one.

Nostaljack likes this.
  20. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

There are very few songs (actually I can’t think of any others besides Gold) that I would consider a Purple Rain copy but Gold definitely fits the bill. Soaring guitar solo. Check. Coda with a sing along part. Check. Three verses, three choruses building to a searing climax. Check. Gold was the new Purple in the mid-90s.

ilo2 likes this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have to agree that "Gold" is constructed very much in the same way as "Purple Rain", and didn't Prince himself admit that this was the idea?

I've never heard anyone call any other song a copy of "Purple Rain" either, but "Gold" is, at least as far as in structure.

Izozeles and Zongadude like this.
  22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Try "The ladder" on the follow-up album to PR, "Around the world in a day" ;)

Mal and Dan Steely like this.
  23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Don’t you think Grafitti Bridge was also a (failed) attempt to make a PR II?
    Can’t Stop.., being Let’s Go Crazy as a starter and Graffiti Bridge as a closing number much in the vein of PR’s closing anthem. Even the protégée’s songs on GF look alike to PR’s numbers were they included on the original album.
    i have always thought GF was probably His first serious misstep. Yes it has a couple of terrific song in within, but for an artist like him you can’t think there’s always Joy in Repetition .

KariK likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because it rocks?

And how can you dislike a song that uses the lyric "tippy-tippy-tin, my friend"? D

25. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

^ it’s all about the music :whistle: