Prince "Let's Go Crazy" Used in a Capital One Television Commercial..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jelloza, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl Thread Starter

2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Insert eyeroll here.

If your connection to this song will be forever tainted by its use in a commercial, then you have a shallow and tenuous connection to this song at best. It harms nothing.

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

This.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

ruined the song for me, now it takes me right out of the moment when I listen to it.

god forbid the estate just put out an album of fresh music, but instead they keep selling $20 coffee mugs, $100 sweatshirts and now will ruin iconic soulful songs to be sold out by corporate whores.

thanks

sekaer, Old Rusty and CBackley like this.
  6. masswriter

it seems that being okay with this sell-out is having a shallow and tenuous connection.

sekaer, Old Rusty, MoonPool and 2 others like this.
  7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I was shocked hearing it the other day. I guess there will be more of this type of thing from here on out

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It doesn’t ruin the song for me because nothing ever could. BUT, it certainly does help to ruin my already severely damaged faith in the actions and decisions of Prince’s estate.

Life as a Prince fan has long meant being annoyed by terrible and/or thoughtless business decisions. However, they were easier to accept when it was *Prince* himself making those bad decisions.

daveidmarx likes this.
  9. masswriter

The Prince estate is lazy and shockingly detached from their brother's intentions. The guy who fought for years for the return of his masters, the music we have grown up with since its release, the years of Prince being different and forward-thinking all to end up on a Capital One credit card commercial? The monsters of greed that wallow in other people's debt? Yes, good match. I guess since their overpriced Paisley Park tours can't make money for them, they have to stoop to even lower depths.

It's a 'sign o' the times."

RAZORMADE, sekaer, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  10. masswriter

Commercials used to have jingles, because jingles are a form of consumer brainwashing eliciting a Pavlovian reaction, like an ice cream truck. It won't totally ruin it, but it wil for sure take the magic out of hearing it, in which most cases I skip the song entirely.

CBackley and MoonPool like this.
  11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Is “Lets go crazy” the right message for a credit card company anyway?

12. masswriter

exactly, "let's go crazy" = spend irresponsibly

BluesOvertookMe and CBackley like this.
  13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Wait......people still watch commercials??? Is that still a thing??

Seriously though, how can that possibly taint a song/artist for you??

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  14. masswriter

for me, you want to believe your artist has soul and wouldn't sell out to the man ... and Prince did not. Now that he's gone, the nitwits with the power have taken it to task to squander his legacy.

Maybe when Dylan's gone someone will use "Like a Rolling Stone" to sell BMWs .... are you okay with that? because I'm not . . .

sekaer, CBackley and Jelloza like this.
  15. jjhunsecker

Well, it's obvios that they are making decisions that he never would

CBackley likes this.
  16. masswriter

maybe, maybe not ... I guess I'd be a tad more forgiving if they had released some new music and it sold poorly, and so they had to resort to desperate measures. But this isn't the case .. they sell crap like incense and candles, coffee mugs and clothing ... but hardly any music. They can't open the vault yet? Fine, sell a complete set of 12" recordings, or a Blu-ray of all of his music videos, or remastered officially-released recordings. Instead they sandwich 30 minutes of piano doodling between credit card commercials and overpriced junk.

I guess from a fan perspective, it has been and still is extremely frustrating when you have been waiting not just years but decades to hear the music in the vault, the good stuff, not the filler thrown on Crystal Ball or what was teased here and there by Prince, but at least one solid album's worth of curated songs that have been already produced and ready to go.

It's always teasing, suggesting, insinuating, but never offered outright. This was the case with Prince and now, apparently, so will it be by his heirs.

End of my rant.

daveidmarx and CBackley like this.
  17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

NOW......is that still a thing??? Because how I see it is the income from albums sharply dropped, and therefore artists had to find other ways to make income.

You could argue Prince is dead and no longer needs money...but what about other artists??

So.....if a "Like A Rolling Stone" appears on an advert and it means the artists has then has the money to pay his band, studio etc to produce an album of new music that they will never recoup the cost of, and I as a fan get to purchase that album of new music ......yup, I'm pretty good those economics.

18. masswriter

I said after Bob was gone, and others are making those decisions. Except here, it is a wrong analogy, because unlike Prince, Dylan is offering up his vault materials. He makes the likely outcome of this kind of selling-out forgivable.

In Prince's case, it seems that everything is being done to make money EXCEPT offer new music.

sekaer and CBackley like this.
  19. davers

davers Forum Resident

Wasn't it 25+ years ago that Nike used The Beatles "Revolution" in a shoe commercial? I realize it wasn't the Beatles themselves that licensed it, but tbis has been a trend for quite some time now.

trd likes this.
  20. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

Who cares?

JoeF. and trd like this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm not a Prince fan but I'm fairly certain I read a a recent thread said that the Prince Vaults were being opened and 35 albums of new material were in the works...what more could you ask for??

22. masswriter

that's empty promises . . .

CBackley likes this.
  23. masswriter

I care, is that okay?

sekaer and Jelloza like this.
  24. jjhunsecker

In this case, I was specifically referring to the Prince catalog....but you're right, it's been a trend for years

davers likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Awesome post. Thank you thank you thank you.

sekaer and masswriter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.